RB25DET 200sx

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by swiftmini, Jul 5, 2009.

1. swiftmini

swiftmini Active Member

Continuied from previous page

Odc final

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#541 swiftmini, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  2. ard

ard Member

looks so badass with zipties and without headlights

3. swiftmini

swiftmini Active Member

Cheers fella :D

Did you still need bushes? I should have a date today for when they will be ready :)

Sorry its taken so long, had a lot on the last 6 weeks.

Cheers

4. Hudson.

Hudson. JIBES

I read through this whole thread last night dude, such a cool car! Im a picky bastard and this has to be my favourite car on here!

Respect for all the fabbing and in-house stuff you've done, really cool. Its awesome you've had a go at doing your own knuckles and that you actually take the geometry into such consideration. Ive got so interested in setups and geometry recently, ive been reading shittonnes of stuff about modded knuckles, roll centre and ackerman etc.

Would love to get more clued up this side of things and actually adjust my car to how I want it through trial and error like you have, and knowing exaclty what to change to acheive how I want it, thats pretty cool.

Ive literally just decked my car and left it, im at the stage of skill now where I can feel that it does actually feel a bit shitty to drive and im wanting to make it better. 4.5 degrees of rear camber and the tracking is completely out, 16kg wheels on each corner, stock everything but HSD's lol. Ive got a set of PSM arms to go on soon, some lighter wheels, got 5 stud hubs with s14 LCA's to go on aswell as tein rods and ends so it should be cool once its set-up and ive played with the lock.

Definately want to get used to this setup before I start rollcentre correction and modded knuckles etc, so I can appreciate what the alterations are actually doing to the way the car works!

By the way are those the Ikeya formula balljoints, whats the benefit of them? Are you going to Modified Madness next month down your way, think its in Honiton? Should be pretty good, trying to get my car up to scratch so I can take it down there.

Sorry for the rant, in short I think your car is badass and you should keep doing what youre doing :nod:

#544 Hudson., Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  5. swiftmini

swiftmini Active Member

Omg dude that has got to be the best comment someones made about me or my car :D

Its proper awesome that you read through and get inspiration, I have a lot of time for suspension geometry etc I find it really interesting and stimulates my mind.

I would love it if you could post up a link or two too the thread or threads you have been reading :nod: I tend to read everything I can find and make my own mind or opinion up.

Tbh you have made my day because I assume most people don't like what I do or how I do things, there are so many people hating on these sort of mods constantly, it really gets me down and I can't understand why peeps can't just let it go. It makes me laugh when someone says stuff like 'you shouldn't spend money making free stuff, spend it on seat time instead' :wack: I have done 4 practicedays in the last 8 weeks and 1 of them was the ODC final pmsl

I will keep on doing this stuff because even though iam not an "awesome driver" I know for a fact that I have improved my cars handling. Peeps have even commented as passengers how stable and easy to control the car looks through bumpy sections of track. Its got 10/8 springs but really doesn't feel like it :D at the end of the day I have had many peeps have passenger rides or driven my car and rarely get any negative comments. Both paul and mark from jdm garage say its like a grip car with the amount of grip its got. Bizzle and lex both pissed themselves with laughter at how easy it is too drive at big angles on the stops. Monkeymagic came out in it with me at ODC finals and was sniggering as we went round.
    Its comments like that that make it all worth while because modding is my thing. Driving is a by-product.

I really hate blowing my own trumpet or willy waving but I also ahte people putting us guys down for having a play with this stuff!!

Sorry for my rant lol

Btw iam so obsessed with this stuff that I have modded knuckles on my daily driver as well, its a micra though pmsl :rolleyes: :wack:

#545 swiftmini, Oct 8, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  6. swiftmini

swiftmini Active Member

I only have ikeya tierods dude with s14 tie rod ends.

All the lower arms and tension rods have m18 rose joints allround.

If you ever need any help give us a shout and ill help if I can :thumbs:

7. James_H

James_H Member

Kev let me know if you want a hand at modified madness, i'll most likely be driving up in the van and spectating so i'll just chuck a wank load of tools in the back.

8. swiftmini

swiftmini Active Member

Sweet dude :thumbs: some help would be awesome. I think iam helping setup as well ;)

Bring some tyre levers just in case there is no van lol

9. James_H

James_H Member

I'll bring some levers, but your the one taking the tyre off! Pain in the ass to do with just levers! haha.

10. Hudson.

Hudson. JIBES

Yeah I saw some pics of your car on the ODC mallory thread and thought how sweet it looked so checked out your thread. Im going through a geometry setup stage with my car at the moment so I thought it was interesting and worth reading!

Ive got an engineering background and proffesion so can really appreciate the bits youre doing to your car. Id love to have some fabrication skills but just dont have to tools to get me started yet or id be doing all this. Yeah i have much more respect for someone who can engineer bits for their car to suit them and learning to drive it, rather than just buying the best bits and whacking them on. Unfortuantey as I dont have the skills to make my own shizzle im one of the guys who just buy's the best bits I can afford, although im pacing myself and forcing myself to only mod the bits needed when my driving skill starts to get capped by it. Although i might not ever be pro enough to need 50* lock or perfect roll centre etc, its cool that im learning about what everything does/changes that are worthwhile, so that when I reach the point of actually "needing" it, ill know exaclty how to progress my setup! Ive mainly been researching though as its really interesting, actually starting to understand it is a bonus lol. Its weird, im obsessed with this stuff now like you are and ive only got coilovers fitted to my car haha.

Judging by this thread, ODC was pretty awesome this year? I having random ideas of trying for a BDC liscence but really its not practical, as ive been drifting for under a year so my skills are no where near, and i work offshore 6 months of the year so will miss some events :( Definately thinking of ODC '11 though, seems perfect for me, skill wise and setup wise!

Doh! I meant tierods not balljoints lol. Ive read too much about this stuff recently that im confusing myself haha, keep calling "bumpsteer" bumpstops etc :smash:

How much bumpsteer correction in your knuckle+rod end setup then? Seen alot of peeps running lots of different rod ends for bumpsteer correction, need to do some more reading methinks!

I added you on bacefook dude (Rich Hudson), so I could pick your brain haha! Hope you dont mind.

These are the threads ive had my head in, currently half way through the "NS" knuckle thread (i thought id finished but didnt realise there was 58 pages!!). Basically, the thread starter, Nigel, is the Australian equivelent of you lol, fitter and turner who started making his own knuckles. Quite alot of info in this thread, starting from scratch with experimental mods so is quite usefull reading through the trial and errors!

The modified/ aftermarket knuckle thread - Hardtuned.net

Then theres the same sort of thing on Zilvia, not started reading this yet but the info on the first page is pretty good at least! :

This is the roll center, suspension pickup, and steering angle modification thread. - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

PS, seen youre into mini's aswell? And know James here? Coincidence as James has been my e-chum for quite a while now since we've both been building turbo'd mini's since fooking ages ago haha.

11. swiftmini

swiftmini Active Member

I have lowered the trackrod end by 40mm and i have also lowered the outer ball joint by 40-45mm, so essentially the roll centre and bumpsteer would be similar to geo knuckles. i want to make some new knuckles from scratch with a huge reduction in ackerman (i want to study the effects it will have on tyre wear) a reduction in kpi and i will probably leave the balljoints and trackrod ends at the same heights. From some quick cad drawings i did i found that the RC is well below ground level but would be almost exactly the same with geo knuckles. iam guessing that the dw s15 is about 2 inches higher than mine for theyre RC to be in a good position (not below ground level lol)

No worries dude, i will go and have a looksy, iam a bit of a faecebook tard lol

Thats an awesome thread, iam half way through now and alot of the info makes sense to me based on other stuff i have read. Its interesting to read Squiddys and Finks different opinions on this kind of stuff. I was discussing knuckles with Squiddy via pm and he mentioned he could get me Nigels NP knuckles lol In my head he is almost infamous lol

Yes this is also a badass thread with some really good info, you will see that i have tried to contribute to the discussion. Its funny how the Americans think Rollcentre is more important than anything and the Australians think ackerman angle and lock are more important. The Japs clearly do it all and over here no one gives a shit apart from driftworks them selves lol

Fun for me is about chucking it in on the lock stops with full throttle for as long as poss lol i dont caqre how slow iam cose i dont intend to win any comps, which is all peeps seem to care about in this country.

Haha yeah iam also a former mini fan, i have a mini with a swift gti engine sat in my garage and i just sold a metty turbo engine about 11 months ago lol.

You should take a ride in my car and see what you think on the 20th :thumbs:

12. swiftmini

swiftmini Active Member

No worries dude ill train you up, once you get the nack you can do it with your eyelids :smokin:

13. Hudson.

Hudson. JIBES

Cool thanks for the info!

I'll have a set of s13 knuckles spare soon when im converting to 5 stud, if you want me to send them down so you can experiment? Of course I wouldnt say no to fitting them back onto my car haha!!

Yeah dude a ride in your car will be good!! Youre more than welcome to have a go in my car if you want then tell me how shite the setup feels in comparison to yours lol.

If you do go to help set up on the 20th and need an extra set of hands im sure we can get a few of use to head down early and lend a hand.

14. Hudson.

Hudson. JIBES

Oh yeah, if you want to get some NP wonder knuckles, get squid to ask nigel to make a pair up and we can share shipping.

Sounds like 80% of s-bodys in austraila run his setup, I want to see what all the fuss is about! :nod:

15. swiftmini

swiftmini Active Member

I would highly consider Nigels knuckles but he doesnt appear to offer roll centre correction which is something iam very interested in. Ill just join up on NS and learn as much as i can from Nigel and that thread lol.

I dont mind doing more knuckles for peeps, i dont want to make any money from it but there are some unavoidable costs like rosejoints ect and materials

It would appear that getting rid of as much ackerman as is practical is the way to go from what Nigel writes and Squiddy defo rates them highly.

so when this year is done i will start some new knuckles which will have the exact same specs as mine now but with feck all ackerman.

and the other thing i wanted to do was get the roll centre alittle better which i will do with the front crossmember or the chassis where the crossmember bolts up.

are you sticking with the s13 4 stud hubs for now?

16. Hudson.

Hudson. JIBES

Sounds cool dude. Yeah when you go to make some knuckles give me a shout and ill send some down to you and drop you some cash aswell as you obviously know what youre doing!

Yeah from what ive read, Nigel mods his knuckles with:

-30mm shorter
    -20mm Ackerman (straighter)
    -25mm bump steer (lower)

And aligns it with

-3.5* camber
    -6* castor
    +4mm total toe out, 2mm each side.

From that thread, as long as its an aggressive knuckle you can run standard LCA's with the stops removed, standard rack position but with offset spacers, factory rods with rose jointed bump steer adjustable ends, thats what he runs anyway. Extended his LCA's 30mm between the caster rod mounting and the bottom carrier.

Ive just bought some 5 stud 17's dude so I can get rid of the steelies and run decent geometry asap. Are s14 knuckles modded in exactly the same way as s13 ones?

17. swiftmini

swiftmini Active Member

Sweet i will do some measurements on my hubs and see how they compare :D

as far as i know the s14 knuckles are almost identicle to the s13, the have lockstops and one or two other minor details :nod:

cheers
    kev

18. pieface

pieface Go!Go!Auto

Talk about inspiration. Just read this entire thread from page 1. Love the car. I've been thinking of doing a front end conversion on my 200 when its back on the road, and I have been looking more and more into the sil80 conversion. Think this topic have just made my mind up for me.

Keep up the good work dude

Also, that clubby looked pretty tidy in one of the pics.

19. spin-king

spin-king Active Member

Bloody hell thats alot of reading that bud

Kev you going to mallory on the 16th of dec bud??

20. pieface

pieface Go!Go!Auto

aii, kept me busy throughout the day :D