Car Paint Spraying

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Epic, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Epic

Epic New Member

Over the last few weeks I have been looking into learing about spraying cars. There are no colleges or courses in my area plus I have full time job.

I have a few questions if anyone on here could help I will love them long time!!

While looking for something at work I found a brand new gun = WIN! we have a very very very large air compressor and a hose shop just up the road so im sure I will be able to link it all up. We have a scrap yard near our yard so I will get a few old doors and wings to try it out before I do my own car but ...

Can I use the same gun for all primer and colouring?

I have watched alot on youtube and seen how to use 400 grit to sand it down. It seems you have to sand it until smooth then wipe it then prime it then sand it then paint it?

I would like to learn about metalics and candy colours from what I can see you have to multi layer the piant?

and lastly if I am changing colour do I have to clean the gun out I am using ... thanks for reading and any advice would be helpful!!

:dw:

2. "Clarkey"

"Clarkey" "Full Attack!"

sand it down 400
    sand it down 800
    sand it down 1200
    primer it
    sand down 1200
    spray base coat
    spray top coat
    spray lacquer
    flatten 1200 - very wet! too dry and you'll fuck the lacquer
    buff up with DA - very wet! too dry and you'll fuck the lacquer + go easy on edges and corners.

iirc, been a long time since i sprayed my motors.

ive always used seperate guns, but providing you use the right nozzles and clean them out properly then i cant see why you cant use the gun for primer or paint.

if your changing colour then of course you need to clean it etc

3. Epic

Epic New Member

Thanks for the fast reply. I will pick up the all the sand papers you said later today!!

I get confused with like base coat and top coats.... (silly question)

..say I wanted to do "bayside blue" and got the paint code and went to the local paint shop would they give me two tins one base coat and one top coat ... or do I mix the paint up spray it on leave it 24H then re do it? is that what is ment by base and top coat? or is base coat the primer?

Thanks!

4. phat 13

phat 13 Member

Prep with 80, 180, finish with 400, two or three coats of a 2k high build primer

after 6 to 8 hours air dry flat with 400 then if u want 1200 wet & dry to get rid of any scratch marks the 400 may leave.

Put basecoat on, once the basecoat has dried , say 30 mins air dry depending on temp can be faster , it will have a dull finish, you can then put the clear ontop .

Trust me good paint work is hard to do so practice alot befor you try a good gun finished panel.

Clarky , stick to engines bud lol ;0)

5. Epic

Epic New Member

Thanks I am getting as much advice as poss!...

... where is the best place to get that sanding paper? my local paint shop?...

I have also looked into the thinners to clean the gun ... once I finished do I jus fill the hooper with thinners and spray the gun into a can until it runs clear?

I have a friend who works in a spray shop and he said he would help me / teach tho I dont want to be naive and learn as much as I can!! Thanks!!

6. phat 13

phat 13 Member

Yes an yes :0)

you will need help mate so use your buddy well .

7. R32Till

R32Till New Member

Depends what paint your goingto use?

2k base coat paint will need more of a prepped surface, as it will show up every Da and sanding mark.

2k gloss you can have a slightly rougher finish (i find 600grit da scratches cover without trace)

Just be advised, you may have trouble obtaining 2k paint from a normal paint supplier, best off buying off e-gay, or convince said paint supplier that its for industrial or agricultural use, as theres no legislation.

And remember to get a decent paper suit, gloves, tape, air fed mask etc...