flying to France with an expired passport

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by matt, Jun 11, 2011.

1. matt

matt -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY-

anyone done it? I'm leaving tomorrow and just realised my passport expired in February this year. I usually go once a year and theres typically fuck all checks, just a glance at the passport as you walk by.

Anyone travelled around the EU with a different form of ID? Driving License perhaps?

I've spent ages trying to google it and just found loads of keyboard warriors pointing out technicalities, would be great to hear some actual experiences!

2. b19man

b19man Member

you cant travel to france with a expired passport

There seems to be a common myth that a valid passport is not required for Spain...but this is unfortunately untrue. As far as I am aware, the only country with which Britain has an agreement for passport-less travel is Rep of Ireland. France tends to be very strict when it comes to immigration and French immigration officers are almost certain to turn you away without a valid passport.

3. matt

matt -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY-

sounds like the same site I googled earlier^

I appreciate you trying, but I'd really like to hear from someone with DIRECT experience of trying. Although I'll know myself in about 18hrs:wack:

4. rastamanblues

rastamanblues Member

I believe? (I could be wrong) but if you were to be found with having an expired passport by immigration of the destination country, the airline you flew in with is responsable, and can face v heavy fines combined with having to fly you back to the country of origin.

So I doubt you would even make it past the check-in desk.

5. milez

milez Active Member

Speak to Sam. I know he sells drift licenses. He might sell passports aswell lol

6. b19man

b19man Member

i did lol but my neighbour works in newport passport office and she said its a no no to travel on a expired passport

7. b19man

b19man Member

why dont you just ring the airport and ask ( but dont give your name ) lol

8. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

as above, obviously techincaly you cant fly on an expired passport, but i think youll find you way well get away with it.

only experience i have is doing exactly that but this was a good few years ago when i was 15. checks may well be a bit more in depth now

9. DriftLexus

DriftLexus BDC Scrutineer

the problem may not be leaving although you have to show your passport at the check in, but it will certainly be an issue when you try to get back into the uk

the only other method other than diplomats that are accepted in the Eu is the NATO travel order, which up untill only a few months ago, wasnt even accepted in france......good luck

10. b19man

b19man Member

try this one

11. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

guys. the op ISNT asking do you have to have a passport to go to france. as obviously the answer is yes. he wants to know has anyone ever gone with an out of date one and got away with it

12. DriftLexus

DriftLexus BDC Scrutineer

having an out of date passport is the same as travelling without one....its not valid

13. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

14. GB / John

GB / John NDC Runner Up 2012

If they is no chance of you getting a renewal or an emergency passport then take the chance that they dont spot it. Make sure you're in a decent queue and they might not check the date. ;)

15. wst

wst Member

If you just have to flash it, you're ok. If they take it out of your hands and look at it (they do this on arrivals in the UK) you're boned.

Might be quicker to find someone friendly with a PPL who can drop you off in a field in France and come collect you when you want to come back.

#15 wst, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  16. driftstarr

driftstarr Guest

I heard you can not travel to a destination other than your national country on an expired passport.

17. milez

milez Active Member

Lol he knows that. But would be bs able to get away with that

18. HeftyDanielson

Anywhere flying out of the uk needs a valid passport. I found this out trying to go to the Isle of Man tt this year.. :L

19. DollyKean

DollyKean Lonely Doraiba

You need a passport to come in France?, from our side it only requires a valid ID card, when I came in Uk I only need this since both countries are in EU area.

20. Username

Username Active Member

^^^We don't have ID cards here and opted out of the Schengen zone, if that's relevant
    TBH I wouldn't risk travelling on an expired passport - I went to Paris on the Eurostar earlier this year and both the French and British border people checked my passport thoroughly - airports would probably even more tight on security

#20 Username, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011