The Sergeant

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by SLAMbert, Feb 3, 2010.

1. SLAMbert

SLAMbert Member

Well its nearly done so i thought i'd update my project.

She started off in life as a MA70 with a 7MGE engine and w58 box, now shes a JZA70 with a 1JZGTE and a R154 box.

I got his a payment from a friend for helping him restore a Ford model A hot rod, it was completly standard when i got it, red, laquer peel everywhere, sawblades, but relitivly rot free.

I got it mot'd and started to enjoy myself.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was how it looked standard, I then started to do the usual, uprated brakes, coilovers, LSD, bucket seats, harness' , stripped it all out and removed the sound deadening, some decent wheels, stainless exhaust, uprated air filter etc, and after a while it looked like this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But then one night the engine went bang, so i took it upon myself to do what i'd wanted to do from the moment i got her and swap the engine out.

So after abit of thought i decieded to go with a 2jzge, it was offered to me cheap with all ancilleries and i could single turbo it relitivly easily so i took it, but a few days down the line i went off the idea and bought a 1jz.

So we ripped out the 7m.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To be honest i was'nt fussed about painting the bay, but while it was out i done it the same colour as the interior.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also got stuff like

R154 box and 1jz bellhousing,
    R154 Prop,
    JZA70 mounts,
    Uprated clutch,
    Lightweight flywheel,
    Frount mount intercooler,
    Alloy radiator,
    Turbo timer,
    Fcd,
    Recaros, and abit more.

I could have uprated bits and bits but to be honest i just wanted it to run, ill worry about bigger power once its driving and ive had abit of fun.

For the wiring and all electical work and the loom i got in contact with the guys from MB automotive, these guys really know their stuff, within 2 nights it was up and running.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While it was up in the air i intended to get everything sorted for MOT, any rust that needed adressing and undersealing the whole thing and most importantly the exhaust but i couldnt resist a little run in it so i took it around the industrail estate and it was amazing.

So i got it back into the unit and started to get it prepped for MOT.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The main problem i've got at the moment is the exhaust, i bought a downpipe from japspeed and it didnt fit properly, it hit the gearbox and part of the chassis leg, so after emails were exchanged i agreed to re make it to fit and get a partial refund.

[​IMG]

I had to add a 30 degree bend which gave me a distance of 6inches so it cleared the gearbox mount.

[​IMG]

I also had to cut and re possition the flange as it was cocked at a funny angle.

[​IMG]

This was the finished product, and the next stage is extending the exsisting centre section to fit with the modified downpipe.

Ill update this more when things happen in the next few days.

Cheers for reading guys.

#1 SLAMbert, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  2. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

looks mean!

3. Jason

Jason Nurse?

that paint job has come up well! really suits the car.. with the new wheels should look great!

4. Cyruz

Cyruz Sell Out

Massive awesome, loving this...

5. SLAMbert

SLAMbert Member

Cheers for the comments guys:thumbs:

#5 SLAMbert, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  6. dorikiddo

dorikiddo Member

mk3's rule!

7. SLAMbert

SLAMbert Member

So i started hooking up my gauges and stuff ready for the road.

[​IMG]

Boost gauge all in and wired, and im now waiting for the pod to install the temp gauge.

I also got a set of rims to use for drifting, i'm going to take them apart and paint them to match the colour scheme of the car but other then that for what i paid for them they're not to bad.

[​IMG]

Sterns splits 17 x 8 and 17 x 9.

I also should be extending the centre section tommorow at work and makeing the shotgun's to replace the oversized backbox.

With any luck it'll be ready for MOT this weekend!

8. mk1rob

mk1rob Member

looks sweet. love these cars

9. hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper Member

Awesome work Scott! You know i've loved this car since day one,look forward to seeing her running in person

10. charlieog1243

charlieog1243 Member

looks the tits good work!

11. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

Like it!
    Nice work :)

12. SLAMbert

SLAMbert Member

Cheers for the kind words guys.

i finally got the video of the first run up on youtube, it took hours.
    Appologies for it being abit long, the camera falling off and my driving but i had sooo much fun.

Well the last things to get sorted was mainly the exhaust, i fitted the downpipe and found that with the modifications done to it the centre section wasnt long enough to meet it so i had to cut the flange off the end and weld in a 32cm sleeve so it met and kept the original length of the exhaust.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It fits in place but the rubber mount was sheered so i had to get one today before i can perminantly fix it.

BUT in other news im sure everyone knows you cant have something nice without someone else fucking it up, well i went to my unit the other day only to find the unit flooded, every inch of the floor was wet and it looked like(a great deal of) water had fallen into my engine bay, it was dripping out the bottom with no signs of leaks anywhere, also paint on the wing had risen which suggested water from above.

At first i thought there was a hole in the roof of the unit but no leak of even signs of damp, then i looked around everyone elses car and only mine was visably wet, also things next to the car (rave subs from the bloke next to me) were bone dry and they were only a foot away.

Anyway long story short i pulled the coil packs and plugs and they were dry, but when i started it up it ran like crap, so i topped up the fuel and ran it again and it ran better but still not as sweet, the plugs were slightly charcoly so i ordered some new ones today.

But basically it seems someone threw a mass amount of water over my engine bay.

Dont share units guys.

13. Timmy

Timmy Member

really love the look of this! its awesome :D

14. metaldrift

metaldrift Member

That is one of the cooler older supras i have ever gazed upon! The matte green fucking rocks! :thumbs:

15. SLAMbert

SLAMbert Member

Cheers guys!

Well after the water incident i changed the plugs and fitted the bonnet so it couldnt happen again, then i wired in the new temp gauge and sender, it was'nt reading correctly and the engine got very hot quickly.

I thought a airlock was to blame so i opened the cap and turned the heaters on and let it get upto normal temperature, nothing changed. It was then that my mate suggest that the thermostat might have had it, so we removed various pipes and stuff to get the the thermostat and as he had suggest, it had had it, so we changed that.

I then had to decide what to do for a backbox, as i didnt want the huge mongoose system i had on it previously so i decided to make a shotgun.

Started off with 2 pieces of 2.5inch pipe, cut them with the grinder and them flattened them out on the lynicher.

[​IMG]

Then i made sure they butted up correctly, excuse my tutor.

[​IMG]

I then made 2 'wedges' to straighten the angle out, then i welded it all.

[​IMG]

I then welded on the shotgun ends.

[​IMG]

After that i welded on a metre of 2.5inch pipe so i could chop it down to size in the unit.
    This was the end result.

[​IMG]

And compared to the original backbox.

[​IMG]

Once it was all fitted it sounded perfect, not stupidly loud and chavvy but nice when its under load, im still having issues with the downpipe though it the form of it hangs way to low, i cut it to fit up but now i cant raise it any higher, i think im just going to fabricate one from scratch after the mot on monday.

So i got it out of the unit for pre mot checks and found it wasnt running right, took it for a drive down the yard and under load it coughed/spit and missed like a bitch, so started to do all the usual checks, plugs, coils, TPS, wiring, timing etc only to find they were all fine.

It wasnt until a mate of mine said 'hold on whats this' and re attached a vaccum hose to the map sensor that it ran perfectly!

So its now all ready for the mot.

[​IMG]

16. ianlea73

ianlea73 Well-Known Member

Cool project,you got skills mate.Car looks mean!!!!

17. hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper Member

I envy your welding skills Scott! Awesome progress so far,glad that thermostat was right ;)

18. jap.drifter

jap.drifter Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[/QUOTE]

bit worried about ur mate playing with his balls lol
    awesome looking car tho

19. ChrisL200SX

ChrisL200SX Member

Looks mad, awesome car.

20. ianlea73

ianlea73 Well-Known Member

bit worried about ur mate playing with his balls lol
    awesome looking car tho[/QUOTE]

I do that when I'm stood near cool cars,that's why I can't go to car shows without a jock strap on!!!