How to get 550+bhp from a sr20 s14 road car

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Ciril, Nov 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Ciril

Ciril New Member

Is it possible to get this sort of power reliably from a sr20 as a daily fast road car would like to know anyone's setup with this kind of power gearbox used engine build cost turbo setup etc or is it better to just drop a rb26 or 2jz in

2. 200sx_

200sx_ PS13 x TD Power

How to get a 550hp SR20 and build it correctly = be prepared to pay ALOT.

Gearbox wise, RB25 gearbox conversion will be needed as a bare minimum, but i'd strongly advise a Z33 gearbox however.

As for which engine, thats up to you. I personally prefer an SR20 so spent alot of time and money building it right, whereas I could've slapped a 2JZ & GT3076/HX35, made more power and probably have some change left over.

3. H05TYL

H05TYL Member

Yes it is possible to make that power reliably, if you spend a lot of money.

A ~400bhp S14 will be a faster road car though.
    How so?
    Simple, it's much easier to keep a smaller/quicker responding turbo on boost more of the time.
    Even if you went 2JZ though, traction becomes a limiting factor to how much power you can really use on the road.

My flatmates S14 has 400-450bhp (276kw @ wheels, sr20, 16g td05, e85, 20psi by 3500rpm), with mca suspension, gktech knunckles, etc... on 255 semi slicks it's pretty useable, on street tyres in the dry it's pretty loose. In cold/greasy/wet conditions you pretty much can't use full throttle at all, it'll light up in 3rd with more than half throttle.

4. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

Buy forza Motorsport and a xbox

5. Ciril

Ciril New Member

Thanks for replys really appreciate it no wankers about playing Xbox please ... As for budget should have 7-8 k for build simply as it's the cleanest imported s14 I've ever seen and want to put the money into it so looking to see money wise if it's better to keep the sr20 and get more power out that way if so probably looking to get 2.2 stroker get few more ccs already car has a lot of supporting upgrades so money will be all on engine gearbox turbo and ecu

6. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

I can tell you 100% that if you want it to be reliable it will be very expensive. But all depends on the route you take and how much 'full proofing' of an Sr you want to do.
    I have just had Mazworx build me a sr22 with det head. No stroker crank, 90mm pistons and Darton liners.
    The engine alone with nothing bolted to it is coming in at around 10k:wack:

However, it *should be more than happy enough at power figures far exceeding 600bhp.

You could build a reliable 550bhp engine for less. And I dare say within your budget.
    But do not expect to just piston and rod drop a Sr block and think you will be good to go.

If you need any advice, or help with regards to spec then please ask, I'll be more than happy to tell you what I've done.
    Either that, or give Mazworx a call and go through it them. They will be helpful and in my opinion, one of the best outfits there are when it comes to building extremely powerful Sr motors