Anyone know where to get cheap tyres for drifting??

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Crossy, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Crossy

Crossy Member

Hi
    I am looking to get cheap tyres for drifting partworn would be ok but preferably new...
    Anyone know any good spots?
    Also would I be better using a good tyre or would a cheap one do the same job?

Thanks

2. lozza

lozza ChickFoot FTW!

What car do you have and are you a beginner? Those are the first questions that spring to mind.

I've always used part worns and only now that im looking to compete am i considering buying new tyres.

New tyre prices aren't good at the moment though, you could try online stores like Black Circles etc

3. Crossy

Crossy Member

I am a beginner to it. I have an s14a turbo. How long to part worn tyres last though? would it be good enough?
    I was thinking of buying new cheap tyres but they arent great either.??

4. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

Use ebay , blackcircles , mytyres(keep an eye on the offers) , camskill (again , special offers) , google them.

Key to making tyres last longer is temperature , as soon as they reach a certain temp , they will begin to fall apart real quick.

You don't loose cool points for doing a lap not drifting to let your tyres cool down on a practice day , or if your trying to perfect one particular corner , just don't drift the ones you don't need too.

Some practice days have a pool of water to drive thru to cool tyres also.

Oh and avoid continentals for drifting , they fall apart.
    :D

5. docwra

docwra Active Member

Long enough dude. Just go down to your local tyre place and ask if you can relieve them of some of their dead tyres, it saves them money you taking them away as well.
    IF they say no then just go back when its dark and help yourself anyway :D

6. lozza

lozza ChickFoot FTW!

Personally if you're a beginner i'd use part worns :) it'll be cheaper for you in the learning stages and probably easier as well!

When you can link up a track, start thinking about new tyres if you can afford it for more grip and consistent feel :)

7. Liam.

Liam. Active Member

If you are smart about it you can get them to pay you to take them away . I took 20 the other day and charged them a tenner . Everyone is a winner

8. garyd

garyd Member

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

9. Mashead

Mashead Member

THAT is pure win

10. TheUrbanTiger

TheUrbanTiger Nickbradydrift.com

Yeah just go down your local tyre place and ask them if you can take the scrap, they'll be happy to give them to you as they have to pay to get rid anyway!

11. Crossy

Crossy Member

Cheers guys really helpful.
    I'll be waiting to talk to the local tyre man first thing tomorrow haha :)

12. CSMDESIGN

CSMDESIGN Member

This is good advice, tyre shops have to pay £5.00 per tyre to scrap them so if you offer to take them off there hands your doing them a favour :)

13. Flump

Flump Member

I get mine from the local scrappy, i even get to swap my shreddies with 'new' ones from the pile for free as im not increasing there disposal costs :D

14. Munkul

Munkul Active Member

tyre places. Free. With less than 300bhp you get a good few hard laps out of them before they down to the wire!!!

And because I am on such good terms with my tyre place - taking some away etc - I get great rates for normal tyre changing and balancing, even get better discounts on new tyres.

15. Wilk0

Wilk0 Member

Five quid? For a full set maybe!

16. Liam.

Liam. Active Member

More like £1.50 a tyre . Lots of them go to north Africa in containers as they have no laws as such regarding tread depth .

17. yahoo888

yahoo888 New Member

yeah agreed, local tyre places, even try main dealers as the guys at the desks there don't usually give a f'ck about what happens to the scrap

18. Dannyc6

Dannyc6 Member

definately go for partworns starting off, burning off new tyres is always upsetting

19. mint

mint touch my fruit

Sounds odd but iv been using winter tyres. I can go a whole day with one set and there still fine to drive home on.. :) No power + Small wheels = cheap skids.

20. walrus1968

walrus1968 New Member

Im sure if you check in your local area there will be a part worn tyre center...they are springing up all over where i live..tyres from my local supplier have generally been of good quality and good makes as well. yell dot com and google are your friends