Single wheel nut conversions

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Polo, Mar 22, 2011.

1. eight_six

eight_six Member

I'm certainly not one to talk, but 'Tinypenis.com' springs to mind!!!! they aint worth the hassle!! fair enuf if ya car had them to start with so be it..

on Real race cars they are there for a purpose
    quicker wheel changes... for one

but the real and main reason is it equates to a lighter set up, less rotational weight, less unsprung weight, = more performance

now if your making these to fit your original hubs your just adding more unsprung weight reducing performance... cant see the logic myself..

But hey ho good luck..

2. taylor

taylor Active Member

3. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

^you use those to make your sierra based kit car more old skool^

lol at the thought of turning up to a practice day and seing folk with copper mallets changing wheels.

4. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

Would it even be ok to use them on non-centre lock wheels?

5. taylor

taylor Active Member

i guess as long at the out crop/stud parrent matched those on the adaptor, seems like a lot of effort for little gain tho

6. chady

chady Member

i had touring car wheels on my cozzy
    center knocks 18s bbs
    looked the bollocks

7. kieran_e1

kieran_e1 In need of practice

i would assume he's using a modicum of sense when probably more than half the comp cars in the uk run rota's or equivalent so it would make sense to bring something to the table most folk can use right away without having to go and buy new wheels as well

8. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

i see how the image ones work.they use wheel nuts like 'tuner nuts' to convert the wheel studs to drive pegs. you would have to find some wheels with the correct pcd.

its also worth mentioning that designers seem to use any old taper/thread on the actual centre nut then have the wheels machined to suite.

i know the jag stuff like the xj220's used 5x120 pcd drive pegs.so maybe look for old yank tank stuff as that should atleast have decent ofset.

its agood idea really as it would save you having to undo 10 nuts.its just a logistical nightmare if you intend on offering it as a ready made kit.

9. caged

caged Drift Gibbon

no

and i wouldnt wanna be anywhere near anyone running such a setup :wack:

10. Jimbo_Jetskii

Jimbo_Jetskii Member

So you'd be planning on bolting a taper onto the centre hole on a normal bolt type wheel?

They surely arent designed to take that kind of load in that area though???

Doesnt sound safe to me...

Am I missing something?

11. supernova-dw

supernova-dw Active Member

To make this conversion worthwhile and safe it would cost absolutely loads ! You couldn't simply do the centre nut up with a standard air gun and expect it to hold up for very long,you'd have to be pissing about with a massive pole which of course would take ages and make the conversion pointless,or you'd have to spend a shit load on proper air guns,lastly to make it worthwhile weight saving wise you'd have to get some custom cnc machined hubs made up,basically I think if you want to do this conversion and reap the rewards then you need ALOT of money,does it really take that long to change a wheel with a decent electric gun ?

12. caged

caged Drift Gibbon

plus some seriouuus PSI :wack:

13. EvojeepGal

EvojeepGal Active Member

Just read through this, it's definately a good idea for the purpose of 5minute rules, considering how many people have actually lost battles over them over the years.

But reading here is the same thing over and over again, with any "new" venture are risks and a lot of questions to be looked into and answered.

Surely your all well aware of the fabrication skills Polo has between his build threads and his conversion plates over the years, i dont see the reason to doubt??!!:wack:

I don't see anyone else putting their money where their mouth is and trying new things... How many people replying on here will actually be interested in purchasing a kit if/when he does it??!!:smash:

14. Paddy

Paddy Speedhunter

Another thing to go alongside the centre lock wheels : Air Jacks. Still amazed no one in Ireland / UK use them.

15. Car Media

Car Media Doughnut eater

We were asked to look at doing these for a customer but they need for about 250+ psi, this made it out of the range of normal mobile type compressors and then you have to get into transporting and storing nitrogen gas cylinders? just ended up to much hassle....

Dan.

16. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

Because they are about £350 each, plus fitting, lines etc :wack:

Plus the air you need to run them.
    All of that to save about 15 sec...

17. docwra

docwra Active Member

18. docwra

docwra Active Member

The next Apex car has them fitted IIRC. :nod:

19. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

i was going to put air jacks on mine as i already had some spare but i couldnt be arsed lugging a gas cylinder around. the thing to use is a diving cylinder.if you get it from your local place then they usually do free refills. just dont tell them what you want it for.

you can run your air gun and plasma cutter off it aswell.

20. docwra

docwra Active Member

Portable plasma cutter = win. :nod: