Any advice?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Jeeves-E36, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Jeeves-E36

Jeeves-E36 New Member

Hey all, i'm new here and i'm a bit of an amature, i'm currently using a ford sierra which has pretty much had it! :rolleyes:

I bought a bmw compact last week for cheap, i dont have the budget for the cars i want at the minute and would like to keep it street legal, so just wanted to know if it could be a half decent drift car or should i just flog it and buy something else?

Jeeves.

2. tomsheen

tomsheen Active Member

you realize you gave no spec with you question at all!?
    what size engine, suspension, LSD etc etc...

3. Jeeves-E36

Jeeves-E36 New Member

Oh crap, sorry, was in a rush to go out! well its a totally un-modified 1999 BMW E36 316i 1.9l compact, doubt it's got an LSD but not really drove it properly yet as it has a couple of problems.

Just looking into the potential of it really, i know Team Church runs a compact but i dont have the budget or skill of those guys!

4. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

compacts with the 4 pot engine are driftable but do suck a bit power to weight wise, if you're not attached to it or dont fancy or cant afford to spend much money on it then i'd personally be inclined to flog it in favour of a 323/325/328i or an mx5 or something.

5. Jeeves-E36

Jeeves-E36 New Member

Yeh i suppose i had a feeling someone would say that, especially the age it is, i bet it'll barely produce 100 bhp anymore! lol.

cheers for the advice anyways mate! :thumbs:

6. toydave

toydave New Member

I always favoured the e30 325 for a reliable cheap drifter, f#cK my touring used to have it big time, dam i miss that car :cry:

7. lozza

lozza ChickFoot FTW!

I tried drifting an e36 316 with an open diff once, the least amount of fun ever.

8. Jeeves-E36

Jeeves-E36 New Member

yeh i just took it out for a quick spin..... its f*cking useless!

i'm not sure what car to get next, as a previous ban means i'll be paying out the arse on insurance for anything decent! either way i'll definately be flogging this when i get it sorted.

9. lozza

lozza ChickFoot FTW!

Volvo 340's are pretty good on insurance, i found that they were a lot cheaper than BMW's when i was younger

10. Jeeves-E36

Jeeves-E36 New Member

i'll have to look into one of them, thanks.

11. Ratboy_B

Ratboy_B Member

if you flogging it deffo get a 340 as a starter car they are mint. i had one, so much learning and so much fun! otherwise weld the zimma up and get involved! my mate had the 316 1.8 but it wasnt a compact but that went well enough

12. Jeeves-E36

Jeeves-E36 New Member

been looking into the volvo's, they're cheap enough but the 1.7 GLE only had 80bhp new, whereas mine had 104. i know mine will weigh more, but surely i should be better to slide?

anyone welded the diff on an e36?

#12 Jeeves-E36, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011