Looking for a junior place in a team

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Ridders92, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Ridders92

Ridders92 Member

Hi Everyone :wave:

My name is Daniel Ridgley I am 19 years old from High Wycombe.

I am currently studying my Level 3 Race Technician course at the National College for Motorsport based at Silverstone Circuit.
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]
    As part of my course I have to be able to secure some track side experience with some form of motor racing [/FONT]
    If you would like to know anymore about the course here is a link to the college websitehttp://www.tresham.ac.uk/nc4m/courses

I have had past experience working on race cars starting off at Eclipse Motorsport who ran a Mosler MT900R in the Britcar Championship, I was able to work with them for three races and also the Britcar 24 hour event that takes place a Silverstone. I then moved on to work for a Porsche Carrera Cup team called Rees Sport. I have had experience Scorpio Motorsport who run two cars in the Formula Renault BARC Championship. I have also just finished doing some work for Scuderia Vittoria helping with the Clio Cup cars and also rebuilding a Ferrari 458 GT3.

Motorsport is my passion and I can't see me working in any other industry.

If you would be able to offer me anything or know of anyone that might be able to offer me something no matter how small even if it's just changing and washing wheels I would be greatly appreciative.

You can contact me on 07875049480.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

2. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

Have you ever heard of SpeedChills?

They're based in High Wycombe and probably have more contacts in the motorsport industry than you can shake a stick at. I'd give them a call and see if they can point you in the right direction.

Ian. :)

3. Ridders92

Ridders92 Member

Hi Ian,

No, I have never heard of them but I will definitely give them a call and see if they can help me in any way.

Thank you for the help.

Dan

4. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

When you give them a call you can't just say "hi there can you put me through to the guy who sorts out apprenticeships in motorsport." Have a look at their website, figure out who is the boss and work out exactly what they do. Locate the business and go down there looking smart, having done some homework. When you get there try and get 5 minutes with the boss and tell him what you're after and that you're from High Wycombe etc etc. He's bound to know someone who owns a race team who can help you out.

According to 'Whois' Neil Matthews is the boss.

Ian. :)

#4 Blackett, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  5. Ridders92

Ridders92 Member

Thank you for the advice and for finding out who the boss is greatly appreciate it. :)

6. Ridders92

Ridders92 Member

Any BDC Drivers need a hand at events?

7. iamben

iamben Active Member

I don't think you quite understand how drift events work.
    They are not so much "teams" like you get at those GT1 events, its more a bunch of half cut uneducated numpties and their inbred mates who are fueled by red bull, cigarettes and the laugh of pissing about in cars.

Of course if you are intent on helping BDC drivers turn up with a rucksack full of handbrakes. Wander around shouting "spare handbrakes" until someone hugs you. Join team, get bitches.

8. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

Correction. Rock up with spare gearboxes and be everybody 's hero

9. FC3-Stew

FC3-Stew Member

Also for what your after you sound like it needs to be within Motorsport and MSA regulated which drifting isnt. Its more of a hobby than a Motorsport.

10. Ridders92

Ridders92 Member

I have managed to gain an apprenticeship but I'm am still looking for someone reasonably local to me (Buckinghamshire) to help with their drift project as it is a side of Motorsport I would love to learn more about. You don't have to compete at all as it would be something to do in my spare time so would be nice to help someone out and learn at the same time and I am not looking for for any sort of money out of this it is purely to learn.

If anyone local to me would be interested please let me know. I know my way around cars and have worked for several GT racing teams as well as the one I am working for now.

I appreciate all of your time.

Thanks
    Ridders

11. oscar-silvia

oscar-silvia Member

at last a young lad with the right attitude!

12. Ridders92

Ridders92 Member

Cheers man, appreciate it

13. Zoomj

Zoomj Is Skint

Definitely!

When I first read the title i thought, oh god not another kyle-gtr/taxi!

Fair play Ridders I wish you all the best mate!!

14. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

this x a million. it does make me laugh people think there are "drift teams" with pit crew etc, "teams" are just groups of mates who nick each others tools and pass each other wheels etc. there is no proper organised teams, and furthermore there is certainly no money involved.

so personaly id pick a proper motorsport to get experience from!

15. StonerJ

StonerJ Guest

what is your problem with everyone?

16. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

my problem?! where did i say i have a problem?

having spent the last 6 years around drift events above is a true statement! doesnt mean i hate drifting or anyone etc just a matter of fact, that people outside of drifting have very odd ideas of what actually goes on compared to reality.

17. Ridders92

Ridders92 Member

I am working in British GT and Blanchpain Endurance Series with a Ferrari 458 GT3 so I am getting my experience for my college course from that, but during the spare time I have I would like to be involved with drifting so what I am looking for is someone with a drift project of some sort who want's an extra pair of hands just to help out and I will also learn from that as setting a drift car up is different to setting up at GT car.

18. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

cool man. good on ya. im sure someone will be happy for help. dont take what i said as negative, just pointing out a lot of people think drifting is organised like other motorsports but really isnt. sounds like you got the right idea though.

19. Ridders92

Ridders92 Member

Cheers mate, and no I didn't take it as negative I probably should have worded what I was looking for a bit better in the first place.

20. Pikey

Pikey Active Member

Best description of your average drift event ever :D