e30 318det daily driver

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by captain_chaos, Sep 4, 2012.

1. captain_chaos

captain_chaos Member

Motacautocentre on eBay. 360 for a new set. They are Enkei copies. Actually made by Dare but still canny for the price.

2. GB / John

GB / John NDC Runner Up 2012

No point changing the rack unless you gonna drift it. Think 6mm is max spacers on e36 rack, even then prob break the seals.

3. OJCC

OJCC Member

haha aye iv got history on mine since 1996 when it was bought for £7000!!! its had 14 owners including me all them have looked after it well inner arches are mint the other wernt as good but iv sorted it took the rear cards out and had a luck just a bit off bubbling and rusty surface. i still need to sort that crack in my turret though well not the turrent the joint between where the turrent is and where youvetubed yours.

4. captain_chaos

captain_chaos Member

It is getting drifted mate, otherwise I would've just left it standard haha!
    E30 racks are gay! 4 turns lock to lock sucks balls!

5. captain_chaos

captain_chaos Member

See mine is actually in really good state apart from arches at the back and an odd hole in the floor pan. The sills are solid as a rock! And so are the rails. First thing i done when I went to look at it, was to take a screwdriver to the sills and stuff and stab at them to find rot.

6. OJCC

OJCC Member

yh i just bought mine as i wasnt too bothered about the body but after checking it all over its in pritty good shape for how many miles its done

7. captain_chaos

captain_chaos Member

Small update since its sunday and a day at the trails is ruined by rain.

Been busy working on the rear axel as still waiting on the headlights to turn up which, I need to finish my rad and MMIC set up.

Photos are self explanatory, decided some reinforcement on the diff cradle would be beneficial and been working on the toe and camber plates. Machined them from the sizes worked out off the e39 m12 camber bolts.
    The way the inner pivot (camber) is positioned, will give me 1.25 deg. camber correction. If this works out to be not enough, will be making another set and my own eccentric bolts which will increase the camber correction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now need to get payed, get this and the servo bracket and pedal box powder coated and then get my bushes ordered.

Anyone recommend any polybushes? Kind of wanting to get the Ireland Engineering ones as they seem to be almost nylon and not polyurethane but dont want to run solids as the car will be a slammed daily drifter.

8. balashark

balashark Member

I have to do the wiring for one of these soon. Any hints?

9. captain_chaos

captain_chaos Member

Ummm as far as I can explain simply. Find a pin out for your interior loom side plug C101 which will give you all the needed pins. The download the John Bennet SR20 swap manual as it gives you a rough guide of what you need to connect. The three plugs that need converting on an SR s13 swap are the ones that need power to them.
    If you get stuck, give me a PM and I will scan my wiring guide that I made and send you in a PDF.

10. balashark

balashark Member

Brilliant. Thank you mate. Doing it for a mate in my spare time.

11. captain_chaos

captain_chaos Member

No probs, just give me a shout if you want the pdf

12. captain_chaos

captain_chaos Member

Haven't updated in a while. Not done much work in past month due to lack of cash and broken elbow (broken bones didnt stop me for long) but got some stuff finally done and made a bit more progress.

Made a jig to flip my car as Im sick of welding upside down. This thing makes life so much easier! It can go all the way upside down too! :wack:

[​IMG]

So started working on the back arches, had to cut out the whole half of the inner tub as it was rotten and make a new tub. And then cut out for my bolt on arches.

[​IMG]

The first arch is now fitted. Really good fit and looks bad ass! :smokin::thumbs: Thank you to Darren from Team Sunset for providing these bad lads! Cant wait to get them all on and fill the arches out with my new wheels!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and finally got around to stripping off the turbine housing off the T28H and a spare T25 I had. Will get one of the guys at work (30+ years experience turning) to bore out the T25 housing so it fits the big, bad T28H from a pulsar :) should be fun!

Oh and think I decided to forge the CA, its extra 750 quid ish but I suppose then I can treat it to a z32 maf, 555cc injectors and a custom map from H-dev.....wonder what it would make at say, 1.4 bar :wack::wack::wack:

For now, that is all.

13. AnthDay

AnthDay Member

good luck mate should be awesome when its finished

14. captain_chaos

captain_chaos Member

Cheers dude. Just want it done now! Lol wana drive it and scare myself! :)

15. axxelf

axxelf New Member

What kind of arches is that ? :) Looking good btw!

16. captain_chaos

captain_chaos Member

I'm not 100% what they are mate. Got them from Darren at Team Sunset.

17. DaRReN-R32

DaRReN-R32 Member

they are very very very simlar to fiberworks dtm ;) but at a quater of the price.....

18. axxelf

axxelf New Member

okey, thanks :) Where do i find those ? :)

#38 axxelf, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  19. DaRReN-R32

DaRReN-R32 Member

DTM fiberwerkz if you want to pay $550 + import tax or me i might do another set