Testimonials

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by steve_fctuning, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Turbobrick

Turbobrick Member

Well i would just like to thank Steve for a Great job mapping my car runs so much better off boost and around town and MPG is up :D

Car produced 429bhp from a ebay special tubby, with a std head "just bought to get me running again" until i could afford a proper Tubby but was backed off a little to 390bhp and im happy with that

Will hopefully see you soon Steve and with some headwork Cams and a proper tubby, by then i also might have the z32 box in :D

Cheers

Campbell

2. S15AK

S15AK Member

Had my car remapped by Steve, so just want to say a massive thanks to him, and Bob/Ray at Hayes Engineering.

I had to travel over 500 miles in one day but was well worth it :thumbs:

I have a S15 with a topmount setup as below. We made just over 360bhp on the day, but Steve lowered it a little for a safer map. The turbo was good for more but Steve told me that the back housing is too small to shift the excess gases, but I'm more than happy with what I have now.

Engine

Top mount/T3 Turbo with T70 compressor
    Top mount Japspeed Mainfold
    SS custom exhaust
    Splitfire coilpacks
    Nismo 555 injectors
    Greddy Profec B Spec II
    Apexi ECU
    Apexi Power FC
    Apexi Induction kit
    Z32 AFM
    FMIC
    HKS BOV
    DB-Power Radiator
    255 Walbro Fuel pump

With Standard internals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks Steve, your a top bloke :thumbs:

3. Racoon

Racoon Member

Steve installed nistune into my car and set it up yesterday and once again I'm very pleased with the service.

The car drives much much better now and despite the tired/smoky turbo my 180sx made a good amount of power and torque at a relatively low boost 0.95bar.

The spec is,

180sx Sr20det non vvt
    Fmic
    air filter
    Decat pipe and exhaust
    Ik24's
    Blitz boost controller
    Walbro fuel
    t28 s14 turbo
    Stainless manifold

It made 288hp @ flywheel, 243whp and 292lbft @ 0.95bar.

Steve is a top bloke, tells you everything about the tuning process and makes you feel that your car is in safe hands!

Very happy with the service and will certainly take my car back in the future after some more mods :D

#63 Racoon, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  4. S14Stealth

S14Stealth New Member

S14 Tune by Steve

Hi there guys, recently had my car tuned by steve. Had the nistune board installed. I needed two sessiond due to the first session uncovering the fact that my boost controller's solenoid was not working so would have to return once that was changed to get a safe amount of power. Installed a bleed valve mod only temporary. This reached 370bhp at the flywheel

Changed boost controller and ecu due to failure then back with steve on the dyno. We reached 403bhp at the flywheel but cluth was slipping so steve said it would have got more. And with a different turbo elbow would have improved even more.

Mods-Apex intercooler
    Nismo 555cc injectors
    Z32 afm
    H-dev Tubular manifold
    Gt2817r 0.64
    Apex Cat-Back Exhaust
    Walbro Fuel pump
    NGK spark plugs
    Exedy racing clutch (pants)
    Hks SSQV BOV Recirc

Steve seemed very impressed with this engine's output for its mileage 90000. Kept asking if there were more mods. Steve was an awesome help and tuned this car at some extremely unsociable hours. Thanks very much steve :thumbs:

5. yassa

yassa Member

steve did a top job on my 300zx tt.all standard engine and turbos yet still got 437bhp,,, diamond geezer,

6. stuartdls

stuartdls New Member

Couldnt thank steve enough for sorting out the astra.
    After loads of messing about with other companies I ended up spending night after night down at hayes engineering trying to wire up a haltech piggyback ECU.

I got it running on that but the factory ECU had been set back to standard so was crapping itself everytime the boost went over standard...

I then got a taste for it and ended up wiring in an OMEX 600 unit which was set up so well it felt stronger than it had ever felt before!!!

Ended up running just over 300bhp at 0.6bar!! (dodgy actuator)

Just bought a bigger turbo, new bits and as soon as its all back together will be going back for another map!!

Could not rate this guy enough on his knowledge and help when it was needed!!

Thanks Steve, and a big shout to BOB for all the late nights!!

7. stuartdls

stuartdls New Member

(i will stick some graphs up a bit later)

8. primera freak

primera freak New Member

Thanks Steve for mapping my Nissan Primera.
    You did a great job yesterday!:thumbs:
    My car runs much better and is very fast now.:worthy:
    369,9PK and 461,7NM has my Primera with a T28RS:thumbs:

9. Anu

Anu New Member

Many thanks from me as well, after being mapped my s13 runs like a dream :D
    The experience of having Steve work with my car was a joy from start to finish, wich I would recommend to anyone :D, even apart from the results, the effort he put in to each of us is just awesome and very rare these days sadly enough.
    As a bonus, the results are awesome as well :D even on low boost it performs way better then it ever did before, as I'm sure he could tell from my face when he told me he was fucking with me :p I really couldnt believe that there was even more, and then he set it to High boost :D.

My CA18det with GT2554r turbo and other mods made 277.8 bhp / 363.5nm torque, wich exceeded my expectations and hopes by far.

Again, thanks alot Steve!

#69 Anu, Oct 3, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  10. janjansen73

janjansen73 Member

Yeah, was good fun. Was happily surprised with the results, she drives like a dream and nailing a ferrarie was good fun :)

11. B.L

B.L Member

Thanks Steve car is much quiker and smoother now.:thumbs:

348.8 hp at the hubs is alot more then i expected.:worthy:

[​IMG]

All internals are stock and best of all this was with the standard cat in place.:D

#71 B.L, Oct 3, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  12. janjansen73

janjansen73 Member

Car specs:

Nissan Silvia PS13
    SR20DET blacktop from a 180sx
    HKS GT-RS
    Tomei non equal length manifold.
    Denso 550 injectors
    Walbro pump with Z32 fuel filter.
    Power FC with controller.
    Z32 AFM with Apexi filter.
    Greddy FMIC
    3" free flow with butterfly valve.
    HKS evc 4 boost controller.

Saturday 2nd of October i got to DP engineering with plenty time left, had talked to the guy's on the phone and agreed to be there between 8.30 and 9.00 so they had time to set her into the dyno and Steve could get to work as soon as he came in.

It started with the Red Bull coffee round and then of to strap her in, well strapping, DP got hub-dyno's so taking the wheels of and hooking her up. That dyno is very nice, no wheel-spin, nothing.

Meeting Steve was a blast, he is a nice and understanding person who actually takes time to hear you out on what you expect from your car. He also explained the fun in tractive effort compared to dyno-queen numbers.

Me going in with a 297 bhp (fly) and 420nM car. All i wanted was for her to run properly and be safe while doing it. I had heard the previous mapper could have had some issues so after changing my turbo (from S15bb to GT-RS) i figured: Lets see what Steve can do with it.

When he got into the car it took him a good while to even get the basic map right, he adjusted the map that was in with numbers up to 42%!!!! The car was over-fuelling like mad. He showed me the comparison from before and after he started fiddling. I have to admit i broke a record :S he adjusted ~90% of the map. Then they started fiddling with the numbers and tried to get her up a bit.

The number i saw was 335HP. I thought: Nice, i like that. 40HP win. Then Steve turned to me and said: So, got the basics in, now to relearn the boost-controller and try to get her up a bit :D

After 3 hours she put out 355HP and 475nM of torque. Very happy! Injectors are running at 88%, not to bad but with bigger ones (had ordered 850 sards from a member of s15oc but they never got here) we could get it up some more while getting some more margin on them to (Steve told about getting them to 70%)

We got some figures and also did a run with the butterfly closed :wack: 160HP and 230nM and no boost to speak of

Then the guy's from DP unhooked her and Steve and me went for a spin :D DAMN!!! :smokin: that car has completely changed, she runs like a beauty and is fast as hell, power to the wheels is mental. After my run i let Steve drive a short bit, him being a more experienced driver in high power cars and me just being scared shitless to break anything :euge:. Steve got one important demand from me: Don't hold back mate.

Well, he did :D Him and her tried to scare me to death :D It did not work but it did raze my hart-rate a bit :o At least now i know that she can take a hell of a lot more abuse then i ever dared of putting her out for.

In the end, one happy camper in NL and a big :worthy: to Steve.

Is that the whole story? Nope, unfortunately not.

After my mapping session i had to drive to Gent, a small 2 hour drive with my new found powers :smokin:
    On the way i obliterated some corporate jackass in a Jag (hate it when people push you while you can't change lanes even if you want to) then some Ferrari tried the same, shift down, floor it and :wave::wave: with me :cool: behind the wheel. :nod:

Had a blast on a company party and the next morning i went into the parking garage to get home. NOTHING :cry: She refused to do anything. So off to call the Road assist people.... Some older guy came over and fiddled around a lot. He finally pointed out the CAS as the trouble maker.
    So my mate JJ (nutter at hart) jumped in his car, got a CAS from SP customs (Deventer shop that works wonders on my car from time to time, nice peeps who can even stand me at horrid hours while panicking cause my baby died on me) and drove a 4 hour drive to me :worthy::worthy:

We changed the CAS (well i held the flash-light while he worked) but nothing. So back to the drawing board, check the remote from the PFC. Didn't understand fuck so i send Steve a txt. 2sec and i got one back, 10 sec and i had him on the phone (did i tell you it was 2200 by then?) gave some pointers and explained that the smell of fuel did not mean the pump needed to be working, feel the fuel line from the filter to the rail, hard or soft? It was soft. Took the pump out, a faulty wire. Fixed the wire. Steve had called a few times to check how everything was going. Pump back in. Some bangs, a 1meter flame bit no crank. CAS in on a 180 degree angle does that he said. After trying some stuff the owner of the towing company (they towed my out of the parking basement) came out. His neighbours didn't like the bangs and all. It was already Monday, 0.15 and Steve couldn't let go, kept informing and giving hints on what to try.
    Got home at 3.00 and JJ somewhere around 4 or 5 :S

Going back next weekend to fix her up and then hopefully drive home.

In the end: Steve is a really nice and knowledgeable guy, if i need any tuning of my car he'll be the man. If i need to give advise to anyone: Go FCtuning! That man has an interest in his customers that goes way beyond any standard.

13. tim-s14

tim-s14 New Member

Remap

Steve remapped my new s14.

on the old sil it made 290hp @ 0.8 bar

now with the new car, new engine(218000km) it made

314.1 hp
    447.1 nm

@1.2 bar

its been almost 2 weeks now, and i already drove 1200km.
    the cars responses are very good and it didn't let me down once:)

when you want a good and save setup Steve's your Man:thumbs:

#73 tim-s14, Oct 15, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  14. Heido

Heido Member

Hi,
    Just thought I'd post up my experience of FC Tuning. We started with a pretty standard low mileage S14, and with some superb work from Car Media in Sudbury Suffolk, we made a few sensible upgrades with the power upgrade in mind (the power part was mostly in Skiddly's mind:))

They installed some Nismo 740cc injectors, uprated Walbro fuel pump, Fuel Regulator and Gauge, Z32 AFM, a very tidy installation of an FMIC and hard pipes, Gizzmo Boost Controller, and an ECU with Nistune chip fitted by Steve at FC Tuning.

So, all set we made an appointment to visit Steve. Paul from Car Media arrived with the car, got stuck in and changed the plugs. Then we got the car on the rollers, and Steve plugged in his gubbins.

The aim was more power, but nothing too lairy. Reliability was essential, and to get the power more evenly distributed. It helped to start with an engine that had never really been abused.

After a few niggles getting the ECU to connect properly, Steve did a couple of runs on the dyno. Unfortunately we weren't able to test the pre-upgrade power, but in theory it should be around 230ish BHP, which means in practice it was certainly less (after 15 years).

After 90 minutes of what Steve described as a textbook tune, the final figure was 316.9BHP at the flywheel. To wrap up, I took poor Steve out for a bit of a road tune, late and dark, on a motorway with roadworks and lots of men in high vis vests for a final tweak. Did I mention I'm practically blind at night? It was thrilling but I was a bit nervy. Steve was unfaised. Cool.

It's testament to both Steve Sadlers experience (over 1,000 cars tuned), and the excellent work by Paul at Car Media, that the car is totally transformed now. Having tested it at Mallory and Pod in the last month, it is like a different car. I'm still getting used to it, but any drift errors I make are not for lack of power. The car runs like a dream.

Thanks again,
    Heido

15. shaneeng2003

shaneeng2003 Member

Had steve work his magic on my s14a the other day, and all i can say is wow!!!!!!!
    The man is a genius!!!!
    Trying to find a genuine and professional mapper these days is very hard to find! They are usually always trying to fob you off, by telling you that you need parts that you dont actually need.
    So this is where Steve comes in. The man knows exactly what he's doing and is one of the most genuine guys i've ever met
    We made 354bhp and 391lbft torque on 95ron fuel!!!!!! and have been told that this can increase with a better flowing exhaust manifold and 98ron fuel.

SPECIFICATION:

1998 Nissan 200sx S14a

Engine:

Stock SR20DET 2.0-litre
    Garrett GT2876R hybrid turbo with bronze racing bearings
    Nistune ECU by FC Tuning
    HKS intercooler kit
    HKS mushroom filter
    HKS hard air intake pipe
    Stock cast exhaust manifold
    Japspeed turbo elbow
    Full custom 3.5'' stainless exhaust system
    HKS hi power back box by Auto Sport Salon
    Bosch 044 fuel pump
    Walbro 255 lifter pump
    1.5-litre swirl pot
    Adjustable fuel regulator
    Nismo 740cc injectors
    300ZX Z32 mass airflow meter
    Greddy E-01 boost controller

Thanks again Steve

16. Nijssen

Nijssen New Member

I drive an '98 Primera P11 with the Japanese SR20VE NeoVVL engine.
    I went to the UK last weekend for a tuning session because of cams and exhaustwork. The Greddy Emanage was used.

We had big problems activating the VVL trough the Emanage and after nearly 2 hours we decided to go a different route and let the VE ECU give control back over the VVL.

Results were better than stock. The car feels smoother everywhere so thank god the trip over wasn’t all for nothing. Fuelling was improved aswell, together with the timing along the range. The emanage simply wasnt able to control both solenoids signals.

But considering the mods and the high lobes on the Franklin cams being 288 degrees with 11.5mm lift I expected more. Obviously this has NOTHING to do with Steve as he did a great job and took all the time to try things out and explaining everything. We have great email communication on how to improve my engine and we will hopefully meet up in the Netherlands again soon in 2011.

#76 Nijssen, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  17. J90-DUN

J90-DUN Member

Steve tuned my s14 this week and i am very happy with the result.

323.2HP and 319ftlbs with a weak fuel pump.

We did have a few issues with my ECU not reading the Nistune board and a sticky injector but we managed to overcome these ( Cheers Steve and Chris at Motorworx for sticking with it till 1am):smash:

I would recommed Steve to anyone, top bloke and more then happy to explain what hes doing and how things work :)

Cheers again Steve

18. Mattolodis

Mattolodis Active Member

Just wanna say quick thanks to Steve for getting my car mapped in time for the silverstone drift day, managed to squeeze me into his busy schedule one evening last week.

Car had a few problems but we got them sorted, Steve transformed the car and i will defo be going to him for future mapping sessions:thumbs:

19. primera freak

primera freak New Member

Thanks Steve my GTI-R is much quiker and smoother now.
    And thanx too the guys from DP.
    Steve had mapped my car on the road becourse DP hasnt got a 4x4 dynotrack.
    Next time at DP I'll hope I'll be there too.
    Grtz Ronald from Holland

20. Rock7

Rock7 New Member

My FC tuning experience 11-3-12 Holland session 11.

Regarding the car: It's a homebrew Rx7 FD3s, fully custombuild surrealperformance(me :)) 13b REW engine with about 6000miles on it. Custom porting, custom exhaust porting, custom turbosetup.
    1)T70 turbo
    2)2 Walbro 255LPH pumps
    3)4500cc total worth of injectors
    4)Greddy profec B boost control
    5)Apexi PFC
    6)APexi safc
    7)FMIC
    8)Custom 4 inch downpipee
    9)Custom midpipe
    10)HKS drager 2 exhaust
    11)HKS 50mm racewastegate (9psi spring)
    12)Upgraded ignition,
    13)Race plugs
    14)10mm magnecor plug wires
    15)Aeromotive FPR

After alot of discussion my friend Vishal (Nissan s14 300+bhp FC tuned) convinced me to do a dyno session in The Netherlands instead of going to England everytime. For me it was also good to have a new tuner have a look at my setup so i can move forward in total development of the car and where i want to be with it. After great correspondance with Steve via email the date was set. I had 2 weeks to get the car ready to role, after the hibernate period called winter. Prepped the car(new oil, race plugs, etc etc)

The day started out to be a beautiful one, 7:45am, clear sky, nice and sunny. When starting the car i noticed it was idling rough...Did a sensor check on the Apexi PFC and issue was with the Airintake temp sensor. Connector was bad. After arriving at DP engineering at 9:00am i figured to have that fixed quickly. 10am DP guys started coming in, and Dave helped out with providing new wiring for the connector, good service by DP.

Finally met Steve in person, great guy, takes time to listen to you and what you're expecting from him.He will also give great advice on your setup and what he requires so he can safely tune the fine tune the setup. Talking to Steve also gave me an even better feeling on how the day was going to turn out.

Reliability was the most important thing on this tune, not getting the most power out of the setup. Steve started with some base runs on pum gas to get a feel of the setup, he also tweaked the injector at crank time, for better starting engine. Straight away encountered some issues with the current map. Rich spots, lean spots, also an occasional knock spots somewhere in the map. After sorting this, the car made a healthy 480bhp on 15 to 16psi boost on pump gas. Steve was happy with how the map and car behaved, so it was time for race fuel. At this time the car sounded a bit different(exhaust leak), seems that more then 20 power runs and the heat it created blew the manifold turbo gasket.

After putting in the racegas, as safety(against detonation) for higher boost settings. The car started to get into the 500+bhp. On the graph it shows that due to the leakage of the gasket the boost dropped from 1.3bar(18.8psi) to 1.2bar(17.4psi). Also i think the wastegate spring was not really up to the highboost task, but hanging in there...

Conclusion was 506bhp and 520nm at only 1.3bar dropping to 1.2bar. Due to the leakage it probably lost 15 to 30hp, so it probably would have made a bit more. Steve was happy with the tune and so was i. It's kept conservative timing wise. I'm extremelly satisfied with the fact that this is the fastest dyno proven 13b Rx7 of the Netherlands. And am really happy with the way the car feels/reacts/drives. After a couple of runs down the street, Steve and i both smiled....If Steve was impressed with the car it must be good hahaha ;). Not bad for a 1300cc little rotary engine.

Future: Will get the gasket leak sorted. Upgrading the wastegate spring, bigger throttle body as well as bigger primairy injectors. Back to Steve for a retune and see what the car will do then.

Steve Thanks for your great work!! Hope you liked the car and setup. I'll see you next time for a remap when i'm done with some new mods.

When you want a good and save setup Steve's your Man:thumbs:

Kind regards,

Roquillo (surrealperformance)

#80 Rock7, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012