Lightweight propshaft for R33 GTS-turbo

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Simon Skyline, May 14, 2013.

1. Simon Skyline

Simon Skyline Member

Seems like a good mod to do with plenty of advantages. Does anyone know where I can get a lightweight propshaft for my R33 GTS-turbo?

I asked Torq Line about the carbon fibre ones they make for the GTR but they said it wouldn't fit the GTS & didn't seem interested in producing one in carbon / ally, etc :mad:

1) Are there any lightweight ones out there that you know of?

2) Are there any issues with them or single piece ones?

3) What material would be best?

2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

That's a whole lot of money to spend on something you'll really not feel

3. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

Agreed. Bit of a Gran Turismo mod.

Do you have a lightweight flywheel?

4. Trickysadd

Trickysadd Member

I'm not sure it would make any difference either. When I was sorting out one for my Soarer race car, the recommendation I had was a chap who makes props for Nascar etc. Fairly expensive ,and a fat one piece rather than the soarers original 2 piece with a centre bearing.

But the point was strength and balance rather than weight.Also I HAD to have one made as I changed gearboxes etc. The recommendation came from a design engineer with Torro Rosso F1 . ( not that it means anything)

Anyway , why would you want this on a road car, assuming thats what it is.

5. Simon Skyline

Simon Skyline Member

Yeah got a lightweight flywheel from Driftworks & love it :dw::dw::dw:

Mainly fast road car but would like to venture into some trackdays in the future. Saw it on the R34 Nismo GTR & a few Time Attack cars & thought it would be something to look into when funds permit... Do I not believe the hype then & is it a waste of money? :p

Also thinking of underdrive pulleys & possibly electric water pump in the future. Thinking every little counts, you know. Any issues with either of these?

6. Simon Skyline

Simon Skyline Member

Do you really not feel the benefit of one? Or is it just a case of not enough for the money concerned?

7. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Underdrive pulleys, electric water pump, carbon prop, etc etc all make small differences, but barely enough to feel, especially on a fairly ordinary and pretty heavy R33GTST.

the lightweight flywheel will make more of a difference than all of them put together in my experience, and even that's not a ground breaker.

It's value for money same as everything is. You can also spend 500quid on some tiny F1 style carbon mirrors if you want, technically you'll be improving aerodynamics and reducing weight, making your car faster. But will you feel it? Will you bollocks.

8. Trickysadd

Trickysadd Member

I agree with Stav, if you are building a race car to strictly controlled regs where every piece will or may make a difference then yes things like this are worth considering. Especially if you are limited with what you can do regarding tuning. But even then some mods are just not worth the expence. If you look at a lot of British GT cars now they are using fibreglass and cheaper materials again rather than carbon fibre as the advanatages of carbon over glass in some areas is just not woth the outlay. Especially parts that get damaged every weekend.
    I'm no expert at all but a middle aged club racer with a small budget, but I would have thought that good old fashioned lighter panels and some tried and tested engine mods would be the best place for your cash.