R32's? best model/setup..

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Tailslider, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Tailslider

Tailslider Member

basically selling up most of my cars and im either going to get a s14/13 or an r32, becuase im now able to insure them all cheaply as I just found out :D im sort of more tempted by an r32 but Im a complete noob on them and im wondering the best setup? for instance is it better to go with a GTST or a GTR and rwd convert it etc? any help would be mmuuucchh appreciated! I tried searching but couldnt find anything on the subject...

Thanks!

2. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

GTST is all you need. GTR's are a bit more money to make into a drift car.

3. GethinD

GethinD [][][][][][][][][][]

As Bolf said, GTS-T is what you want. No point in getting GTR and converting it.

4. Tailslider

Tailslider Member

ah right! erm well iv just got off the phone to my insurance company (adrian flux) and they have turned around and said a GTs-T is going to be £8500 a year to insure :O where as a GTR is coming in at £2000... iv read up online that if you take the 4wd fuse out of the fusebox on the GTR it runs in rwd mode? do they come stock with lsd's in the rear? and if I were to run it like this would there be any potential problems downt the line and is there any disadvantages of a GTR over a GTS-T? Thanks for the help!

5. R32 GTR

R32 GTR Active Member

i wouldnt run a GTR as a drift car. Why would you want to ruin a great car as you'll no doubt bash it up. Speak to some other insurance companies as well, bound to be better quotes out there. The GTS is tailor made for drifting.

6. ash1987

ash1987 Active Member

wow im going to ring up fluxes an see what they quote me on a gtr now as im paying £1150 a year on mine, there are issues with the gtr other than being 4wd, there are lock issues due to the front drive shafts and the engine subframe is different to other r32's so its not as easy to drop in an rb20-25 if you wanted too.

7. Tailslider

Tailslider Member

hmmm the insurance definitely seems to be miles cheaper for a GTR for me :S iv just checked a few comparison sites, so if I were to cut out the driveshafts of the GTR would that mean I can eradicate the lock problem? and I dont think id be changing the engine in a hurry, is there any reason why you would want to change the engine in the GTR? am I right in thinking it has a RB26? what are the power limitations on the GTR's standard engine and are there any known weak points? also as mentioned above "the GTST is tailored for drifting" could you explain that a bit more? like in what ways it is? Thanks!

#7 Tailslider, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  8. R32 GTR

R32 GTR Active Member

standard power is said to be about 267 but mine was running 325 with just an exhaust and filters. Now running 375 again with very little mods. Thats more than enough to get it sideways in 4wd mode.

You'll suffer from oil starvation issues so will need a baffled sump. Dont forget if you get a GTR you'll be lumped with GTR tax on every part that you buy.

9. infest

infest Member

my gtst used to cost me 400 a year on clasic insurance and gtr was a little more.