E36 323i budget build (1st timer)

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by chris1811, Aug 13, 2015.

1. chris1811

chris1811 Member

So picked up this beauty today......
    [​IMG]

It's an e36 323i. Very tidy for an e36, no nocks or bangs, rattles or whines only a tinie bit of bubbling on one arch. Other than that it's solid.

Comes with Coilovers, welded Diff, spare open Diff, Huge whack off cone filter and uprated fan with interior switch.

Future plans;

328 sport LSD
    M50 manifold
    Either cat back system or full decat
    Remap
    Short shifter
    Buckets
    Full strip
    Front and rear braces
    Hydro handbrake
    Uprated brakes

Majority of this will be done over time as I gain experience especially the power mods.

For now however what do you guys recommend I do for a start in terms of tyres and spare rims etc etc?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Will update this thread as I go along :)

Cheers all, looking forward to it!!!!

2. FAbity6032

FAbity6032 Member

Probably want to keep the rims/tires pretty standard for best drifting results.

3. beetlejuiced

beetlejuiced New Member

Hi mate!
    I have 328i sport lsd in fully working order for sale if you interested. Both wheels locking properly. £250 plus postage or collection from Peterborough.

4. chris1811

chris1811 Member

Definitely interested will pm you.

5. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

A 328 LSD is not a great idea. BMW LSD's have a tendency to wear out and become harder and harder to get to lock up. Plus 328's have a shit ratio. If you want a straight swap diff then get yourself a 325 welded one, better ratio.

Wheels - something with some width so you can get a decent width tyre on there and with a decent offset, at least on the front anyway, so the car goes where you point it.

Full decat on 6 cylinder engines deffinatly helps, I'd bin off the 323 exhaust though and get hold of a 328 one as they're twin pipped so less restrictive than the single pipped 323 one.

Looks like someone has tried to fit some washers on them coilover bolts to give it some camber, they're fitted wrong.

#5 LiamE36, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  6. chris1811

chris1811 Member

Good points! Well it's already running a welded Diff, no idea what ratio it is, but oh my it slides with a wee clutch drop :)

It has spacers on the front too, not sure whether that's worth it or not to keep them there or shift them to the back??

Yea I plan on fitting a 328 exhaust or a custom less restrictive one at least but thats all for the future.

Just need to get the frigging thing MOT'd first haha

7. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

They are doing fuck all fitted there. But buy top mounts and do it properly.

8. chris1811

chris1811 Member

Not quite sure what you mean?

By spacers I meant hub/wheel spacers.

I'm not new to cars and basic mechanics but I am new to drifting so please forgive me if I sound thick ha :)

9. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

I think he means the "camber washers".

I'd keep the wheel spacers up front for now. They probably need to be there with standard wheels, they will probably rub on the coilover if you try taking them off.

It will still slide fine on a standard ratio diff but you will deffinatly notice the difference if/when you do change it for a better ratio'd one.

10. chris1811

chris1811 Member

How do I find out what ratio the Diff is!
    Is it a case of opening it up or is it stamped?

11. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

There's normally a little metal tab attached to one of the bolts that hold the back cover on, I think it's stamped on that.

12. chris1811

chris1811 Member

Taa, will take a look Later on :)

13. 325i_Hoonigan

325i_Hoonigan Member

great car but serious fail on those camber washers, get a 3.64 diff and weld it !

14. chris1811

chris1811 Member

Yea tell me about it......haha

Well she failed her MOT this morning.... Surprisingly not because of the camber washers ha!

Failed on both front ball joints being 'dangerous'. There's was a good couple of CM play in the joints. Other than that she is solid :)

So replacing them with solid bushes and away we go!!

Looking forward to getting some skids in!!

Not sure what ratio my Diff is, but I think it's the standard one. It's already welded and skids pretty well.

Soon as the MOT is sorted I'll be replacing the drivers seat with a bucket seat and away we go :)

Is there any particular seats you guys recommend for the 36? Preferably a recliner??

#14 chris1811, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  15. 325i_Hoonigan

325i_Hoonigan Member

there is a diff ratio tag with the ratio, the first number is the ratio

[​IMG]

I would def check the diff if you have a 2.93 ratio diff you will be surprised how much better a 3.46 or 3.64 diff will work

16. chris1811

chris1811 Member

17. Dangerous Ryan

Dangerous Ryan New Member

Hey dude, I built a 323i touring myself from a standard road car, now building my second 323i but this ones a coupe.

My advice:
    Don't get a reclining buckets (no back strength)

Don't fit an M50 (for what it costs to do right, is about £200 less than a 328i engine)

Don't mess about with camber shims (buy adjustable top mounts or m3 top mounts)

Do check your engine mounts are sound (by gently jacking up the engine and looking at the mounts)

Do get that air filter away/shielded from that hot engine!!

Do remove the asc butterfly using this
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=131539646707&globalID=EBAY-GB

As for the diff, I ran a standard welded 323i diff because it suited my local track. You need to figure out where you're going to drift and at what speeds. I was at the end of 2nd gear never 3rd.

Wheels wise, I ran 205/45/15 on the front about 30-35psi fitted to e34 bbs wheels the offset was ET20
    any old 15" bmw wheels on the back with 195/45/15 with 40-45psi, more pressure will reduce the grip but will take your face off if they explode so use caution.

Most of all get your arse in the drivers seat and get out on track, talk to people who have e36s get them out with you in the car and see what they say it needs, thats what I did and by the time I sold mine it was damn near perfect!

18. Gogzy

Gogzy Active Member

keep the 323 engine, absolutely nothing wrong with them just folk who think they need more power and cant drift who cant use them.i had one i loved it and that was after having a 540 manual.

get a fixed back bucket seat...any will do

19. chris1811

chris1811 Member

Cheers guys sound advice! Well my first session is on Sunday so all being well she will be mint. Going to invest In a Hydro and bucket at later stage, but for now sticking with whatever got.

Would rather spend the money on rubber :)

Will post any pics I get Sunday evening....

20. Dangerous Ryan

Dangerous Ryan New Member

Excellent! Enjoy.