Anyone used/know about bankrupt bike frames??

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by FERGUL, Feb 13, 2012.

1. FERGUL

FERGUL Member

Thought I'd build myself a custom trial bike for my commute to work and to get fit. Has anyone had any kind of experience with them?

Also any hints and tips on bike building please feel free :)

2. lewyS14a

lewyS14a Active Member

You don't want a trial bike for commuting if its of any distance if that helps ? :)

3. FERGUL

FERGUL Member

It's roughly 6miles 50% up and 50% down hill or I can cut through some fields which is mostly flat with some tidy jumps thats the route I'm thinking of doing so need something relatively fun to ride.

4. Ginger_ninja

Ginger_ninja Member

I know of a few friends that snapped the welds on 3 frames around the bottom bracket. They were all hardtail frames though

5. FERGUL

FERGUL Member

I'll have a gander on there thanks :)

Hmm I'm after a hardtail tbh not a fan of soft tail it's like riding a seesaw

6. Disco

Disco Hamburger Hinderer

Did you actually mean trial or trail? Trials is a very low ratio single speed bike, normally full rigid and not an awful lot of good for riding any kind of distance.

If you meant trail bike, like something that can be ridden cross-country and as a commuter then you'll want either front or full suspension, 26" wheels, fairly slim tyres and a comfy seat.

I'm currently building a DH bike, have ridden Downhill for years but having just moved to London I'm not sure it will be getting much use lol!

Pinkbike will help for secondhand buys and product reviews but the UK forum is slow as hell!

7. djdobson

djdobson Member

There is nothing wrong with hardtails. Go on chainreationcycles.com and have a look through their frames. They got some on there for about 100 and they are good quality. I recomend spending money on a slightly better frame as cheap ones snap under trail pressures

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

8. FERGUL

FERGUL Member

Sorry trail is what I meant

but I would like a trials.

9. FERGUL

FERGUL Member

Yeah like I say I prefer to have a hardtail anyway, I've looked on chainreactioncycles.com thinking of going with the 20" brand-x xc hardtail 7000 should do.

I'll see what else they have being 6' 2" and neigh on 20stone it needs to be sturdy :D

10. PhillE30

PhillE30 Member

Are you riding on road only? Or is it something to ride to work on but use off roading on the weekend?

Imo full ridged if your commuting, doesnt need to be anything roadie but suspension on road is utterly pointless.

I would look at something like a, Cannondale Badboy or similar, depends on your budget and what you want out of it?
    If your offroading any decent hardtail will do you, cannondales, specialized etc

Are you building a bike from frame up?

I wouldnt be afraid to look second hand, you can get some really good frames if you look about for not much money

#10 PhillE30, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  11. FERGUL

FERGUL Member

It's going to be a commuter and a weekend toy.

I will be building it from scratch :)

12. FERGUL

FERGUL Member

Just re read your post phill, my budget is around £200-£300, the main thing i want is to get to work and back but want to be able to mooch about off road at the weekend and get to grips with trailing again.

#12 FERGUL, Feb 13, 2012
  13. PhillE30

PhillE30 Member

ah ok cool.
    £200-300 for just frame?

14. FERGUL

FERGUL Member

Unfortunately bud it's the whole bike one reason I'm building it.

15. PhillE30

PhillE30 Member

Ah ok, those frames are good,
    personally id look second hand for a whole bike, Iv built lots of bikes for people, who chose their own frames etc, for the price you cant beat a whole bike.

I know its second hand and £50 over budget, but still great nick and a great bike, a really good base and will take whatever you throw at it,

Cannondale Sl3 | eBay

not bad reviews either https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz....,cf.osb&fp=991c8d6badbd6119&biw=1360&bih=667

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/categ...duct/review-cannondale-trail-sl-3-11-us-40057

I dont think you would get anywhere near that sort of thing self building (especially if all the parts are new), unless you did some real hard searching for bargains 2nd hand

#15 PhillE30, Feb 13, 2012
  16. FERGUL

FERGUL Member

Looks like a tidy bike that yeah I'll have to hold out till at least a month and do some searching.

Its that or get the tank Raleigh out of the shed thats possibly thee worst bike I've ever rode

17. pipcarder

pipcarder Member

try looking hear
    Login - SouthernDownhill.com Forum
    (although you will probably have to register)

if you can find a santa cruz chameleon in your price range you wont go far wrong, really is a good bike :thumbs:

#17 pipcarder, Feb 13, 2012
  18. djdobson

djdobson Member

Or get a second hand specialized hardrock/rockhopper fantastic bikes that are well kitted and if you get it with the origional reciept they have a lifetime frame warrenty :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

19. FERGUL

FERGUL Member

I'll have a look on that site cheers bud.

I'll be looking at all suggestions so keep them coming please guys :)