BMW Trampdrifter / Daily ride

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Silverfang, Sep 12, 2007.

1. 1an

1an Member

how much you paying for the e36 rack as i have one here im not using.

2. Silverfang

Silverfang F**knuggets

Pm'ed :thumbs:

3. Silverfang

Silverfang F**knuggets

And so after 2 days.... Ugh I loath this car so much however...

PIC01569.

One new hose from Pertec, good for 5000psi :wack: though cost me £80!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

New rack in place, after having to space it out with washers , drill out the holes to 11mm on the forward mounting points on the cross member and jacking the engine up to slip the new rack in. The return line is still E30 but was duely 'tweeked' to the right point in a vice but still needed some more in siture, real swine of a job to be honest!

PIC01568.

Mounting point on the E36 rack that needed cutting back to not foul the sump

PIC01566.

Got it all in, fired up and put fluid in....... no leaks :D :D :D
    More fun tomorrow resealing the fannymould... and then MOT cruch time :wack: :(

#43 Silverfang, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  4. driftnething

driftnething Member

drifto time

hi !

who/where is Pertec ? I would love one of those pipes !!! Conversion looks tidy :thumbs: I will do mine after my first drift day as i cant wait any more !!!:no:

i have managed to get mine firing up on the button now, need to do the oil/filter gbox oil diff oil etc and brake/clutch fluid and it will drive !

cant wait not long now, drift day soooon !!!

:nod::D:thumbs::nod:

:dw:

IM GOING TO BREAK STUFF !!!!!

#44 driftnething, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  5. Silverfang

Silverfang F**knuggets

Pertek = Pirtek UK : Europe's Number One provider of fluid transfer solutions & on-site repairs for hydraulic hoses, pipe fittings & couplings : Hose Reels, Hydraulic Oil, Hydraulic Fittings, Hose Fittings, Stainless Steel Fitting, Stainless Steel Pipes, Stai

Not cheap though at £80! for the single hose :(

When converting the rack to an E36 one there's a few things you need to do like i mentioned in my last post.

> Return Line can be E30, but does need bending a bit to get right, carefully though as it can split the pipe.

> I'm still making up the spacer for the E30 to E36 UJ's, though Sideways.Taff managed to get it together with only the E30 setup, could be a mis-match in the splines though from what i've seen.

> The Pressure line also needs to be routed under the sump behind the crossmember, and it's a complete b*****d! to get in line

> Rack's mounted on the forward holes but the rack also needs that lug cutting off to get it clear of the sump, it's daaaaaamned close too! :wack:

Should be all ready for the september dywb day though :D

6. Silverfang

Silverfang F**knuggets

Well, finally finished. Just need to get the car tracked up and off to the MOT
    bay tomorrow at 3.40pm

PIC01570.

Just got my setup for my conversion, it's a bit bodged since i miscalulated the length of spacer i needed :smash: I'll correct this in the updated drawings if anyone's interested in having a spacer made up for their E30 to covert it to E36 rack spec and do away with that crappy rubber donut.

#46 Silverfang, Aug 20, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  7. Silverfang

Silverfang F**knuggets

MOT passed :D though didn't last long before something went pop :(

Thumped a road cone on the way home on Thursday (thankfully only coming off a roundabout at 20mph) but when i was extracting the remains of the cone, noted a lot of coolent coming out :eek:

Managed to knock the bottom hose loose but there was more to come, seems a weeping leak turned into a big one and the coolent light was back on Friday evening....

So off to ECP and one new radiator later I'm back up and running :D be it £90 down :rolleyes:

8. Cyruz

Cyruz Sell Out

Arg man, you make everything expensive! Get parts from e30zone for less rape prices! When we fitted an e36 rack to an e30 we just ditched the P/S to avoid the ball ache.

9. Silverfang

Silverfang F**knuggets

I know :cry: and normally i would go to the zone. the rack though i wanted to keep the power steering, and the results are a daaaaaaaaamned sight nicer considering the costs i put in. :D

Problem is i needed a new radiator like TODAY! and couldn't risk it on the old one. I've got tickets to the BTCC and i'd rather have the peace of mind knowing it's got a brand new rad in the car rather a second hand one that's got unknown history.

I've had problems with using second hand parts before... :smash:

10. Silverfang

Silverfang F**knuggets

Holy thread reserection :eek:

Been busy, what with working at SKF and generally having crappy weather meant that i've not done too much with it.

However.... managed to fit the front wheel bearings i got from SKF, the RTA bushes and rear wheel bearings still need fitting along with the braided hoses and touring anti roll bars i've got stashed away..

Though it's been more about keeping me on the road last few weeks, clutch died after it turned out the previous owner neglected to replace the rocker cover gasket :mad: Net result was oil down the back of the engine (couldn't trace the leak till then) and one dead clutch.

I couldn't do the clutch on the drive and time was too short so ended up taking it to a clutch centre instead... who bodged it royally up by forgetting to bolt in the starter motor properly!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad: :no: :no::euge::euge:

Now got a 'nice' crunchy start up now, thankfully i kept the old starter which is still working fine (Changed out after an electrical issue was wrongly diagnosed) but NOT impressed!

And finally the water pump's gradually getting worse, now crunchy and squeeling after 3 years... new one on the way from SKF.. cost to me £0 :D

Hopefully have some updates over the xmas holidays, MOOOOOOCHO thanks to Mad Cas for bailing me out with useage of his workshop :thumbs:

11. Silverfang

Silverfang F**knuggets

New Anti roll bars in : Check

New water pump in: Check

Starter swapped: Check... still crunchy :rolleyes:

Massive improvement on the car's general handling? Oh yes :smokin: :D

12. Jimthejunior

Jimthejunior Represent

You got a new clutch in? You want one?

13. Mad Cas

Mad Cas wrecked

Glad to hear those ARB's did the trick, If you want the rear subframe bushes and lines doing give me a shout, whether you want to have a bash or if you want me to do 'em.

14. Silverfang

Silverfang F**knuggets

New clutch went in about a month ago :wack:

And cheers on the offer Cas, may well take you up on that in the summer providing i've got time between working for that Formula Ford team

15. Ed

Ed Anti-Dibs

Nice one, good to meet you today :thumbs: At least someone did something semi constructive today :rolleyes: I spent the day driving round various places and taking crap to people for hours and hours :wack:

16. Silverfang

Silverfang F**knuggets

Been to Autosports...

Steeringwheel.

Just ordered the boss kit since no-one there had one :rolleyes:

17. retro-ed

retro-ed Flicks 'n' Kicks

Sweet ass wheel mate... You wont believe the effect of sticking a deep dish suede wheel has on has on your driving... Prepare to attack everything at twice the normal speed and feel like a rally legend!

18. Silverfang

Silverfang F**knuggets

I know, I can't stop messing about with it and i was gutted not to find a boss kit at Autosports! :cry: :cry::cry:

*grumbles about having to wait till tuesday or so..*

19. Mike@TDSW

Mike@TDSW Active Member

Lol I spent all day walking around Autosport asking for a boss for my identical wheel to fit an e36.

20. Silverfang

Silverfang F**knuggets

LOL! I did that today too :wack: