bmw 2002 convertible

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by finchy, Oct 20, 2011.

1. finchy

finchy snapped hard!

right my dad got a 70's bmw 2002 converible targa in a while ago and said i could have it to play around with its in a pretty bad way as it stand now but is reletively solid considering its been sat in a barn

its now been sat 3 years down the back of the yard and iv decided to do something with it in my spare time while on leave

iv been trying to find out info on it and about parts so far i know that there was only 1960 made and the last one was made in '77

so anyone have any info anyone know a good place for parts and if any other bmw bits are the same (brakes steering ect) and are they valuble and worth full restoration the tii versions fetch 13k+ and the turbo 20k+ but i cant even find a convertible for sale

the main thing i may need is the hood it doesnt have one at all and the panel for the main roof part has no fabric left on it and is now rusty although it looks to be surface rust

any help will be welcome

2. bbcfc

bbcfc Member

there was a 2002 convertible for sale on PH a few mths back. mint condition and low milage.
    was a rare blue ish colour with low milage (sorry cant remember full details)
    was selling for £14k ish which i thought was cheap for what it was. otherwise seen them around the £19k / £20k mark.
    hth :)

3. finchy

finchy snapped hard!

well now i feel bad for leaving it down there lol. fuck i should probably go put a sheet over it :/

4. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

can't tell you anything about the car but if you need a new roof for it I very highly recomend these people

Jack Smith Trimmers of Swansea

Rear of 158 St. Helens Avenue
    Swansea
    SA1 4NQ

01792 461 022

they did me a brand new mohair soft top for my mx5 for £260 fitted and all other companys were quoting me £350-£450 for a vinyl one.

5. Papercutout

Papercutout Active Member

I've never seen a convertible 2002, so they must be pretty rare! Have fun getting parts, but it'll be worth it IMO! You'll certainly be able to make a profit on it if you sell it on, or alternatively, have an interesting rare car. (I like 2002's with M42 engines dropped in = much fun!)

6. finchy

finchy snapped hard!

Well from the looks of it the bits i need like boot bonnet doors all look the same as the hard top and dont look too hard to get seen some on ebay
    I have a hood the vinal is fucked but i have the frame so thanks for that number :)
    My other issue is when i do it do i restore it as a 100% origional or as was my plan before i found its true value do some subtle mods like take off the bumbers n clean the front n rear and all the chrome strips taken off retro bucketseats and decent wheels
    The engine in it is full of rust and water so i either need another the same or conversion to a later engine anyways

Any bmw guys know how interchangeable or easy to mod to fit later bmw parts are to these? Iv never owned a bmw before so i know nothing about them

7. Nismo

Nismo Hachiroku Master

For all BMW 2002 parts, the company to call is Jaymic Ltd.

8. finchy

finchy snapped hard!

Ahhh thanks bud got a number or website for them?

9. docwra

docwra Active Member

Is it factory or a Bauer conversion? Either way, thats got to be worth decent dollar, proper rare car. :nod:

10. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

restore it back to original as that is what the collectors will be after.

11. finchy

finchy snapped hard!

Umm not sure i thought all of them were conversions? I will get some pics up before i strip it back to a bare shell hopefully then someone will know more

12. MrNick

MrNick I love Ibiza!

dont think bauer did the 2002 ....cars worth big dollar ,they always remind me of when i borrowed one in Israel and got involved in a 'fail to stop chase' at a security check point .....i got away but i dumped the car and made away on foot they recovered the car and then came and arrested me ....2 days in a Israeli slammer all cos i wanted a drive of the boss's 2002

good luck with her

13. finchy

finchy snapped hard!

Im glad i got it for free now lol didnt think at first that it was worth more than a £300 max in perfect condition im gona go start on it now :)

14. finchy

finchy snapped hard!

[​IMG]

thats it, it looks terible at the moment but under all the surface rust its reasonably solid and i have a hard top at our other yard to rob for parts :)