Rb30 s13

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by big_mac, Jan 28, 2010.

1. big_mac

big_mac Member

oh christ, all my embedding has messed up, anybody able to shed any ligh ton how to fix it?

2. big_mac

big_mac Member

UPDATE TIME!!!!

bit of a step back in time really to be honest, this is the work involved in getting the engine to fire up.

the major obstruction in getting it to run was the lack of inlet plenum, in order to fit this i required to sort out the cluch cylinder (which was far too big) and also find a place to mount the wasted spark coilpack.

a quick search on here (you guys are legends) pointed me in the direction of a primera master, so 10 mins later and 15 quid lighter i had what i needed in my posession.

it was a very easy job to fit it, and the external resivoir fits in nicley behind the plenum.

[​IMG]

next on the list was the coil pack, it would fit nicley between the clutch master cylinder and the VIN so the holes were drilled, rivnuts were fitted and it looked like this:

[​IMG]

add some threaded rod:

[​IMG]

and some spacers:

[​IMG]

and you end up with:

[​IMG]

so on with the plenum, just temporarily mind as there is other work to be done, but at some point it must have been stressed (probably in the wiggling involved in fitting it as the bay is uber tight) and we spotted it had cracked along the welds:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and heres me thinking its only in hollywood you can blow the welds on the intake manifold :D
    Not to worry however, off it came and out came the welder and taaaa daaaa one fixed manifold.

[​IMG]

3. big_mac

big_mac Member

Next up was the fuel system, although with money being tight this can only be half done at the moment, the tank i had bought for it was a foam filled fuel cell but for varios reasons ive decided to ditch it and buy something else that would be more suitable to the power, pump and location it needs to go.

So with that said i ran the fuel lines in preparation for the tank and also mounted the fuel pressure regulator (pics of this to follow) but in the meantime here are pics of the lines as they stand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the lines are -8 full braided hose which came off richies 600 (ish) bhp s13 so should be up to the job, especially when combined with the HUUUUGE Aeromotive A1000 pump
    [​IMG]

more pics/info to follow but ive been up since half 5 so im off to bed.

thanks for reading folks :thumbs:

4. big_mac

big_mac Member

Fuel System (cont..)

in my earlier post i promised pics of the engine side of the fuel system, well as promised:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as you can see, the FPR fits nicley behind the drivers side suspension turret, the return to the tank runs under the master cylinder and to the rear of the car as pictured earlier, the feed from the pump runs up the side of the gearbox tunel and into the rail with it then returning from the rail to the FPR via a pipe i had made up by the guys at hydrafit.

[​IMG]

The fuel pump was next on the list of things to do, and being freaking massive it was tricky to find a place to put it. The pump itself had to be somewhere that would be out the way from spray/grit etc off the road, somewhere where the risk of damage would be reduced and also it needed to be low enough to allow the tank/swirl pot level to be above the pump to minimise fuel supply issues whilst at the same time giving clearance for what will eventually be a mammoth exhaust system.

it may be a bit unconventional (ive never seen it mounted here before) but it works and it fits in with all the above criteria.

(Appologies in advance for these pics, the light was going and i just couldnt get the phone to focus properly)

so first up was to make the brackets, in order to seperate the pump from the vibrations of the car it was mounted on 4 exhaust bobbins a bargain at a quid each :)

Bracket no 1

[​IMG]

and bracket No. 2

[​IMG]

can anyone guess where its mounted yet?

Brackets mounted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and diff back in place:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and finally with the pump bolted up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more pics to come when ive had a chance to nip to hydrafit for the required fittings to hook up the pump to the engine and also wire it up to the omex.

5. big_mac

big_mac Member

just realised i havent updated this in aaaaages. so on with the progress.

The past few weeks there has been quite a bit of progress, i had an unexpected windfall over christmas so i made a few essential purchases, namley a fuel tank, swirl pot and also a cat back exhaust system (to stop it setting fire to itself when we run it)

the tank is an absolute steal, its an 80L (20 Gal) ali tank with sender unit, integrated sump, -10 outlets and its foam filled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

id reccommend them to anyone thats looking for an aftermarket tank, their shop can be found here

the swirl pot is from the same place, its a 2L pot (bigger are available) it has 6 -10 inlet/outlets and is perfect for using on the 200. this will give me about 20 secs of fuel at max injector flow so more than enough.

[​IMG]

the tank was mounted offcentre in the boot, its probably not the best position for it with there being so much weight behind the wheels but with it being to one side it should offset my fat ass sitting in the driving seat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the tank gravity feeds the swirl pot so its essential to get the swirl pot lower than the tank outlet whilst keeping it away from anything being thrown up from the wheels. The rest of the pics are pretty self explanatory but if you have any questions feel free to ask :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is the tank breather, it will probably be changed when the tank is boxed off, but for now its perfect

[​IMG]

6. big_mac

big_mac Member

i also mentioned an exhaust...

well i had been scouring the for sale section for a reasonably priced local exhaust, mainly because the car keeps setting fire to the floor when we run it, a simple 3" system would be fine for running in and the plan would be to swap it for something bigger when money allows.

again i got an abolute steal, its a bargain cat back 3" exhaust delivered from here for only 124 quid brand new :eek:

the fit is spot on and the sound is great, all it required was a downpipe --> cat pipe made up to allow it to fit.
    the car now looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the rag is just there to protect the tailpipe from damage whilst it was coming on and off.

the net result of the past couple of weeks work is:

its not running as smoothe as it should be because the plenum has a few leaks that need sealed and its only running on the TPS map, once i sort the inlet gasket then we will dial in a few figures and get the idle to settle down a bit more

#46 big_mac, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2017
  7. big_mac

big_mac Member

Car needs mapped badly, but i couldnt resist getting it out in the sun and getting you a vid of this, personally i think it sounds awesome, the vid doesnt really do it justice and its so tempting to just put throttle boddies on it :)

enjoy.

#47 big_mac, Jun 9, 2011
  8. big_mac

big_mac Member

The bits i need to make the intercooler havent surfaced so as yet, the plan is to make one big core out of 8 Subaru top mounts, so far ive only managed to lay my hands on 6 at reasonable monies, so if anyone has either an early "classic" (92-93ish) or a later revised "classic" (99ish) intercooler going cheap please let me know, they must have square end tanks and a y pipe though to be of any use.

So the few bit i could do were done, mainly getting myself an air filter and fitting the roof/roof vent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

not the most exciting of pictures i agree but its progress, the filter requires a shroud to be rolled to box it off and a cold air feed routed but this will probably have to be done at the same time as the intercooler pipework goes together.

The roof was a bit of a dilema, i even asked the good people of the sxoc on their opinions, but in the end it came down to the fact that the missus bought it, and spent a fair wad of cash she didnt have on it so it had to go on, in some lights it really suits the car and in others it doesnt so much, but i like it and i think when the cars painted it will settle into the car a bit more.

anyhoo, pic whoring time :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. big_mac

big_mac Member

Quick vid to proove it does actually move under its own steam, still milse from being ready but im addicted to pootling about the yard in it :)

#49 big_mac, Jun 9, 2011
  10. big_mac

big_mac Member

Well the next on the list, and the last thing needed to allow the car to be mapped is the intercooler.

Because of the size of the engine, the size of the turbo and the volume of air potentially passing through the cooler combined with the allowable space on the car for the intercooler to sit in means that i had to get creative. we had to come up with a cooler that would be as efficient as possible and as big as possible to actually fit.

so with that said..

after some measuring i decided on 8 of these:

[​IMG]

they are subaru impreza top mount coolers and they are cheapy cheap :nod:

what was done is take 1 angle grinder:

[​IMG]

to the 8 coolers leaving you with 8 cores that look something like this:

[​IMG]

once the end tanks have been cut off its a case of deburring the cut surfaces and flaring the insides to help improve the flow through the cores.

This is how the core looks pre butchery:

[​IMG]

you will notice just how good these cores are, the internal finning is a work of art, as such these coolers are very efficient considering the size of them.

After a bit of butchery in widening the internals:

[​IMG]

and a before and after:

[​IMG]

once all the cores have been cut, deburred and flared its time to get them clean and to flush the swarf out them as much as possible.
    Que the steam cleaner:

[​IMG]

Stack them to dry

[​IMG]

before grabbing Alan (Mr AVA) and his welder.

[​IMG]

and an action shot:

[​IMG]

Once 4 cores have been welded together it forms one side of my intercooler which looks something like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this core is now 700(L) x 380(H) x 80(D) so when the other core is complete and we do the final welds we shall have a core that has an area of 1400(L) x 760(H) x 160(D)

The next job for me is to now straighten every single fin on the cooler to ensure we get adequate airflow :wack:, then we shall mount it and make the end tanks :nod

its perhaps not going to be the prettyest but once its had a good coat of paint you wont see it. besides if it works it could look like maggie thatcher for all i care :D

11. diamondsink

diamondsink Kyouto Drift

Looks like you've crushed the fins by widening the openings. Surely you can get a off the shelf cooler that will be up to the job.

12. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Badass car, nice to see someone thinking for themselves too.

Ive just done similar to the above with 2 chargecoolers, picking it up from welding later. A single one the size of what my new one is would be a thousand plus, this one will have set me back under 200quid.

Ive seen an intercooler made up of 4 (i think) standard ones off a car that is renowned for having a very good intercooler for its size (ie very efficient core), and it massively out performed aftermarket intercoolers of exactly the same size.

What you doing about a wastegate? Dont look like there room on the ex' manifold?

EDIT- Just realised you got AVA on the case, good stuff, I like their ideas/work.

#52 Stavros, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  13. big_mac

big_mac Member

The existing rb25 manifold is alread pulse seperated so were going to work with it and modify it with wastegate takeoffs, pics will be uploaded as and when it gets done, but fear not we have a plan for it, the hardest part will be getting a screamer pipe on it.

in the meantime......

well the cooler is finished and temporarily mounted in order to make the end tanks, It been a paticularly slow build due to friends weddings, broken welders and general lazyess.

however there are some pics to prove it does fit :) its not the prettiest at the moment but there are plates to be added to seal and finish it so excuse the curret mess

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also the keen eyed will have noticed the hideous rocker cover. It was meant to match the rest of the car and eventually tie inwith the engine bay when the car gets painted but it didnt work out and im looking for a better colour to replace it.

friends are currently suggesting luminous pink or green but i dunno hoe good or bad that would look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. big_mac

big_mac Member

well got some more work done on the intercooler today, its coming along nicley now, just need to track down some 4" ali pipe/bends to get that side of things sorted.

1st of all i got some ali bent to the required shape:
    [​IMG]

then measured and cut the ends to hepl feed the ends of the core and avoid the chassis legs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then stretch them onto the cores and tack them in place to allow me to make up the plates for the ends.

[​IMG]

which leaves you like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

note the ends left long so they can be folded over and welded

et voila:

[​IMG]

which ends up looking like this:

[​IMG]

also made an additional support to triangulate the existing suport and make it a bit stronger:

[​IMG]

which when all done leaves you with something that looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and proof that it clears the slightly modified (hammered) chassis rails:

[​IMG]

next up is to take them off again and cut the hole for the pipework

15. big_mac

big_mac Member

Had the chance today to cornerweight the car, i did it more out of curiosity just to see what the rb30, mahsoove intercooler, big turbo,fuel cell and roll cage etc etc did to the weight of the car. standard weight from wikipedia is 1220kg

Found this in a search from back in 2003 Cornerweights - SXOC Bulletin Board

my car had a wad of crap ( bits of plastic trim, various nuts n bolts etc) inside and about 10L of fuel in the tank and these were the results without passenger:

[​IMG]

and with my fat ass in it:

[​IMG]

now i fully admit to know sweet fa about what these numbers mean, i was impressed how much lighter it is than expected and given the additional 90kg that would be in the tank when full and the fact its in the left rear corner of the car would seem to be that the weight is pretty well distributed. or am i wrong?

the car still needs intercooler pipework and a 2nd exhaust running down the driver side of the car but other than that its not far from how it would be once finished, also mabey worth noting that ive done nothing more than roughly measuring the shock lengths to get the car to sit evenly.

16. big_mac

big_mac Member

Well thanks to ebay i found some pipework, infact if anything i found too much pipework, i ended up with more than i needed (mainly because it went smoother than i thought it would).

I had decided due to the throtle being 4" and the turbo outlet being 3" that if i could find it id go for 4" pipework and due to the weight it had to be ali. so a few days after ordering 4 of these showed up :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or for a better size comparison:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i also bought a 90degree 3"-> 4" silicone bend which worked out perfect, the hot side worked out perfect by cutting the bends in half and re-oirentating them before welding them together. the hot side was a bit more fiddly due to the radius required to get the pipework into the plenum but nothing some fancy cutting didnt sort.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the cooler itself now has the first bends welded in with a silicone joiner then connecting it to the rest of the pipework all held in place with the best clamps money can buy (IMO) in mikalor. gotta say a big thanks to SFS performance for the hose clamps, i needed them at short notice and they came through with ease.

The intercooler also looked pretty crap if im honest, the cutting and grinding had taken their toll and they looked pretty scrappy so we made plates up to cover the top and bottom, they frame the cooler and also prevent air escapiong from between the cores improving the efficiency of the various coolers. I also spent 3 hours removing the bent fins from the front and back ( the internal faces were done pror to welding) before a coat of etch primer and some satin black. the results realy speak for themselves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. blazingburger

blazingburger Member

MONSTER MONSTER! what an epic setup.

18. Psychogopher

Psychogopher Member

Sounds Gooooooooooood.:nod:

19. big_mac

big_mac Member

good to hear of a fellow rebel :)

bit more progress with the car, the exhaust is being made :D

originally i was planning on running the 3" system till the car was run in and then it would have the new larger system made for it, but i came to a mutual agreement with alan and so the exhaust is being done earlier than needed.

im much happier this way, its something less i need to worry about changine for the forseeable future and should be more than big enough to let the car see past 6-700hp with no flow problems.

the exhaust that was on it looked like this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and was basically just a bargainlicious 3" cat back ebay special exhaust (very very high quality and very good fit for less than 130 quid delivered) it sounded fairly good and did the job perfectly.

the problems we had was that the turbo outlet was 4" which is upsized to 5" for the downpipe, we needed to find a way of maintaining the flow capabilities whilst fitting it under the car. a 5" pipe would sit very low, is very hard to get a hold of and wouldnt really fit under the subframe without being very vunerable.
    the route we decded on was to buy another barganlicious ebay special exhauts and reweld it all so it mirrors the one already on the car.

et voila:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this needs to connect to the downpipe so the downpipe was "reshaped" using a press to make it more oval

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this then allows us to make a custom oval pipe using a 3" pipe cut down its length with stainless stripps welded in to increase its size.

Appologies for the picture whoring :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 3" pipe has now been stretched to a 6" x 3" oval, and looks kinda like this when fitted :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it is still under construction and needs a fair bit more work so more pics will come next week hopefully, looking forward to seeing how it performs and more importantly how it sounds :D

20. Wilk0

Wilk0 Member

Hi - quick question about the corner weights... did you disconnect the ARB's before you weighed it?