New MOT rules from January 2012

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by GETitSIDEways, Nov 30, 2011.

1. GETitSIDEways

GETitSIDEways Mutha Funka

A massive price hike on motoring is imminent. The Government is purposly making owning an older or modified car difficult.
    The reason being the MOT changes in january, for the record I think its a load of bollocks and if you were sat in that board room on that day that these stupid plans where agreed upon then YOU ARE A CLASS AAA++++ WANKER. :nod:

Here is a link with very little info:
    MOT Testing to meet tougher standards

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have loads of questions but I will only ask 1 as others will follow. Will someone in the know please answer

Where does it leave people that are running aftermarket engine managment?

Sorry for the wobbly..:cry:

2. milez

milez Active Member

Right im stick of these threads now.

For a start search. There has been loads of threads about this

Surely everyone on this forum knows a garage that are "friendly" when it comes to mot. Do you think if you slip them another tenner they are going to fail on what ever stupid new laws are coming in. I fucking doubt it

3. GETitSIDEways

For a start, dont read it then.:mad: Find me the thread what answers my question with a credible answer from a credible person.
    And bent MOT's are getting harder to obtain because the penalties are incredibly harsh. Fuck sake its a forum so put your sheriff's badge away.:nod:

And this thread acts as a kind reminder to people that have heard about it ages ago and thought it was bullshit, like me.

4. MCMLXXXV

MCMLXXXV Member

also says the test intervals will be every 2 years, rather than annually.

good news to me

5. jonofd3

jonofd3 Active Member

but it also leaves people wide open to be ripped off by garages.... it would be very easy for a garage to say.. Oh your stability controle system is faulty and needs replacing!! how the fuck will joe soap who toddles around at 55-60 know if it's working or not?? and I can guarantee it isn't going to be a £3 part to repair that!!

Jono

6. MCMLXXXV

MCMLXXXV Member

if stability control isnt working then I doubt the garage will sort it, most of these problems are looked at by dealerships.

7. LTM

LTM Member

Just read it. Not worried.

Only warning light I have tells me if I left the door open. Works fine, so Check.:thumbs:
    No airbags -Check.:thumbs:
    Tyre pressures are all fine @28/35 lol. -McCheck.:wack:
    Power steering all fine lock to lock -Checkuuu.:thumbs:
    ABS removed -Check-a-tron.:thumbs:
    electronic stability wut?.......er, wtf is that?? erm......Check:nod:
    Headlights are shit so no problem with dazzling people. –Check.:thumbs:

Also went through last ticket with a welder, fly off handbrake and fuck all ground clearance so no worries really and that was at a good garage that regularly services Aston’s and Porsches etc...

Have I missed the worst bit?

8. Polo

Polo Sr20 parts man!

Its bollox, just some new rules to the MOT, only one which will cost people money really and be a pain is the engine and airbag lights.

9. zornyan

zornyan Guest

So all the fuckers in range rovers that blind me will be stopped? Good

I have no ps,ac,abs,tc since its an mx5 so no change there, airbag lights were a failure anyway.

To me these new rules simply mean retards driving round blinding people, with flat tyres and their engine telling them there's something wrong will finally have to pay attention and sort it. Good if anything!

10. Lucasdemoley

Lucasdemoley Member

How do they test the stability controle, assume they don't chuck the cars hard into a roundabout to find out?!!

As per airbag light, I thought that was compulsary anyway?

11. Polo

Polo Sr20 parts man!

Only warning light that has been part of MOT has been Main beam, Hazard, rear fog, hand brake and ABS.

From Jan they all will be! stability controle has warning lights just like ABS, if its on it will fail! Thats all, not actual test, if the light is not on when engine running that system is working! stability controle known as differant things from make to make ASC/DSC/ESP etc etc etc. 9 times out of ten ABS light is at the same time as its normally a wheel speed sensor causing the fault.

12. Polo

Polo Sr20 parts man!

The 4 years to 1st test and then every 2 years after that wont come in until 2015.

Also other things that are defo being tested/will fail next year that arnt now:
    Worn door hinge pins
    CAT missing even if it passes emissions test
    after market HID's unless the car has self leveling or head light washers
    13pin trailer plugs will now be tested
    If the light eluminating your speedo does not work its going to be a fail Yet the speedo dont get tested
    Ball joint gators will now fail if they are cracked. used to be an advise

thats all i can remember now.

13. Drift Mekanik

Drift Mekanik Member

Still no problem for me... :smash:

14. big fat nick

big fat nick smells

So polo you seem to know, my abs doesn't work, i'm fine with it. If i pull the bulb out of the dash, nobody is the wiser. All is good?

15. DtheBUK

DtheBUK Active Member

abs lights are suposed to come on with the engine and then turn off after a few seconds. Ive failed because of this. As a result i made a circuit that just turned the light on for a fwe seconds with the engine

16. kingj

kingj sliding it in

If hid headlights are banned Im all for it:) they should be fucking illegal imo,they blind the person in front, the range rovers and merc 4x4 are even worse as they sit right in your line of site.

My last get out the car rant at a roundabout was with a merc 4x4 driver who was so far up my arse with his hids on the reflection in my mirror literally blinded me like looking at a welder:mad:............and breathe:wack:

17. GETitSIDEways

Good info, thanks. This was the sort of stuff that I wanted to know. No plugging into ECU's to find stored codes yet?

So if the bulb was to fall out of the dash then no probs as there is no function test, phew.
    My daily atm is an e46 M3 and I do have an issue with it throwing up the DSC fault light which is forcing it into limp mode this only happens when I have not used it for a few weeks or so, of course this will eventually cost a fortune as its main dealer only. But it will be worth sorting before the MOT next year.

18. GETitSIDEways

HAHAHA you sneak. I love it, get them knocked up and for sale.:nod:

19. Tiz

Tiz Member

hook it up to your battery light ;) that way as soon as alternator starts turning it goes out. Seen a sierra through a test like that many a time!

20. Skifledanabit

Skifledanabit Member

I've got aftermarket HIDs, but I also have headlamp washers... just not self levelling, but, I made sure the lights were properly aligned by an MOT tester... where do I stand?