Nice Daily Drives

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Yeah_Mick, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Yeah_Mick

Yeah_Mick Beauty Purr!

Im going into sensible mode as im becoming a father next year. As i wont be able to afford to skid much at all im selling the old e30 and going to get myself some comfort in my life. im looking at diesel e39's or c class mercs. Ive got 5k to play with. Anybody got any experience with either of them cars? looking for realistic mpg figures and general problems or just to be told how amazing they are.

But im open other ideas aswell, will probabaly be an auto aswell, as i wont be skiding it so i may aswell be lazy and comfortable:smokin:

2. PHIL-BLR

PHIL-BLR Member

530d or 530i sport fantastic car very rare in manual most are autos im not a merc lover dont no much about them

3. tail_happy_200

tail_happy_200 james cant drift

i`d look at getting an audi a6. much better on fuel. you`d be looking at 35mpg with the 530d, not sure on merc. the audi 6 speed will give 50mpg.

4. crackers

crackers Member

first off congratulations mate, my dad had a 530d sport auto, fucking awsome car but once one thing went wrong it started a huge chain of issues, lucky it was under warranty for the first issue and they linked them all together, but something to bare in mind with expensive cars is the expensive parts and the general complexity of them.

5. Rads_s13

Rads_s13 DWYB & DRIFT TAXI

can easily get a E39 530d and get it chipped and a few other bits for 5k.

I love my E39 530d, quick in standard form. if you do get one and its got the swirlflaps rip them out ASAP, as failure can lunch the engine.

#5 Rads_s13, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  6. skipp123

skipp123 Member

mick, you should have brought my old merc c class on bags, defo pimping +4 doors + leather ect ect. someone on here has it

7. skipp123

skipp123 Member

8. kapzae86

kapzae86 New Member

=|

hey mate, new to the forum - in kind of the same boat as you needing a sensible car these days for daily driving. i wouldnt suggest a merc to be honest

great cars and good tech and build, but just abit too soft to keep the drivers interest, audi front wheel drives im not much of a fan of either.

if you want a sensible car thats got driving appeal - bmw is the only german name that comes to mind. e39 520d if the fuel budget is loww.. lpg converted bmws? still get the comfort and looks but also fun to drive.

My mate gets 40/45mpg out his 320d. and doesnt complain that its a slug.

Peace =):smokin:

9. kapzae86

kapzae86 New Member

BMW : Mint Condition BMW 528i SE

suggestion for project, lights and wheels are naff but car looks clean. with sum genuine bmw/alpina/a.c. schnitzer/bbs.. and genuine headlamps this can look killer

10. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

I know its not on your list but I'd go for a E46 330D.

Better MPG and more for your money than the 5 series.
    Loads of sport autos about too :)

11. Jord

Jord drifted.com

QFT, you can get an E46 330D for that sort of money. Mileage will be high but they are good for it.

My daily is an E46 330D Touring now and I love it. Bags of torque, 50MPG and a huge boot!

12. -=FUBES=-

-=FUBES=- New Member

[​IMG]

Saab 9-5 Aero Estate. Bullet proof, 2.3turbo, 250BHP (300 easily available with very few mods), I average 27mpg in mine (50% town 50% motorway, never below 90 lol). On a run you can see 40mpg if you are that way inclined. Comfort wise, I have driven A6's, 5 series, Volvo V70's, the 9-5 beats them all. Will tow no problems so (if like me) when the kids get older you want to return to skidding, you have a perfect tow vehicle. Just another option.....

-=F=-

13. Bladerider

Bladerider Ajudged scoundrel !!

BMW Diesel estate

All the car you could need

3 series, 5 series, doesnt really matter.

If you want a slightly leftfield choice then I still would fancy James's old E36 M3 Touring which went back up for sale a while back, it just looked so right.

Diesel A6 Audis dont get anywhere near the fuel consumption thats been mentioned in this thread, at least mine didnt in 2 years and 80k miles anyway !!! They are horrendously expensive on service costs if done at delaers, but at the price you are buying you wouldn't get caught in that trap anyway. Same for BMW's and frankly modern Mercs are just too boring unless you get one with a nuclear warhead for an engine !!

J.

14. Gary.

Gary. Member

T5 Ovlov

15. Si.

Si. Member

see mick exactly what i said on the phone, e46/39 diesel fact

5k will prob reach a sport model aswell:D

16. Yeah_Mick

Yeah_Mick Beauty Purr!

i will look at e46 330d's what kind of realist mpg can i expect from it, mix of town driving and a bit of dualcarriage way/ motorway driving.

As for it being quick, thats not really a problem as i drive like a grandad 90% of the time anyway, only real shit i give my car is skiding, which mi giving up for a while. if the fun factor isnt there i wont be able to act the cock and rape fuel.

17. Yeah_Mick

Yeah_Mick Beauty Purr!

what are these swirl flaps you speak of?

quick edit just to give an idea of the kind of thing im looking at mercedes wise

http://pistonheads.com/sales/2221504.htm

#18 Yeah_Mick, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  18. Bladerider

Bladerider Ajudged scoundrel !!

I dont like small Mercs,

And I certainly dont like early 2000's C-class with 130k miles on them - they just dont last like the old ones did and have only been getting better made the last 3 or 4 years.

33od Sport should see you around the 40mpg mark realistically taking in all types of driving. Dont believe the figures you read or on car sites as they are just not realistic - my other halfs 120d Msport is meant to do 60+mpg average but doesnt get anywhere near it no matter how well you drive !!

Personally I prefer 5-series for the extra room and comfort....here ya go, dont fuck around, just get it bought !!! :D

2002 BMW 5 SERIES 530d Sport 5dr Auto Diesel Touring

19. Tommy Kaira

Tommy Kaira Active Member

Any volvo with a D5 engine. Not owned any for a long period of time but the ones I've driven (800 miles in one go in an S60 D5) have been quick enough for a daily, don't use any fuel and are pretty comfortable.