UK Police and attitudes

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by CanCer, Feb 15, 2011.

1. sx-si

sx-si anti-copy parts

lol it can be just as bad here, polo got cought in his old s14a and could of lost his lisance
    sertian things are the same though like each tyre with less than 1.6mm of tread can be 3 points so 4 bald tyres and you could lose your lisance to driv any car

cant you keep the papers the pits give you and show the next copper there talking crap and they might get the message?
    if not then a harrasment case?

most cops that pull me over have a good reasdon to di it, and are normally ok.(depending on what part of the uk im in)

2. christomofo

christomofo Member

Police over here in N.I. arent exactly friendly when it comes to modified cars often patrolling late at night stopping modified cars and sending them straight to the MOT centre at the time havent been too harsh with me any time i've been pulled over but did stop a friend for a full hour while they measured his number plates

3. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

interesting viewing, though kind of contradiciting in the opening bit, about how the only rights were aware of are what we hear second hand, and this video itself is exactly that.

and its pretty hard to take someone dressed like phone jacker seriously...

4. CanCer

CanCer Member

HAha yeah, the way it seems to be at least to me over here is that the cops take any breaking of the law (even going 5 KM over) to be a personal insult towards them and then treat you as such, no matter how nice you are because when they get to your car they've already built themselves up into being angry and vindictive.

Not at all, I know someone who was Yellow Stickered on his way home from the pits, although fortunately he showed up back at the pits and told them what happened and they pulled the sticker off. But people have tried that excues before and the standard response they get is that it's been X amount of days since you left the pits and you could have done the illegal modifications after that.

Unfortunately like I said it's a system meant to keen unsafe and badly kept vehicles off the road but it gets abused by police as a way to control 'hoons'.

5. Nick Sheen

Nick Sheen Box Assassin

Have things got worse there in recent years? when I went to australia, i got pulled over for eratic driving and the policeman was nice and friendly. Also got pulled for no seatbelts but i guess being english helps, laws are for locals and all that.

I like NZ police best, i got pulled over for slowing and told to get out the way.

6. CanCer

CanCer Member

What were you driving at the time? A drift car or a nice little rental Getz =P That seems to make all the difference, I've done some dodgy stuff in my girlfriends Lancer and haven't been looked at twice :o

How would being Aus appear in the eyes of the constabulary over there? I won't just be visiting I'll be living there though, so will they even see it differently?

7. Nick Sheen

Nick Sheen Box Assassin

i was in a hiace van. :)

From what i can work out, In australia you seem to be fucked if you build anything remotely odd looking. I guess street sleepers would work.

In England, just show an Australian license, i bet that will put most police off from the extra paperwork.

8. Liam.

Liam. Active Member

I lived in canada for 2 years on Vancouver island and the coppers realy dont give a fuck about anything! I got a ticket in vancouver city for '' Exhibition of acceleration'' Basicly doing a brake stand at a set of lights . Even then they said the only issue they had was that for about 100 yards behind no one could see anything! My experience of police in england massivley depends on the area! Most traffic coppers i have had dealings with have been sound . Its the young female officers who i have had most grief off.

9. CanCer

CanCer Member

Yeah that's hopefully going to work in my favour, but a little unsure whether I'll be able to keep using it for the 2 years I'm there =P

10. Nick Sheen

Nick Sheen Box Assassin

I think you have to exchange it after a year, i'd hold onto it though. i think foreign license will help a lot.

11. jamespayne5

jamespayne5 Active Member

Just as a quick question CanCer!

I'm moving the other way and going to Perth in the summer to work as a geo. Last year i was over and got a speeding fine somehow driving a camper, when i apply for a WA licence will i have any points on it already do you think? Police are way more sneaky over there, i never even saw the car/camera and can only assume it was hidden in a bush... I've never had a ticket here! haha

12. CanCer

CanCer Member

I'd doubt it =] They have a hard enough time transfering fines over to new owners of vehicles and stuff when you buy one and get done so I doubt they'll be able to work out that your name matches that in the computer of someone from overseas who's applying for a licence =P

But yeah they are, they've started implementing rear facing cameras so they can bury them in bush on the side of the road and then you've driven past and are flashed, and that way the flash can't warn others behind you.

If I'm still here when you get here let me know, always keen for friends =P

13. Sw3eDz

Sw3eDz New Member

traffic poo tooks my mates beemer twice for catching him drifting!! the bloke who drove it said he thought the rear brakes kept locking up round corner lmao, it amazes me how they dont know what a welded diff is!!!

14. Yeah_Mick

Yeah_Mick Beauty Purr!

mad i know, when my nan drove my car even she said my welder was sick. She knows what a welder is:rolleyes:

15. ross86

ross86 Active Member

Tbh ive found police in the uk as long as you dont have a problem or an attitude wih them are fine ive not rele had much bother at all and i drive through london everyday.

Even the other day i finished a late shift was driving quite quick down the highway after towerbridge and was next to a police van i went straight past them broke for the speed camera and then sped off again without even noticing them there they then came up behind me and stuck the lights on and i still thought they just wanted me to move i had no idea what id done but when i got out they told me i appologised and said tbh i hadnt even noticed and they left me to go on my way

bit silly on my part but it was late... Also when i was younger i owned a car which had an engine conversion and quite a few other mods done but i hadnt insured them i was pulled over as id swerved messing about and there was a police car behind me obviously i didnt realise that lol.

Anyway he could have taken my licence and kept it as id notnlong passed but he said u seem a nice lad ure not an idiot get the car home and get it insured and that was the end of it

so in all for me and my experiences the police have been more than fair and ive learnt my lessons from it

ross

16. zombie

zombie Active Member

When the blue and two's go on pull over as soon as you can.
    Switch your car and stereo off
    Get out and stand over on the curb and wait for them before they ask you to get out.
    Take down any hoods you may be wearing
    Be polite.

Goes a LONG LONG way, I have been caught doing some stupid stuff and I still have a completely clean licence.

I got caught doing 85 in a 30 as I didn't realise the evo 9 behind me was a police car (my skyline had poor poor mirrors I could just about work out the shape of the car)

When I went round a bend and saw it was all stickered up I pulled into the tescos before they even flashed the lights as I knew it was coming.

They were just like "you obviously realised what you did blah blah, drive back safely blah blah" Then proceeded to chat to me about cars and showed me how the ANPR works etc etc aha.

Manners cost nothing but can really make the difference.

17. jamespayne5

jamespayne5 Active Member

Yeh no worries mate, cheers for the reply!

Sounds good if i'm out at the same time, i know a few people out there already but its always good to know more!

18. HermaN

HermaN Member

See, had you been cought up here I'm 110% sure you would have been charged with Dangerous Driving. Obv only a court can impose such a penalty, but the cops will have definately reported you for it when doing almost 3x the speed limit, regardless of whether or not you were polite to them.

Actually very, very surprised you didn't at least get charged for speeding doing that!

19. bryanscott

bryanscott Member

If you are driving with a hood up you are pretty much asking to get a tug by the fuzz. Would be a bit of a silly thing to do really.

Was watching one of those road wars type programmes and some boy got pulled over because he had his hood up. The reason? He hadn't done his hair. The Result? They smelt booze on him (out the night before - reason for not doing hair) and he got done for drink driving.

As much as its a good thing he got caught, if he hadn't been wearing his hood he might have got away with it.

20. zombie

zombie Active Member

Well if I am doing nothing wrong, not drinking then I will wear my hood if I like aha.