Lauren's AE86 Trueno

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Lauren, May 16, 2011.

1. Lauren

Lauren Member

AE86 has gone off to the bodyshop this morning. Wonder how long it will be before I start getting calls, saying 'we've found some more rust'? Am ever so slightly anxious!

2. Ian.G

Ian.G 86 ColdTurkey

Hey Lauren!!!

so glad you have finally taken the plunge on one. It seems you have a really tidy and honest car to start with which is always nice. Don't gut the interior - please keep it in nice shape.

I remember the day you drove my car at Silverstone very very well - you got to grips with the car really quickly (your time in the low-power MR2's served you well) compared to somebody who will remain nameless s-body driver who couldn't get on with it at all :euge:. On the same day Terry Collins got me to sit in with a female journalist and teach her to drift the Monaro VXR she'd brought along - so much easier than the corolla (i.e just leave it in 3rd and don't worry about gears for now LOL)

Mine started with the Honda engine in it on Friday so it won't be long before I'm back out now. Can't wait.

3. Lauren

Lauren Member

Hello Ian,

Long time no hear! Just knew I'd get one, one day, so yes took the plunge as I felt it was about time for a mid life crisis as I'm fast closing in on the big 4-0! ;)

I'm not going to gut the interior, don't worry, it's my daily driver and I'll be restoring the interior as I go along. It's got some sensible mods that I'm happy with so it can double up as a daily driver and still do the odd track/drift day when the fancy (well when monies allow) takes me.

Great news on your car, I was beginning to wonder if it all had ground to a halt, but great stuff if you've got it to fire up. More thread updates required Ian!

Would be fab to catch up at some point down the line. I'm trying to get out to some events this year, just have some more fettling to do before the car is quite ready, but I really enjoyed the Ace Cafe meet.

I'm guessing that my deadline to be ready for the Anglesey trackday on 18th June, is a bit soon for you, but hey, you never know! :)

4. Joe-sef

Joe-sef -Broseph-

how much? and what circuit is being run? (if you know)

hope all goes well at the bodyshop!

although i couldnt see anything wrong with it!

5. Lauren

Lauren Member

Hi Joe. It's the GP circuit so the full and longest layout.

Cost is £199. Tis open pitlane through Loading...

It's basically a Pistonheads day, but I figure that most people are members of Pistonheads anyways, so that's not a problem. For that price, expect high driving standards, no queueing and a seriously good day out on track.

Should be a fun, have a few friends coming along that have booked up now.

Ah Joe, too kind(!). The rear bumper has some scuffing and paint peeling and there are a few other cosmetics bits that need tidying up. The car was like that when I bought it. Can't wait to get it back all pristine, I hope!

6. Joe-sef

Joe-sef -Broseph-

yeah thats abit out of my price range :( being local i can be part of a local club, which in the summer, has £30 for 3 hours on a tuesday or thurdays once a month in the summer.

means its awesome for a little blast.

still im sure ill come down for a watch!

7. Lauren

Lauren Member

Fair play, sounds like you get a good deal there.

Come on down, bring your helmet, reckon there'll be a few of us. :thumbs:

Passngers are free btw.

8. Joe-sef

Joe-sef -Broseph-

sweet would love to get a ride in another AE86

9. Lauren

Lauren Member

Should be do-able. ;)

10. Papercutout

Papercutout Active Member

Really, what club? I'm only 30 mins from Silverstone.

Lovely looking AE86 Lauren, really hope you don't get any nasty surprises! Have fun with it, it'll be nice to see it progressing.

11. JsonRacing

JsonRacing Member

Initial d!!!!!!!

12. JamesAE86

JamesAE86 Active Member

very nice trueno. the stickers you posted up are what toyota now sell as ae86 ones, the original style they no longer do :(

[​IMG]

you can get them on aeu86.org but they're a little big so maybe get those and find someone that makes up stickers/decals and get them to resize if you want them looking original. oh and sign up to ae86irl.com its the best forum for ae86's :)

13. Joe-sef

Joe-sef -Broseph-

Its only for Anglesey Circuit

14. Lauren

Lauren Member

Thanks James. I know those decals are wrong and yes we checked original ones are unavailable as Toyota list the later Trueno stickers as replacements.

I've seen some available on there but they have to be spot on. Am also trying to find where I could get them screen printed (though that might be asking too much). I've been speaking to a company who can do it for me, I just need to get the exact OEM dimensions. I don't suppose you know of the measurements or where I could get them?

Cheers,

Lauren

15. JamesAE86

JamesAE86 Active Member

I had the sizes before for the levin ones, I got the stickers off aeu86.org then got them scaled down to the right sizes and printed off, put them up against original ones on a car over here and they were spot on. can't find the measurements I had now but they were for the corolla levin. best bet is find someone with a trueno that still has the original stickers on and get them measured, then a set off that site and scale down I'd say.

16. Sethix

Sethix Member

that 86 is almost perfect for me....

17. Lauren

Lauren Member

Okay car is in the bodyshop this week, progress so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Lauren

Lauren Member

I'll try that James, but have to say, I've yet to see a Trueno in real life with rear decals on! Seems to be something of a rarity!

19. Lauren

Lauren Member

Thanks James, but I'm not often in Ireland! Maybe I should join ae86irl.com if they'd let me!

I did see those stickers on the jap auctions but obviously I can't buy them. My car is a GT Apex though rather than GTV.