RAF Career?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by chopaholic, Aug 17, 2010.

1. AlexFR

AlexFR Member

^^^^...feeling the pain lol

I've been in the Army 10 years now and havent really got much to complain about. The lifestyle is pretty varied, you meet brilliant people from all walks of life and you get paid pretty well in comparison to a lot of civvy jobs. If you wanbt to do it go for it and dont look back, RAF will be an easier way of life with less BS, if you want more of a challenge join the Army. Good luck to you mate.

2. Tony_R32

Tony_R32 Member

ive been thinking about this , going down to the career office thing tommorow to have a look :) so thanks for all the advice :)

3. aundre-3000

aundre-3000 Member

yea the website has quite a lot of info of all kinds of stuff but the best thing to to is go down to your local afco

i was due to go in for my basic training on the 29th of september then hopefully qualify as a aircraft technician (mechanic) but i failed my last fitness test in my pre recruit training im gutted tbh but ive now got to wait 6 mothns before i can re apply

so dont be a lazy fucker like i was after i passed my first fitness test so you wont have to wait 6 more months like me lol

4. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

There's loads of difficult stuff to catch you out without missing out due to lack of fitness. :eek:

Ian. :D

5. Dunkz

Dunkz Garage LSD

I spent 5 years in the raf as a weapons technician. Was definately a great laugh and I wouldn't change it for anything but the wages just weren't up to the sort of money I wanted to be making so I left to go offshore. Bearing in mind that at the time and still is afaik I was on the highest paid ground trade before going to officer.

It's definately a career worth considering but you need to look to the future as well and see where you see yourself in 5-10 years time.

As said though, go down to the AFCO and see what they have to say, however those guys are doing a job as well and if they need 10 new recruits as shit shovellers then they will do their best to persuade you. Make sure you hold out for the job you want and don't let them push you into a trade you wont be happy with.

Also as Doc says, pick a trade that has skills transferable into civvy street or you'll struggle to find work when you do leave. :thumbs:

6. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

loadsa good answers up there. im in army and in afghanistan at the mo, my advice is deffo join the RAF 'cos we see how much better they get treated/more they get paid and look on in envy. Half the raf (from what i've seen out here) only do 3 months in afghan instead of our 6 months, which is a lot better 'cos half the lads are breaking out here lmao. If i'd have known a long time ago, the difference, i'd have gone raf and not army. we'll always slate them though 'cos when you do driver training you see all the raf in (what looks like) their school uniform, but a lot of it's jealousy because they get it easy most of the time and their trades get paid more than ours. As for leaving family and stuff, right now i'm missing it more than ever because i'm out here and im posted to germany so i don't get to go home as often as i like. But its true what they say about making mates for life, after a week of basic training i already had army mates closer to me than any of my best friends were! Deffo something to do once in your lifetime. I cant see myself making a career out of the forces but it deffo sorted my life out for me. And our lot are all giving rumours that soon(ish) the raf is going to be disbanded and attach onto the army and navy like the yanks do.

7. finchy

finchy snapped hard!

dont know about the raf or navy but when you leave the army after a certain number of years they pay for you to train for a job as a civvy also you get learning credits to do civvy courses ect so its doesnt have to be transferable its just easyer pick the job you like best and will enjoy dont worry if its transferable or not unless you only plan to do your 4 years n sak it

8. RacerBoy93

RacerBoy93 **Warning: Noob**

raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/gentechmechanical.cfm

This is the job i would take if i were to join the the RAF, if anyone has any past/present experience in this role info would be cool :)

9. Dunkz

Dunkz Garage LSD

Didn't really know any gen tech's when i was in, there were only a few on our base and they didn't do a huge amount iirc. I like the way they make that site look like everyone is on the same wage. granted after a year they will be but any of the aircraft specific trades will be on a higher pay band unless they've levelled it since I left. So after a couple of years they'll start being a difference in wages. If you want to be on the top of a low wage then I'd suggest any of the aircraft trades. :nod:

It's all good and well saying that and the forces will give you a small amount of money to find another job but then your starting from the bottom rung of the ladder. If you chose something that is reasonably transferrable into civvy street then your starting a new job with maybe 5 years more experience than you would starting a fresh and being as its so hard to find jobs these days you'd be daft not to tee yourself up for the future.

10. finchy

finchy snapped hard!

meh id rather do a job i love for 22 years then think about that later than do a job just to sort me for later life an probably not like it as much

11. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

Currently in the RAF as an aircraft tech, 18 years service, but engines/airframes. Have been about on several types including spell on the Red Arrows, currently work on Merlin helicopters so if theres anything specific you want to know just give me a shout. But as has been said before youre best to get a trade you can transfer out of the forces so go avionics. Perosnally Id go heavy or airframes ;)
    Docwra, we're having a chat when we do the wheel thing :D

#31 Swampy442, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  12. docwra

docwra Active Member

Bear in mind employers will always take someone who has been on civvy street for a while over a fresh leaver if they are equally matched. Life in the forces is different and not everyone adjusts easily to civilian workplaces ........ combine that with all the knowledge in the world about missiles but not knowing how to make a stationery order and it might be more difficult than you think :nod:

Swampy - for sure. :D

13. bigbellytom

bigbellytom Member

my uncle was an aircraft tech for 25 years, best job ive heard of, loads of travel involved (obviously) but a good wage, decent pension and wel looked after... never heard him complain...

14. akinadan79

akinadan79 Active Member

To be honest mate, if I was you I'd just go to the Army careers office and join up as a Scaley like 'Ted' did.
    Though be warned.......8 years of eating cakes and drinking brews does take it's toll in the end.

FAO 'TED': I've found a set of those BRIDES for your PS13 bud, just take a look on their website

www.mahoosive-cake-eating-arse-seats.com

fancy another 9 hour brew session tomorrow bud? :D

15. Ted

Ted DRIFT*DIVISION

:cry:Such a dick!

We both know i nearly OD'd on tea and coffee yesterday! I even broke your toilet in the process!

:)

#35 Ted, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  16. akinadan79

akinadan79 Active Member

^^^^^^ I rest my case!

17. Ted

Ted DRIFT*DIVISION

Fair one!