if you had £50k spare cash what would you invest in?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Nickson-Msport, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Aaronn

Aaronn Member

A property in need of alot of time and work for a good price.
    I would refurbish the whole house re wire it to the 17th edition sign it off sell it on for a profit.
    then progress onto a larger house and so on until i can afford another property to turn communal and start profiting of it and still have another property to sell.
    Would most definitely be over 50k a little lol but it would be gradual and return if im smart.

2. Hakan

Hakan Member

there nothing better to do than ^ what he said with £50k

3. Haynesey

Haynesey Active Member

Property always.......even if it's a second one and you are renting it out......look at it in terms of a more secure pension that is guna grow in value over the years!

Although think how many coke fuelled hookers you could get for that :p

4. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

so how do you actually go about buying shares?

5. Nismo

Nismo Hachiroku Master

Use your online bank.

Some shares are isable, so make sure you utilise your isa allowance. This way, you can avoid capital gains tax.

6. MrLuke

MrLuke #172

Buy to let. The rent will cover your mortgage repayments plus a bit of profit. House prices will likely rise above inflation for the next few years whereas interest rates are about 1%

7. mcxxvi

mcxxvi i take pictures

Property, buy a shit hole, do it up, sell it on/rent it out, get paper.
    People who said franchise don't realise that you'll need a property that is suitable for your franchise, then to hire people who are trained to run those kind of environments ie. managers, top levels etc. and then money to buy stock. And if you have none of the above, then £50k really isn't going to get you anywhere to be fucking honest!

8. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

I'd buy the biggest rock of crack ever seen and smoke it.

Or put it to owning a house.

9. bessell

bessell Member

You do know that after 24 months of leasing your property out you will have to start paying capital gains tax :-(

10. lam

lam Member

Where the hell are all these properties that you can buy on a buy to let mortgage with a 50k deposit?! And there was the chap who said that he'd buy 2 city centre flats with that?

50k is a 20% deposit on a run of the mill 1 bedroom flat in a desirable area in london, or a 2 bedroom part in a normal part of london (or a studio in Chelsea...if it will even cover that!) And then you have to worry about maintenaince, void periods, finding a tenant, letting agent fees etc...(I am in the business, so its a right ballache)

I would stick it into my current property and make the mortgage term shorter.

11. R32 GTR

R32 GTR Active Member

50k will not get you a buy to let property in central london. Average price of a flat in central london and most of its surrounding areas is circa £250k. But-to-let requires a minimum of 30% deposit and even then you'll eventually pay capital gains tax.

Stocks and shares are great if you know what you are doing, you need to research the company that you're buying. 'Safe' stocks will be the regular divendend payers. The issues with stocks and shares is the current unrest in the rest of the world. Every incident has a knock on effect.

Land will never be cheap.

Gold will continue to rise but if you dont sell at the right time you'll lose a lot of money very quickly.

A decent money making franchise will cost in excess of £150k

Personally i would invest in multiple student houses. They are cheap to buy, maintain and its guaranteed income with the number of students fighting for limited places every year.

Every investment will have drawbacks and do you look at short term or long term gain.

12. Karan

Karan Active Member

Buy silver and gold now

Bullionvault.com

13. counteract

counteract -o=me

Premium bonds seems a good idea, the more you put in, the more chance you have of winning I think is how it works?

If I was just given 50k, I would indefinitely try and find a one or two bed flat near to me, pay off as much as I could and get it owned as soon as possible. Or, my Dad paid off his mortgage a couple of years ago but his place is kinda old, I'd give the money to him to make the house a lot nicer, with just that as a budget. Sort the damp issues, new kitchen, new carpets, just a general tidy up.

With franchises, esp. fast food ones, you might be able to start a mcdonalds for 30k or so, but then you get hardly any of the profit back, and you have no say over what you can do. Even if you were the manager you would have direct orders and instructions from subway, kfc, mcd's or whoever it was. It would suck dick. You could be like 40 and be earning pretty much fuck all. You would be better off trying to start your own small business that did the same thing, 50k would probably be plenty of money to go to the bank and get a business loan etc. but you would have no chance of surviving in a big city, very unlikely, best off out in the sticks.

Where I live, the village has around 8-10k people iirc, it's not massive but the biggest place for 10-15 miles. A local supermarket has just had a makeover with a subway and they are making a killing because of the school kids on lunch break. Thing about that is the supermarket is privately owned and the owner has a lot of money, so not really fussed about what he gets back from the investment straight away. Thing is it's killing smaller businesses, they're closing down all the time.

14. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

I don't get it.

I registered an account, they gave me some free gold. I sold the gold for £32. Now I'm withdrawing my £32. Thats free money.....How are they making anything?

15. Flipfoot

Flipfoot 三日坊主

Buy 10 acres of land, £10,500.
    Get paddys in to tarmac 10acres £10,000.
    Spend rest on public insurance.
    Rent land out for skid days.
    Start saving revenue to make a track layout.
    After some years, be proud owner of purpose built drift track and live well.

16. MrLuke

MrLuke #172

Why does property have to be in central London? You can get houses for sub 200k up here and flats / apartments for less. Buy to let properties are selling off plan atm...very popular...

17. mik_m666

mik_m666 Member

Thanks for that... I'm just doing the same...

18. Gogzy

Gogzy Active Member

buy some cheap smack then bump it on for a profit....easy money

(note the sarcasm)

i dunno what id invest in probably waste it all away on something

19. Karan

Karan Active Member

There's a withdrawal fee of about £30 lol as well as selling and buying commissions. Silver and gold recently dropped a fair bit but most expect them to rise steadily in 2012. Good time to buy.

20. oscar-silvia

oscar-silvia Member

buy a crack den and bitches.