BMW Trampdrifter / Daily ride

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Silverfang, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Silverfang

Silverfang F**knuggets

As most people know about my Manta project... or that's stalled out cause of lack of space and funds with me being at university :cry:, I've decided to start a thread on my E30 daily runner

So.. winding back to December '05 I brought the BMW from ebay for a knock down price having made a offer. So headed home that night with a new car to replace the now dead Manta 1800.

DSC00858.

Almost a week later I had the car fully serviced to BMW Maintenance 2 standards and a fresh set of springs and front tyres before friend of mine did a few pictures for his website.

9eb9e9f9.

Bar swapping off a few bits and bobs, including having Powerflex bushes installed into the rear subframe after i popped one, curing a misfire with fresh leads and a new dizzy and fresh rear tyres, the car continued on though the MOT without a hitch. It passed first time with only an exhaust bush being an advisory!

And so i went to university, and the BMW went with me, though in December '06 on the way to MPH at the NEC , a truck ahead pulled this into the road...

Thecause.

Which resulted in this...

Thepuddleandcar.

The car got towed home and I had to survive for the best part of a month without transport while at university (Anyone who's lugged their shopping home on foot knows that 'fun' :wack:

So when i got back for Christmas the car needed a new sump, a quick appeal on E30zone resulted in a sump for a bargain price and so i spent a nice 6 hours freezing myself silly

PIC00807.

PIC00808.

So after that happened I decided it was time to sort the suspension issue, by this time the car was bouncing about on the springs, and it felt like a boat.

After a trawl though E30Zone, a 325i Sport turned up that was being broken locally for bits. A deal was struck and a few weeks later i picked up this little lot, in addition to which i added a set of front lower Powerflex wishbone bushes.

PIC00948.

PIC00952.

bushes.

After cleaning.... I discovered this :D :D :D

PIC00950.

Since then I've sorted a few niggling issues with the car (replaced the shot ariel, sorted the misplaced passager window, MOT and what not..)

Currently though i'm on the hunt for a LSD from a sport, in 3.91 flavour if anyone knows one going in good condition :smash: I'd be grateful!!!

Plans are for the diff to go in on with another Powerflex bush and replacing of the 'donut' in the prop since i've had one new one spare floating about and 2 steelie wheels for cheapo tyres so i can go have some fun finally :D :D :D

Oh and a iS front splitter BRAND NEW from BMW :D

Attached Files:

#1 Silverfang, Sep 12, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  2. MJG

MJG Active Member

Get a welder, LSDs are for rich boys and homos. Good write up though, and you gotta love BMW sumps :D

3. sideways.taff

sideways.taff - www.tafftune.com -

Even I've got one in the E30! :p

4. Hammond

Hammond Active Member

Bad luck with the sump, I did remember you posting that up a while back :( Looks cool tho, welder for the win! :thumbs:

5. Silverfang

Silverfang F**knuggets

Problem is i weld the diff, the sodding thing's gonna cack it's guts on the floor :wack: Bearings are SHOT!!!! :(

Sides student loan coming soon and sides i can reshim the LSD at uni :D

6. griffo20022

griffo20022 Active Member

That E30 looks tidy as fook, very smart :) Good thread i like it alot!

7. MJG

MJG Active Member

Fair enough then mate, no point welding a fucked diff lol. Put up a guide as how to shim it when you do it too, nobody has done that that I've seen. We could host it on TrampDrift and give you the credits if you wanted.

Good luck with it :thumbs:

8. Silverfang

Silverfang F**knuggets

They're mechanical plate diffs, which are pretty simillar to the ones we run in the FS cars, dead easy if you've seen the guts of them before ;)

9. ChizFab

ChizFab Member

hook us up daaaaawg.

and yeah, walking with ur shopping sucks balls.

10. mouwt

mouwt McLovin

Good car, I want one.

11. Eddy

Eddy Member

You cant shimm a E30 viscous LSD,cuz its gay-ishly made...Ive tryed it,and got sqat..:smash:

Nice Cube,love the bilsteins,premium stuff fot it:nod:

12. Silverfang

Silverfang F**knuggets

Thought they were plate types :confused: Friend of mine did his for his E30.

13. Silverfang

Silverfang F**knuggets

Score!, had a tip off yesterday from a friend about an E30 in a scrappy, they're gonna move it so we can see about dropping the diff out but the engine's a 2.5 that looks virtually new! :eek:

Me thinks we may get 2.5 powah for it soon :D Also got this for £20 too while i was there

PIC01189.

Full OBC, just need to get the air temp sensor outta the car with the loom i hope :smash:

#13 Silverfang, Sep 20, 2007
  14. Silverfang

Silverfang F**knuggets

Well, no luck with the 2.5 :( Engine had been partly stripped by the time we got to it and wasn't able to rip it out in time. Seems the scrapyard's shutting down start of December! :cry: shame it was a old skool one where you could still take a look around and pick bits off :D

Anycase, Been a bit busy, the OBC is now in (plans for timing my 'Ring' runs are also afoot :wack:) And after someone on another forum popped up with custom made sidemounts for E30s , i duely snapped up a set for the seat i brought here from BabyBHP :D

Result..

PIC01199.

Super low in the car and dammmmned comfy :D Also getting a 25th Birthday present to myself in the form of a BMW 3.91 LSD from Bristol :wack:

PLUS! Friend of mine has a few old E30 bottletops with shot tyres on... and is giving them to me for free :D :D :D

Now whens the next DWYB day...? :wack:

#14 Silverfang, Oct 8, 2007
  15. mouwt

mouwt McLovin

Nice seat, score on the wheels too, Top job.

16. Silverfang

Silverfang F**knuggets

What a day...:wack:

Been to Bristol and back again, diff is now here with me :D just gotta order up some new seals and a polybush for the back, Next weekend it's getting installed :D

17. Mike@TDSW

Mike@TDSW Active Member

They are:rolleyes:. Keep up the good work:thumbs:

18. royal

royal S1- F.T break!

Nice thread, been wrestling with mine all weekend.

19. Silverfang

Silverfang F**knuggets

PIC01201.

...... itching to test this :D :D :D

Still waiting on parts to come though though :(

#19 Silverfang, Oct 15, 2007
  20. Eddy

Eddy Member

Nice:thumbs:
    The 325ix had a viscous LSD- I got it on my 325i when I bougth it,and it just barely spins both wheels when drifting on track(the oil gets really hot),and then bhen it over heats it acts as an open diff. I tryed to shim it,but there is no room for aditional shims,the original shims are 1,6mm thick,but I got 2mm from BMW,and it didnt want to turn when I put it together...sux big time..

The plate diff-if in good condition-is much more robust and efitiant,just change the oil reguarly( I recomend Castrol Saf-x):thumbs: