MX-5 Cheap Drift Hack/Daily - Good Choice?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Lex., Sep 16, 2011.

1. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

If you're serious about doing some drifting, get one, weld the diff, chuck a seat in it, go for gold.

2. Drift200sxs13

Drift200sxs13 Member

Sounds like a plan mate!!

3. Flump

Flump Member

Go for it, and dont discount the mk2's, i picked up a 1.6 that had failed its mot on a bit of welding, £500, cant scoff at that can ya, gonna cost me about £85 to get it through its test, happy days.

4. Drift200sxs13

Drift200sxs13 Member

That's my thinkin! Get a really cheap one with a bit of welding to do n minor repairs.

Also want somet cheap so I'm not bothered when it comes to fixing it, something to learn on. Will just do it myself until I get stuck haha!!

5. clarkey1984

clarkey1984 New Member

Im sure i replied to this thread, oh well.

I have my old MX5 still sitting here, it already has a welded diff, i was gonna flog it on, but i might justy keep it and have some fun, gotta start somewhere eh, plus norfolk arena is barely an hour from me :)

6. rich1988

rich1988 Member

when my s14a eventually goes bang in a way to expensive to fix I Will be getting a mk1 mx5, cheap to run and a lot of fun for your money :)

7. lew_boi

lew_boi Member

Got a mk1 1.8 with welder and raceland coilovers, awsome in the wet !! Takes abit more speed and a good clutch kick in dry but does the job fine : ) Can be mega snappy but its all part of the fun drifting a low bhp car ! Got mates with bmw, 200sx and turbo mx5 n have just as much fun in this !!

8. theonemanyuri

theonemanyuri Member

Collecting mine tomorrow, canne wait! mk1 1.6 eunos (if anyone's interested they're 115bhp as opposed to the 90bhp of the equivalent mx5). I've also noticed that in the last month since we've had some sunny weather, a car that would of cost £1000 in January is now £1500 so you're better off waiting til winter if you're looking for a half tidy one. I shouldn't have thought the price of sh1tters would be much affected by the seasons

9. titchster

titchster Member

Early UK cars are 115bhp too. :)

10. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Awesome little cars, mines been utterly reliable, my s13 used to break left right n centre, this has.been to about 5 full drift days, 5k road miles and all ive done is general servicing and a lambda.

I also think that using a low powered snappy car has taught me loads, the s13 drifted itself, the mx5 needs to be worked hard to drift well. Learnt more about weight shifting etc. Hopefully meaning when I get back into my ps13 later this year I should have learnt alot.

11. lew_boi

lew_boi Member

What he said:thumbs:

12. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Stock 1.6 engine MXgays are perfectly good at stuff cars with 3 times the power are perfectly good at too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Mr jake

Mr jake Member

I think im gonna be selling mine soon :) pm me if your interested in spec list.

14. DW_Gaz

DW_Gaz Member

I'll be looking at buying one of these in the next couple of weeks as my first skidder, 1.8 eunos more than likely, they're cheap as chips! Would you guys recommend trying to get one with the hard top included?

Also, from what I've heard, you can pickup a bolt on turbo kit for a couple hundred quid?

15. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Hard tops make no difference, and turbo conversions are deffo not needed, and deffo not a couple hundred quid either.

16. DW_Gaz

DW_Gaz Member

Sounds good Stavros, I'm thinking a roll bar might come in handy too. Is it easy enough to increase the lock on these? would i be able to get the diff welded locally, and would i benefit from changing the diff ratio?

17. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Yes, but dont bother, just go drifting.
    Yes.
    No, dont bother, just go drifting.

18. keener

keener Member

I have a mk1 mx5 1.6 import, has an LSD , not sure what kind, but does got sideways well in dry and wet probs could do with a welder tho :/

19. Flump

Flump Member

Get it welded asap lad, cooked the vlsd in mine in one day at pod, it now wont lock at all, might as well be an open diff lol

20. Lex.

Lex. Member

Wow this threads still here? I ended up with an e36 323 that's gettin a welder this week then were off to pod asap.