disabled Drifters

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by bigniks, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Rhys_sx

Rhys_sx -NightWalkers-

gets me in work, we have a customer with no left arm but he drives a standard manual car. will have to get in with him one day to c how he does it

2. mitto

mitto -NIGHTSPIRT FAMILY-

If you want any modifications done give me a shout, I was asked by a fella with one leg to set a manual car up for him once to drift, but he never showed again. Really interested in the engineering behind it tbh :)

spent quite a while getting it all sussed. if you have the full use of one hand and one leg, it shouldn't be that difficult to set up relative to a normal car.

3. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

my mate tom lost both his legs and one arm in afghan, he now has a porsche 911 that he can drive with one frickin arm! (dont ask how, im too scared to even look) but will find out who built it for him

4. bigniks

bigniks Member

thats amazing man next time have a look id be intreasted to see how that works

it took me nearly 2 years to get my drivers licence i had to fill out like 50 fourms to get my provisional driving licence and had to do an NHS assessment, got told id never drive a manual car (yea right like thats going to stop me)

my 14A
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i think al il need is a small steering wheel
    hydro hand brake but im not to sure what eles id need iv spoke to Mint on here about it in the past, i reckon it mite be a lot of trail and error in this

steve

5. mitto

mitto -NIGHTSPIRT FAMILY-

your car is cool, but more low! :p

I would have thought a bigger wheel might be better as you'll get more leverage? What mobility do you actually have then? I guess thats the crux of it, knowing what movements you can make sets the mark.

6. bigniks

bigniks Member

cheers yea need to drop it on its ass lol

i dont need anything to actual drive a car im on a normal licence etc

my arm is weak and dont have a lot of movement in my hand (cant grip very well) but my right arm and hand is perfect

7. wst

wst Member

If you connected up the wand somehow so you could push it instead of pulling it, it might be a bit easier than having a 'grip and pull back' wand? It takes out an extra motion (gripping) which you have problems with, so... can anyone think of any car control problems with a push-away wand?

8. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

I dont know if you have seen it mate, and if not ill try and dig out a spare (if we have any) and either scan it in or post it you, but a few years ago we (redline) did a full feature on that Weld Chaser drift car the lad in the wheelchair drives.

You shouldnt need anywhere near as many mods as that to do it will as you can drive a manual car already, but it will prob give some good ideas.

9. bigniks

bigniks Member

That would be great cheers

10. guvner

guvner New Member

Hi there, yep your not alone I'm a left leg amputee but sadly I'm just getting into drifting myself, I think I'm gonna go with a manual car with a duck clutch as I belive the button on the duck may work as a clutch kick? (could be wrong, if so tell me please:) I watched the YouTube clip and I think wst is right about it being use as a kick too, nice car chap & sorry I can't be any help.

11. chunk

chunk Raging Alcoholic

Hey dude,

I'm registered disabled (actually suprised no one mentioned me already LOL) my left leg is about 50% use, right hand is 60% and my right shoulder is 75%. Although for driving i don't really have any issues as such.

Not really alot i can advise you on, but if you need any help, feel free to ask.

Good man BTW :)

Rich

12. Zoomj

Zoomj Is Skint

Really nice car matey :smokin:

13. Dunkz

Dunkz Garage LSD

remind me next time I see you and we can have a chat about what you do or dont need to do to the car in order to get it suitable for you on track. :thumbs:

14. yassa

yassa Member

i had a motorcycle accident in 2004 and along with a few other injuries the main problem was my left arm. i now have a mechanical elbow,it just means my arm is about 6 inches or so shorter as it wont straighten and has little strength on push but not too bad on pull,only gives a few problems with handbrake and gearchange,but it wont stop me having fun...

15. Celicaron

Celicaron New Member

Ok peeps im also disabled t12 paraplegic and drive a manual gt4 i use the duck clutch system basically the same as the cresta one but he uses micro switches and sensors where as the duck uses a lever to operate the same system , accelerat

16. Celicaron

Celicaron New Member

Any one wants any info or help with hand controls or hand operated clutch systems get in touch im no expert but have fitted all my own controls for last 10 years now ,

17. JackCornick

JackCornick Member

Obviously having no idea about what your condition is actually like to live with, but I'd have thought that nothing should stop you if you want to do it, maybe develop your technique to have as little movement as possible.

Id say a good powered S14 should take most tracks in 2nd gear all the way round, have a very long handled Hydro installed. So you dont need to worry about changing gear, the hydro is very accessible and being long easy to pull on. Then its just about your footwork, clutch kicks and throttle control (not sure how stiff S14 clutch is, but a nice soft one). For the most part when drifting you let the steering wheel run through your hand, giving small inputs; anything sharp usually sends you in to a spin.

Yeh, I'd say get a big hydro, power so you dont have to change gear that much, soft clutch (if possilbe) and just learn to be delicate with you inputs. Nothing will hold you back!!!

18. JackCornick

JackCornick Member

PS: that S14 is sick!!

Just read about your left hand. If you dont have enough strength in your grip, how about an open hook that you can strap on your left forearm. Not sure if it would work but im picturing something that will strap to your forearm, extend passed your hand and have quite a wide open hook (like 90 degrees not a full 180 degrees). I'm not trying to take the piss, but I'm sure I've seen Mr. Bean use something similar when driving his mini from the back seat.

Have a rubber handled hyro, and a rubber lined hook for grip and use your bicep, tricep and back muscles to pull (like rowing) Then if your left hand is free enough you can still use it to help your right arm with the steering wheel. I hope you can find something that suits you buddy!

19. chunk

chunk Raging Alcoholic

Celicaron,

Since I've posted above I've had a left above knee amputation, I've been looking into the duck clutch system and I think for me, Its the one to go for

If possible, could you call me on 07870996702 to discuss the system.

Cheers

Rich

20. Gogzy

Gogzy Active Member

somebody was looking for this but never found it