Thinking of building a track, what do people think?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by D.I.Y Drifter, Apr 6, 2012.

1. D.I.Y Drifter

D.I.Y Drifter Member

Seen a thread on here about someone saying that they were sorting a drift day out at the mcfc etc! Not sure if this is still an ongoing thing or not as ive contacted the guy who put the thread up but havent heard owt from him, also contacted someone from driftone but still awaiting their reply, so I was thinking about doing something like this.

Me and a mate of mine have a very large area of land that could be used to build a drift track! So just gauging peoples interest etc to see if it would be worthwhile doing it. The land we have is situated next to a main major motorway so wouldnt have a problem with noise etc, also a part of the land is been used as a moto x track and we are building a 4x4 track now too! The moto x track has been up and running for a couple of years now with no problems or issues, so dont see us having any bother having a tarmac track!

At the moment the land is just feilds but we do have ourselves a big jcb already there that we can use to dig out were the track would be. Then it'd be a matter of laying some foundation (hard core) and tarmacing it, i know it sounds like a massive job but to be honest isnt that hard really!

So what do people think?

I need feedback, ideas, could do with some drawings of track layouts etc.

Come on peeps if everyone chips in with ideas and things we can get moving on this asap!!

All the best Mick.

2. Smilybrad

Smilybrad Active Member

I think this is a GREAT idea! Where would the track be area of the country wise?
    I'd love to help out in anyway I can but the biggest concern would be getting local council approval, insurance and local residents approval etc.
    Sure there's alot of work involved but it would be great to get another proper track that doesn't get closed because of noise ever couple of years.
    Brad =)

3. Munkul

Munkul Active Member

I dont mean to piss on your chips, but

Decent tarmac costs a fortune. Unless you have contacts for getting cheap materials, I cant see how you'd manage to build a decent surface thats a decent size for less than £10k i other will know better than me, but it cost us £5k just to have our 1/2 mile single lane lonning resurfaced (ie a thin layer laid over what was already there) and that was a special single pass job that was CHEAP - other companies were wanting nearer £10k for the same job, using conventional tarmac methods.

Half-assing the job without levelling it properly, and cutting corners will lead to a shit surface that will degrade quickly and sag, leaving an unusable surface within a few years.

If you work out a way that doesnt cost much but leaves a nice surface (which is important!) then by all means, awesome idea!

#3 Munkul, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  4. docwra

docwra Active Member

If you say so dude. This makes for quite an interesting read: Rennlist Discussion Forums - View Single Post - What does it cost to build a race track?

I used to do a bit of groundwork, to survey, dig out, hardcore and cover road you are looking at the best part of £1000 per metre for a 2 lane road ..... if you consider how much it would cost to redo your driveway and multiply that by 1000, adding another £15K on for surveying you might be somewhere close ;)

5. MrLuke

MrLuke #172

You can get 2 lane tarmac for £500-£750 a meter. Its not like it is going to have lorries running over it, also your link is a 2.5 mile track for track day experiences etc whereas what is more achievable is a banger track type setup...Meihan!

6. docwra

docwra Active Member

I know, thats a much bigger deal, but it gives you an idea. To take a brownfield site and build a track isnt going to be pocket money, thats all Im saying :)

7. Munkul

Munkul Active Member

So if you wanted half a kilometer (cos any shorter would be shit) you could do it for £25k-£37k.

Hmm... sounds tempting, where did I put my small change?

:p

8. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

If it happens great but I'm not gonna go get a semi just yet

9. doughnutter

doughnutter Member

It'll be expensive to build for sure!!

How close to the motorway? Not close enough that tyre smoke could become an issue??? I imagine the Po Po would shut anything down if it affected visability on a motorway pretty quickly.

10. akinadan79

akinadan79 Active Member

You've got ambition mate which is good to see, and I don't know your financial position but if you think that it's possibly a viable option then maybe the next step is to go and get advice on the legal/licencing/insurance aspects of what you're proposing (local councils etc) and get some quotes together so that you've got some solid figures to ponder over and then see where the next step takes you bud

It'd be nice if you can pull it all together mate, good luck with it

11. D.I.Y Drifter

D.I.Y Drifter Member

Hi all

First of all I was aking people for ideas etc, didnt reckon on people being so negative!!

Munkul just for your information mate I do know what sort of costs are involved to do this, i do have alot of contacts within the building community etc. Do people really think that I would put a thread up like this if I wasnt aware of whats to be involved??

Things Im not really up on are planning laws n regs etc but no biggy as theres plenty of people out there that know this sort of stuff and more. Im not worried about that sort of thing tho to be honest as theres always ways around things.

As i did say earlier in this thread we already have a moto x track there what people come and thrash their bikes n quads about on a weekend and we have no neighbours, the one we do have is well up for this and were far enough away fropm the mway as not to be an issue.

As for location its gonna be in the Northwest is about all am willing to say at this moment in time.

Mr. Luke you're not too far off what av been thinking about mate. I dont want peeeps thinking its gonna be another Silverstone or sumat lol!

Thanks for all of the input, keep it coming.......

Cheers Mick

12. Maxdrift

Maxdrift Member

doesnt really have to a track could just be somthing like a stright into 3 flowling corners then a dirt track comming off it back to the start. (level mind for you lowered cars)

13. mint

mint touch my fruit

Build it.. and they will come.

PLEASE recreate minami... that track isnt too big but its just off the wall insane to drift. Down hill, wall, tyres at the bottom, humps to jump.. DO THIS MAN!

[​IMG]

^Top of Minami

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^Mid way hump

[​IMG]

^Wall after hump

It may seem alot.. big.. etc etc.. but it would be so worth it!

14. hug - lo

hug - lo Active Member

Great idea... please see pm!

15. cory

cory Member

Cost my dad £50k to get 3/4 mile single farm track tarmaced like said by a few people already it's not cheap. Also have you looked into planning permission for what ur doing. Prob a few grand for that too

16. D.I.Y Drifter

D.I.Y Drifter Member

@ Hug - lo, Hi mate will reply when ive a bit more time mate just letting you no im not being ignorant pal! What you said makes a lot of sense..

@ Cory i'd of tarmaced it for less than that mate lol!

@ Mint, love that track set up and i'd love to build sumat like that mate but im afraid I dont have that sort of budget!!

@ Maxdrift, you're getting the idea mate unlike others lol.

Keep it coming guys as everythings welcome

Cheers Mick

17. JohnJ

JohnJ Active Member

Mick, don't know how you tried to contact me but I didn't see it.

We'll speak at Buxton, very interested.

Funny how people who don't know you tell you you can't afford it. Lol.

18. greenbug22

greenbug22 Member

hey up mick, fook me ur gonna be busy lol get it built lad plenty will come. just needs to be a simple open tarmac'd space so the track layout can be changed. instead of spending your ugandan dollars on a hump and a permanent wall, just get some of them concrete temp' barriers and chop and change the track. see ya at buxton anyway.:wack:

19. D.I.Y Drifter

D.I.Y Drifter Member

Hi John I sent you a text message a few days ago, in fact it was before I posted this thread mate, thats if you're on the same number.

And yes you're bang rite about the last sentence lol

See you at the weekend John.

All the best Mick

20. D.I.Y Drifter

D.I.Y Drifter Member

Hi Stu

I have to keep busy or i'll seize mate, ha ha! But you know exactly what I mean, why is it so hard?

Or should i say " Keep it simple stupid!" Lol You cant get a better motto than that Stu.

I'll get sumat together mate, thats a fact! See you next weekend mate, cant wait! Been looking forward to this one Stu!

All the best Mick