Mx5 diff change help

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Diccon, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Diccon

Diccon New Member

Hey,
    anyone got experience of changing the diff on an mx? Basically Im struggling to get the driveshafts off the hub. They are off the diff side but seem pretty seized onto the hub. Tried smacking them but won't budge. Andy ideas?

I'm pretty sure they are just splined shafts one you have the hub nut off... I'm not missing a trick am I?

Cheers
    diccon

2. Cowpatmatt

Cowpatmatt Active Member

you dont need to take the driveshafts off the hub side, just on the diff side then drop the diff out after undoing the diff mounting bolts.

3. gazwhittle

gazwhittle Member

yeh there pritty hard to take out. and when you try to get them back in the shafts pop there metal caps and bearings and oil pisses out everywhere.

easiest way to do it is to unbolt the sway bar bolts on the back and the top connecting arm bolt on the suspension and pull the hub towards you and the shaft will pop out.

and to get into the casing make sure you take off the side flanges by hitting them off before undoing the case.

if you need any advice give me a pm

easy.

4. Diccon

Diccon New Member

Cheers guys, managed to leave driveshafts in there in the end. Now ripping up roads with a 2-way :)

5. L-plates:)

L-plates:) Member

Lol, that was a fun job. Glad the flanges fit in the 2 way, or we would have wasted a good morning of inhaling diff fluid