Schumacher SST2000 '98' Revival!

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Polo, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Polo

Polo Sr20 parts man!

Waaaaaaaay back in the years of 1998 to 2001ish, i used to grip race 1/10th RC cars, was quite competitive and done prety well TBH! The club i used to race for stopped, and the car go made redundant as i relied on perants to transport me and my car about! So its been sitting in the loft ever since!

Ok, its not any thing special these days, but back then it was prety far up there, its not got any of these brushless motors or Lipo batteries, but it still goes some!

I doug it out of the loft about a week ago or so, to see condition and if itd be worth trying drifting with it! I also contacted my two old mates i used to race with who had the same chassis, to see if they still had them and wanted to part with them! A small exchange of cash later i have 3 sst2000's!

Here is mine as i found it in the loft after abour 10-12 years storage!
    [​IMG]

All 3 SST's
    [​IMG]

All 3 cars rear diffs wer in a prety bad state, and also discontinued, so i had to imprevise and repare the rear diffs, i now have 3 that will work!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then went to work and totally rebuilt the best out of the 3 chassis, using the best parts from the 3, lots of bent and braken parts replaces!!! Also all the bearings also seam a little roapy so iv ordered a full set of bearings new for less than £40 delivered. This is what the best of the 3 looks like....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of coure then it was time for a new, more drift/JDM body, couldnt find much at the shop i used to use, appart from this Lexus 430. Say hello to the mini Luxo barge!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Green flake
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Backed with black
    [​IMG]

Fitted with some black lower offset rims on studded carped tyres
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Polo

Polo Sr20 parts man!

Ok its not as flash as some of the others on here with light clusters, etc, but im happy with it!! lol

[​IMG]

also went grip racing tonight for the 1st time in 12 years!! Managed to get a 2nd in my 1st race and a 1st in my second!!
    Slicks with tyre softener in this pic, not drift rims
    [​IMG]

3. Rovers

Rovers Member

Awesome paint on it.. Ive got a old one too, But its a losi.

4. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

Guess you've not lost your touch then, fair play. (Unless it was just you against your mate :wack: )

5. Dunkz

Dunkz Garage LSD

Awesome, you've even still got the original 406 box! I used to race an sst back at the same time as you. I dug it out last week to see if I could turn it into a drift car but the front right hub is broken, I had a quick google but never found a replacement. You don't have a spare your willing to part with? :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Polo

Polo Sr20 parts man!

Hi mate, think the still available new, try Schumacher Northampton. I can give you the part number later as I still have a manual with list of part numbers. I do have a fair few spare if your still strugling, I'd have thoght a pair new would be less than £10.

7. mk2kompressor

mk2kompressor Member

Want :(
    I've got spare hubs if you get stuck

8. mitto

mitto -NIGHTSPIRT FAMILY-

Polo, ^^^ this is your SST man! Only up the road too. Where did you go racing? wouldn't mind coming for a look!

9. vtec mini clubman

Dam polo thats looks epic

just needs the vip rims to make it

10. Polo

Polo Sr20 parts man!

It was in Aylesbury about 5min walk from my house! Been running for years and never knew about it! Every Friday.

Regards to selling one of them, iv had to use so many parts from all three now that il need alot of parts to make a second.

Got some drift rubber today and gave it a go for the 1st time! Prety cool, going to take some getting used to, having a good brake and quick steering makes a huge differance!

11. Andy_F

Andy_F S13+S15=S28?

I bet the modern day boys were pretty shocked to see you beat them with a brushed motor and non-lipo batteries! Haha.

12. mitto

I'll have to come along man, although i suck at racing haha. mines too fast for me on rubber tyres!

13. Polo

Polo Sr20 parts man!

Andy I started in the bottom class so it was with newbs who kept crashing, the cars wer much faster than mine but I just hooned around avoiding them and done well lol.

Mitto, a brushless lipo is way to fast to learn racing with, youl end up smashing it up! I'm going to get used to this again, make sure I can string together a hole race with out any crashes or cock ups before I think of upgrading.

14. mk2kompressor

mk2kompressor Member

Wouldn't mind popping up aylesbury with my racer, never been there.
    I'd want all of it ;)

15. mitto

Honestly man, on thursday i'll bung the rubber tyres on for a laugh... it's idiotically fast, especially with turbo and boost turned up :D haha

16. Polo

Polo Sr20 parts man!

Cool, il have to have a go at gripping it Friday lol

Iv totally rebuilt this over the weekend with new bearings all round, new diffs and belts.

Also got 4 wheel alignment gear so we can get yours handling mint on Friday lol

17. Ghartman581

Ghartman581 New Member

Question about your SST2000

[​IMG]

Hi,
    I have a question about the front and rear hex wheel drives on your SST2000. I have the same car and the silver hex wheel drives that the rims connect to (U1886) are discontinued. Are the rear purple hex wheel drives you are using the same design or are they from a newer kit? I am asking because I am considering buying the axles and steel blades from a newer kit so that I don't have to use the discontinued silver hex wheel hubs. Doesn't seem to make sense that Schumacher started using the non-adjustable hex wheel drives only for the 2000 kit but went back to adjustable for the. Mi1.

Thanks,
    Garrett