is drifting anti-social

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by MrNick, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Captain Muppet

Captain Muppet Pro-tard

That's half the BDC grid right there :D

me included

2. fluffposinski

fluffposinski Member

ah but the drifters have it for a reason not rubbish thats has been bought by doing a ram raid on halfords!!!!

3. Ballbag

Ballbag Member

All motorsport is anti-social! If you arnt a petrol head and live within ear shot of any race track, drag strip or old airfield.

4. hashiriya

hashiriya EDC審査員

drifting is a anti-social, but isn't that the reason why we all love it?

5. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

what makes me laugh is that drifting is looked down on and considered a chav sport etc but on every car show and i mean EVERY car show when they want to show you how awesome and exciting a car is they start driving it sideways, i mean even some of the manufacture's are getting in on it in their adverts ie the bmw z4 slidding/spinning on ice.

6. Captain Muppet

Captain Muppet Pro-tard

Jealous, that's what they are. Establishment bastards.

7. MrNick

MrNick I love Ibiza!

some good stuff posted !! very interesting

8. Ghostie

Ghostie DEVILS CREED

we have often had the same problem with stunt riding, any motorsport younger than 20 or so years will be seen as anti socal it seems...
    take FMX as an example, it was hooked at as a bunch of pratts trying to kill them selfs at first but look at how big its got now?!

antisocial.... yes but only in the wrong hands and only till people recognise the skill involved insted of seeing it as making smoke and noise...

9. Dan Goodyer

Dan Goodyer JasonRobertson

Just tell them "anti-social behaviour" is a legacy of the Blair era which is slowly unpicking the carefully woven fabric of British society. It's a dangerous concept, misunderstood by the majority of people who support it. So far it's led to nothing but finger-pointing and segregation.

10. Dogy_Kane

Dogy_Kane New Member

depends on where n when,

drift on track - 0% anti-social
    drift in Sainsbury Car Park - 50% anti-social
    drift on public rd 8pm - 80% anti-social
    drift in front of school and hav a bus of kiddies killed - 100% anti-social

XD

11. SteveC200

SteveC200 Used to drift, now I don't.

I think thats a bit wrong.

drift on track - 0% anti-social
    drift in Sainsbury Car Park - 100% anti-social
    drift on public rd 8pm - 100% anti-social
    drift in front of school and hav a bus of kiddies killed - 100% anti-social

12. Skiddly Diddly

Skiddly Diddly Rehabilitated

13. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle In Safe Hands

Drifting it's self isn't anti social. It's the people that drive the cars, plus the attitude and trends that are either popular or cool within the scene.

A classic example is loud exhaust systems and running without a silencer. On your average road car, i would challange any of you to drive your car with silencers and a cat, then without and notice a substiancial difference. There isn't. But loud exhausts, screamer pipes, dump valves etc are "COOL" so people use them. Loud exhausts are anti social.

Something can only be viewed as "anti social" if it's marketed that way by the people within it's community. Drifting is unfortunatly full of many people who feel that there skills as a driver or there ability to talk to sponsors, tracks or orgonisations is adiquate. 99 times of 100 it's not. I have seen some of the emails and letters that get send out (from people on here) to sponsors, tracks etc. They are nothing sort of appauling. Frankly it's this, along with the "fast and furious" association that drifting carries with it that causes it's Anti Social image. (not even mentioning the fucking retard on here who phoned up a major tyre company claiming to be the "British Drift Champion" to blag free tyres)

The problem with "most" people who approach tracks (nick, this isn't aimed at you old chap) is that they don't have a commercial brain cell in there body. They don't seem to grasp the very simple basic fact that tracks/venues/sponsors are here to make money. Full stop. There is nothing more complicated than that. If you can demonstrate a good level of return (read ££) then they will usually bend over backwards to support you because your making them money.

Truth is that most tracks that have a good relationship with the drift scene (Pod, Lydden Hill, Llandow etc) can't speak more highly of the drift community and there conduct.

So if you want to approach a track you need the very basics of what your going to offer them in return for supporting your sport. Whether that be bums on seats, food sales, wider coverage etc. And for Christ sakes, somebody show them Formula D in the United States. Because getting that sort of thing going in the UK isn't bloody rocket science.

#33 Mr Bizzle, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  14. alanfordtw-15

alanfordtw-15 Member

i see your point about loud exhausts, but i would argue it:
    the loudest vehicles on the road by a mile are harley davidsons and chopper motor bikes, they literally shake windows in towns, but they are seen by the general public as iconic vehicles that are part of social history, maybe because they give people a reminder of past freedom that they are associated with or whatever. they mean a lot to people.

rwd cars and drifting means a lot to a very small amount of people who enjoy it but it is slowly gaining popularity. maybe it will too be seen in the future more for the fun it entails and the 'on the edge' feeling, rather than a 'loud annoying noise'

15. Username

Username Active Member

I'd say that Ducati superbikes, RX7s with straight pipes and unsilenced mopeds are louder but I see a lot of hypocrisy for example:
    "That Aston DBR9 looks really nice, I love its aggressive splitter and spoiler"
    "That 200sx with a front splitter and GT Wing is so chav"
    I think there is a lot of snobbery and generalisation from people who know nothing about drifting yet have an opinion

16. rx7phil

rx7phil Member

lol yeah would say that rx7's are probably the loudest of alot of cars, cept the beemers with no pipes lol

but as it is people who dont understand the sport or even know what it is will always act upon the idea of its anti social.

the amount of people i speak to who say, why have you done that to your car etc etc, you one of those "boy racers". and when i say no i drift they look like ive said something about space or something, just the fact that drifting isnt known around the uk enough for people to understand.

if for example they managed to get edc linked in with say touring cars, and used the track like formula fords etc inbetween big races, im sure the scene would grow much faster, but its having th cash too get in on these events, as imsure that would be alot of swanga

17. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

BIG difference between top line drift cars and most "drift cars".

Dont think its loudness either, well, not as a main thing.

Most drift cars look like shitboxes barely any different from the cars they have been used to seeing for years as boyracers and cruisers.
    People who arent in to cars usually have a very very dim opinion of them when they see em on the road.

MENTAL drift cars, ie cars that look in peoples minds like proper racing cars, or just REALLY nice looking drift road cars, usually have a good reaction from the general public.

My Chaser used to get constant good reaction, and almost always from non-car type people, just random grown up people, and the RX, despite me thinking it would be worse for that, has been even better. Done a good 1000 road miles in it, and loads of reaction from all ages, and all good, purely as its seen as a "racing car" rather than a "cruiser" or "boy racer".

But on the other hand, PLENTY of other cars I had, including my old S13 and S12 drift cars with standard bodykits, standard paint, and 15in wheels, etc etc, had FAR worse reactions, just as to most they look like most "boyracer" cars, ie old tatty lightly modified Jap/Euro shitboxes.

Basically, tough shit, your average drift car, or even your average modified car, looks totally gay, shit, and unimpressive, to people who arent in to modified road cars, ie 98% of the population.
    Always was like that, always will be like that, especially if you do what most people do, and modify it to how they think others in the modified car scene will think is cool.

18. Dan Goodyer

Dan Goodyer JasonRobertson

Drifting isn't labelled anti-social because of the drivers or cars.

The noise of the screeching tyres and engines/exhaust is what residents close to drift circuits and venues complain about. Most of the time they are people who have moved to the area fully aware that the circuit exists.

The noise issue is ruining Motorsport.

The problem is, the law is currently weighted in the favour of these campaigners. Blair left a legacy where people expect to have a life that is unaffected by other people. The days of 'give and take' are over.

Therefore any 'noise pollution' is unacceptable. It's not a million miles away from the situation with London's need for a new airport. Local residents close to me have campaigned against a site (successfully), largely on the grounds the new flight paths will create noise pollution. However, I bet the majority of the campaigners fly abroad for their summer holiday. :rolleyes:

19. cookwibble

cookwibble Active Member

the current use of the term anti social is retarded. the whole idea behind our society (western democratic spec) is freedom of expression and choice. With the right to freedom of expression and choice comes the responsibility to not be selfish. government labeling of things as antisocial takes away that choice and is against the ethos of our society. therefore labeling things as anti social is in itself anti social.

so.............fuck em.

20. rx7phil

rx7phil Member

lmao to right :)