is drifting anti-social

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by MrNick, Jul 15, 2009.

1. MrNick

MrNick I love Ibiza!

please discuss,whilst in a meeting with a 'land owners agent' it was said that drifting is anti-social..?

i believe that it is the exact opposite in the right area??

2. scottyj12

scottyj12 New Member

On the street, yes tbh lol.... but if your talking to land owners im guessing its about doing it on private closed land.. So i would say no? because its a bunch of people meeting up to have a laugh.

Its drifting on private land or a track is anti social then surely so is every other track day, autocross event etc.

Edit, signed into an account i forgot i opened :/

3. scottyj

scottyj Active Member

after all this time my computer signed me into that account :/

4. Rads_s13

Rads_s13 DWYB & DRIFT TAXI

anit-social on a busy rush hour roundabout yes :nod: :wack:

on a nice bit of land that's out the way with no real neighbours then not anti-social at all.

5. YorkshireRam

YorkshireRam Harry Loves Ewe

If you didn't know anything meaningful about drifting, which is 99% of the population, and you saw a few beaten up old jap cars sliding about being noisy and looking 'dangerous' - then yes, you wouldn't be blamed for thinking it was a bit asbo. Although this mostly depends on age group of course..

This attitude is unique to the UK as a lot of motorsport fraternitys/old skoolers still look down in disdain at drifting, more through lack of understanding and experience but it doesn't help the cause, especially with acquiring new tracks.

6. RyanH

RyanH Lacks skills

With more professional race tracks holding drifting events, hopefully the general attitude towards drifting will change.

I guess most people just associate it with doing donuts and burnouts in the local mcdonalds carpark though.

7. Captain Muppet

Captain Muppet Pro-tard

It's kind of hard to justify to the general population, even if it's on a track.

Makes noise, smoke, polution, burns fossil fuels and all for the pleasure of the few people involved. Slightly more antisocial than other forms of car abuse.

It's the best fun I've ever had, but again, that means nothing to those who aren't in to it. Lets enjoy it while it's still allowed.

8. Skiddly Diddly

Skiddly Diddly Rehabilitated

Just throw in words and phrases like "precision driving", "display teams", "club level competitions", and of course "drifters are so desperate for good practice grounds they'll run silencers to the venue, mow the lawn and make tea for the local parishioners".

9. big fat nick

big fat nick smells

noise, smoke, cars that backfire a lot, less than respectable looking types showing up. I dare say it is, as much as i dont want to...

On the continent they still seem to do the watering down kart tracks thing, which must be great for killing noise (providing people dont have mega loud exhausts), and is still plenty of fun for practice days.

10. royal

royal S1- F.T break!

I think this is one of the biggest reasons that drifting needs to carry on developing and push for big money sponsors, tracks and cars be involved. As long as its associated with shitters it will be marred with the 'antisocial' tag.

There's nothing wrong with shitters, its just the visible face of the sport will be much better recieved if that side of it is kept for practicing and people in influential positions see a sport thats more professional and worth supporting and investing in.

11. MrNick

MrNick I love Ibiza!

:worthy::worthy:

and respect to Belinda for keeping it real at Arena as she puts the castrol car round there without a care

12. big fat nick

big fat nick smells

i wouldn't say big money sponsors are the be all and end all, but the right sponsors would do the trick, big publicity sponsors, like energy drinks companys, or companys that have a lot of sway (like autocar/evo magazine/ get it on dave - no-one watches motors tv and its not the most professionally edited channel, plus you have to pay for it) or even random companies, like how persil sponsored bmx racing which helped raise the profile again before it was even announced to be in the olympics.

13. Flipfoot

Flipfoot 三日坊主

Anti-social behaviour is virtually any intimidating or threatening activity that scares you or damages your quality of life.

Examples include:

rowdy, noisy behaviour
    'yobbish' behaviour
    vandalism, graffiti and fly-posting
    dealing or buying drugs on the street
    fly-tipping rubbish
    aggressive begging
    street drinking
    setting off fireworks late at night
    Abusive, verbal behaviour
    Arson
    Assault
    Begging
    Behaviour which is abusive to other individuals
    Boom-box cars/vehicles (noisy car stereos)
    Bullies and Bullying
    Children and Young People who are bullied in public places
    Criminal Behaviour
    Criminal Damage
    Damage to property
    Distressing behaviour
    Domestic violence
    Drug and alcohol misuse/abuse
    Handling stolen property
    Harassment / Harassing passers-by or local residents
    Homophobic Behaviour
    Illegal use of fireworks
    Intimidating gangs of people (including young people)
    Joy riders
    Kerb crawling and prostitution
    Neighbour Intimidation
    Noise Pollution
    Nuisance Animals
    Other Damage
    Overgrown, unkempt gardens
    Parking Illegally & abandoned vehicles
    Racist Behaviour / Racial Harassment
    Rubbish and dumping of litter
    Running a business from home
    Stalking
    Threatening Behaviour
    Threats made in person or via the telephone
    Throwing any kind of 'missile'
    Underage or illegal sales
    Use of inappropriate places for sport/activities
    Vandalism, Graffiti
    Youths and young people who cause problems

Source 1: What is ASB? | Home Office
    Source 2:Anti Social Behaviour - Types of Anti-Social Behaviour

Cant see "hooning around in cars on a private estate" anywhere on their lists and their the buggers enforcing the laws so id have to say, no, its is not anti social, if anything its the complete opposite as it is an event that activly encourages people to gather together socially.

Noun 1. social gathering - a gathering for the purpose of promoting fellowship
    social affair
    assemblage, gathering - a group of persons together in one place
    bee - a social gathering to carry out some communal task or to hold competitions
    love feast - a social gathering intended to create goodwill among the participants
    company - a social gathering of guests or companions; "the house was filled with company when I arrived"
    function - a formal or official social gathering or ceremony; "it was a black-tie function"
    party - a group of people gathered together for pleasure; "she joined the party after dinner"
    supper - a social gathering where a light evening meal is served; "her suppers often included celebrities"
    get together, meeting - a small informal social gathering; "there was an informal meeting in my living room"

Source :social gathering - definition of social gathering by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

14. Lead_foot

Lead_foot DWYB ConekillR

So really the whole UK is one big anti-social area, a bit of drifting won't hurt.

15. fesoj

fesoj Active Member

well obviosley it is anti social, cant do it at night as people complain, cant do it in the day as people complain, cant think about doing it as people complain..
    god people piss me off...they will move in under the flight path of Heathrow then try to get the runway closed, as its too loud...
    does that make flying anti-social...no..but you make a bit of noise in a car, on a track or airfield, and all hell breaks loose!:mad:

16. swiftmini

swiftmini Active Member

I doesn't matter how many positives there are, the fact that people see it as not being a real sport completely out weighs them. Me and my mates got treated the same when we were just kids on bmx's. Every night get told to move on by security and then get chased by the po po because the security couldn't get rid of us. If you cycle through exeter city now you get a ticket, at the same time they try to get people out of cars and onto bikes, buses or foot.

We just gotta let stuff go and try our best to raise the profile of drifting without it losing its fun factor appeal.

I don't expect to ever be good enough to drive in competition but I want to attend as many drift days as I can to learn car control and learn how to improve my car to make the learning curve easier. If I meet people, have fun, and learn how to rape my car safely in a safe enviroment then its more than worth the effort and I will be happy.

Kev

17. swiftmini

swiftmini Active Member

Oh and my boss at work rallies a stratos and a delta at club level and says that drifting is one above cowboys.

18. docwra

docwra Active Member

But he is uber rich. I think people who wear Kappa tracksuits are wankers ;)

To decide if its anti-social then you have to have a definition of anti-social. Its defnitely not social in the same way amateur dramatics is, but you do get to meet people and Ive made some proper good mates from this skidding thing.

If you are talking anti-social as in "ASBO" then of course it is when its not on the track, but then any form of motorsport is. :nod:

19. fluffposinski

fluffposinski Member

Are we talking drifting or Streeto

Most people think (not drifters) that its all boy racerism people with big bodykits noisy tsssssssssh 4K tops pieces of rubbish pulling a few handbrake turns in asda and making it look untidy. But we all know thats not drifting,
    everyone says streeto is mega bad antisocial but 95% of drifters do it most who say they dont are liars.

But having a laugh on an old airfield where there is nothing to hit and only yourself to hurt i cant see the harm, then again there is
    always on old farmhouse 2 miles away with some git living there who knew about it when they moved who is going to complain

How can drifting on a proper track at somewhere like brands be antisocial it cant or fuzz would give you all section 59s

20. Skiddly Diddly

Skiddly Diddly Rehabilitated

Rally driving, drag racing, motorcycle racing, even Formula 1 would be anti-social on the road. But it isn't considered that because they get tracks to do it on.

If we had more practice areas, tracks and such, people wouldn't think us anti-social.