drift racing? wtf?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Piercy, Mar 11, 2012.

1. the stig

the stig Active Member

er not so!
    an overtake dose NOT = win!!

2. TheUrbanTiger

TheUrbanTiger Nickbradydrift.com

I dont like the term as its not racing is it? Its a competition and it doesnt matter who crosses the line 1st. Ok speed has a bearing on marks but its not the only factor, therefore its not racing. Best comparison I can think of is Motocross / freestyle motocross. Motocross is racing, the fastest guy wins the race. Freestyle motocross is not a race it is judged..... speed and agression have a bearing on marks but its not the definitive factor, much the same as drifting.

3. dancin_with_a_cow

With a "Race" being defined as a contest of speed and given that the fastest way between two points is a straight line... drifting scrubs off speed then, "drifting" is actually a contradiction to the term "Race"

4. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Your all just being pernickety now...

Stig, most overtakes occure because one driver is considerably better and faster than the other, therefore in most cases winning.

Dancin dude, the aim is still to get from a to b as quick as possible, and yes all the other factors of judged drifting.
    Think of it like this, if 2 dudes we twinning and both had same style, smoke, angle, etc but one was clearly faster, then he'd win.

I don't much like the term either, but as it says on first, it serves a purpose...

5. Struggle

Struggle Active Member

who really cares? those who call it driftracing clearly have no idea what the sport is. are you telling me every time someone asks you about drifting you go on a long rant. most people don't care what your talking about and you just sound like nerds.

nowadays when i'm even asked if i drift my car i tell people i've just bought it, don't really like it and probably going to sell it. i just CBA explaining to every other person who comes along. it doesn't bother me that they all think i'm some clown who skids around trolleys in tesco but class myself as some wild pro. just leave em to it. your all far too bothered what people think.

6. Piercy

Piercy Skid Skid Skid.

Actually, when I created the thread I had just been on a reasonably well known companies website which had it all over it :). I think its more an americanism that we are gaining.

7. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

See my previous post:

8. docwra

docwra Active Member

Weve already discussed the fact that most of the world calls it drift racing, and as for the other two, weirdly enough I dont go round telling people Im a drifter so they dont really ask. I dont actually understand what the last sentence means at all.

Its the same as calling tea char, rosie lee or a brew, it still a cup of tea.

9. dancin_with_a_cow

Are you including Earl Grey or Green Tea in that? lol

10. Struggle

Struggle Active Member

generally people asociate S14's with drifting. so when inevitably i get asked i try my hardest to look like i have no idea what i'm on about so i don't get pestered. and when people in work, for exhample, ask about drifting they seem to assume drifting is skidding round trolleys in car parks.

11. Asthenia

Asthenia Member

The problem I think I have with the word is because of Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift.
    Immediately in my head I think someone is thinking "yeahhhhh right" then judge on you based on the film lol

12. Maxdrift

Maxdrift Member

I hate the word drifting. Im with struggle, when people ask do you drift cars im like no whats that. I drive the car the way I like it, Sideways, put a name onit I dont really care. drift racing is drift racing stop getting on a hype about it and do what you do best.

13. Struggle

Struggle Active Member

at the end of the day people who are worth talking to about the sport in this country won't use that term so whats the drama?

other countries may use the term, so what? they call motorways 'highways' and trousers 'pants'. its just use of english. i doubt anyone who actually drifts who uses the term 'driftracing' does anything different to us and anyone who doesn't drift and uses the term.......well who cares really? you wasting your breath explaining shit too them and why does it even matter? when people say 'tokyo drift' or 'drifter' it just makes me laugh. yeh they see it as a joke sport but i guarentee if you took them out for a 'tokyo drift' they'd shit themselves. i'm content knowing that without having to waste my breath explaining. just play along with it and give blunt answeres, they give up soon.

14. Blackadder

Blackadder Rawr!

Your not racing. Your competing. Therefore its a Drift Competition.

15. docwra

docwra Active Member

Actually, you arent drifting either, the verb to drift means either to be carried by water, to move unhurriedly, leisurely or sporadically or to be piled up in banks or heaps (actually that last one is pretty accurate) :D

So from now on I shall be calling it "increasing and maintaining entrance angle of a motorised vehicle throughout an individual or series of corners or bends".

Seriously guys, dont you think this is a bit sad? Arguing over what it is called and pretending you dont drift even though you do?

16. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Considering 90% of people here do exactly the opposite, thats quite a refreshing change, lol

17. Piercy

Piercy Skid Skid Skid.

lol! :D

18. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

19. Struggle

Struggle Active Member

i think your missing my point. my point is why are we even bothered about a term used to reffer to cars doing skids? to the point where a thread is started on Driftworks about it. i was more using the 'pretending not to drift' as an exhample of how bothered i am.

20. docwra

docwra Active Member

Yep, clearly dont give a shit.