*Premium* RWD SR20DET/95' Impreza L Build

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by pwerplentySR20, May 17, 2011.

1. mada2607

mada2607 Member

fantastic build

2. B.Martin

B.Martin Member

I looked but couldn't see it stated anywhere - Are you using Nissan running gear for this?

Good project either way, will try and keep an eye on it. Would like to see the finished product.

3. pwerplentySR20

If by running gear you mean rear differential...im using a 06 STi R180. There is a local guy here that makes lsd's and rack & pinion sets so i might have him make me something to work with it. I dont hear "running gear" a lot so im not sure what you mean. sorry

4. B.Martin

B.Martin Member

Sorry, yeah most people that do RWD impreza's use the drive train from a 200sx/similar. I was under the impression that the Impreza drive train wasn't so great at being converted to RWD? I'll admit though, i only have limited knowledge on the subject!

5. pwerplentySR20

well the car was originally AWD. I removed EVERYTHING from the front end that had anything to do with the FWD portion. I left everything in the rear because that was all I needed. It's not too complicated more like (process of elimination). The STi rear differential should be able to hold up to the power.

6. B.Martin

B.Martin Member

Oh okay, i just remember reading somewhere that the stock impreza drive train wasn't designed to take ALL the power to the rear wheels. I assume this was because people had come accross problems with it, i know the big drift cars (Team orange, Jap speed) are all running different drive systems to the stock Subaru one. Don't for a second think i'm criticising, but i advise you have a bit more of a search if your going to be running big SR20 power. It might turn out to be more cost effective and reliable to transfer accross S-body, gear box and drive train components.

:)

7. pwerplentySR20

no criticism taken sir. I have done tons of research on the rear end. The SR I'm building will only have 350whp. That is all I really want. The rear differential can handle that. The only thing that usually breaks are the axles. I will drive on the stock ones first and see how long they last, and worst come to worst I'll buy thedriveshaftshop axles for $600 which are rated at 600hp.

8. r30jew

r30jew Member

awesome project, i like :)

9. josiahs

josiahs New Member

Strong work bro! :)

10. Liam.

Liam. Active Member

top project man ! Nice to see somthing a little different every now and then .

11. pwerplentySR20

Update #4:
    This is where the car stands as of today (11/27/11)
    Today I went back over to my friends garage where my car currently is to do my part in finishing up on the transmission mount and getting the crossmember/mounts painted for their final installation. I also decided to take advantage of the time while the pieces were out of the car to feed you some more detailed pictures so you can see exactly what kind of skill/fabrication had to go into this project. Enjoy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow the crossmember/mounts will go back in the car and we will begin the making of the downpipe, mounting radiator, forming the intercooler piping.

#31 pwerplentySR20, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  12. LennyS13

LennyS13 New Member

great build , a mate of mine here in ireland has built one, its running r33 rear subframe diff, s14 hubs coilovers in the rear,

love the build wil be watching

13. pwerplentySR20

I only know of 1 other SR/GC and it was a blue 4dr that I think was also in Ireland. As far as the rear end goes...that was definitely an option I was going to do, but after some research I found out the STi R180 should be able to hold onto the power. I'm not going for high numbers; just in the 325-350whp range. If it doesnt hold up I'll change to the R200 from a S13.

14. LennyS13

LennyS13 New Member

i seen that on here thiink that was in sweden , his one 2door,

there is couple pics of it on facebook page is called cube-king, he opted for the nissan rear as it was fwd model lol

i shall post up so pics of the underneath

15. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

I was going to go the R180 route but decided it would be cheaper and stronger to fit the Nissan subframe and hubs. Once the arse of a job in getting the subframe itself to fit, I figured I can use all proven Nissan parts with no machining to fit one manufacturer's driveshaft into another's bearing, buying later Subaru hubs with 5X114.3 PCD etc.

Did your mate use S14 coilovers? On mine it seems an awful long way from the Subaru top mount to the Nissan mount at the bottom of the hub carrier.

16. pwerplentySR20

Yeah I'm still contemplating on doing the R200 diff from a S13, but I haven't found any good DIY write-ups on the necessary fabrication needed. I already have 06 STi Rear Brembos/hubs/spindles so I'd like to make those work if possible. I'd also need to find a company that can make custom axles at a decent price.

17. pwerplentySR20

*i want to apologize for the inconvenience, but from here on out i will be updating with (imageshack) which means the photos will be 640x480 thumbnails that will need to be clicked to view in bigger images. My photobucket account started acting funny on me...update #5 will hopefully be up late this week or early next week*

18. pwerplentySR20

Update #5:
    This is where the car stands as of today (1/11/12)
    Last night we got everything together and managed to get the FIRST START UP! The wiring worked flawlessly! We had some kinks such as a broken hose in the fuel pump, but it fired right up. The reason the video was cut short after start up is because there was a minor fuel problem that we are working on now. ENJOY!

#38 pwerplentySR20, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  19. dingdong

dingdong Member

loving the build impreza's are good cars adding a sr and drifting it makes it a epic car :p

20. pwerplentySR20

Thanks man its much appreciated