UK ODC 2012 Final

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by MJG, Sep 14, 2012.

1. MJG

MJG Active Member

It gives me great pleasure to announce that we have confirmed the arrangements for the 2012 UK Open Drift Championship final event! Thanks to the hard work of Gordon, Gavin and JohnJ we have managed to secure the Pembrey Tri-oval course for the ODC final :D Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th October

We have access to the Kart track Saturday afternoon for practice and setup time, then we have all day Sunday on the Tri-oval course when the competition will take place.

This means that despite being a long drive for some of you, it is well worth the travel time for all the seat time we have in store! We also have camping on the Saturday night, an on-site bar, hot showers and hopefully some lovely South Wales coastal weather….? So as the end to our drift season we should have a pretty mad weekend of it.

Anyway, the event is only open to the top 32 drivers at the end of play at Birmingham wheels on Sunday 21st October. The master ODC score sheet will then be updated and all drivers who’ve attended 4 or more events will be invited to attend. If we don’t have 32 drivers who’ve attended 4 or more events, the top scorers with only 3 rounds under their belt will be invited until we reach 32. Why 32, I hear you say? Well that’s because the 2013 final will be a big fuck-off twinning competition, so we’re getting you guys used to the numbers early.

Unfortunately, the event cannot be made free, due to issues with the 2011 championship, which we can only apologise for on behalf of the previous ODC organisers.

Looking at track hire, plus a prize fund, we have to ask for:

£40 per driver attending.
    £10 per passenger
    £5 per spectator

A half day at the kart track would be £30 normally, and the Tri-oval days cost £85, so as you can see the £40 is heavily subsidised by the membership fees already in the ODC account, but we just don’t have enough to make it free.

Ideally I’d ask everybody to paypal us and confirm if they can attend, but we don’t know who’s qualified yet! I will be going through the score sheet and working out who has definitely qualified for the final, and inviting you via email to confirm your place at the final. If you can’t make it, your place will be offered to position 33, and so on. If you can make it, then we’ll ask for a paypal payment to secure your place.

Now I have some track layouts that Gordon will be proposing on Tuesday with the track managers, but for now I’ll keep it quiet. Needless to say it will be as awesome as we can make it. Practice will be twinning and trains (or solo, at your request), driving will be hard, seat time will be excessive, then drinking will follow. Sunday we will start the competition early afternoon so you can either start the long journey home afterwards or go mental knowing you’ve already done the competition and your car and tyres can be destroyed for the winter.

I’ll confirm more details as they get presented to me, but for now, if you are planning on kicking arse and qualifying in the top 32 – start saving a few quid for your petrol money and to put behind the bar. It’s going to be awesome.

Oh yeah, and as long as we get the 32 drivers, there will be a cash prize for the top drivers as well as hopefully some other goodies.

#1 MJG, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. blitz20ten

blitz20ten Member

sweet! :DD so passengers are allowed on both sat and sunday? im really hoping i make the final as sounds like a awesome weekend! and pembrey is just the bollocks imo! : )

3. Haynesey

Haynesey Active Member

Superb :) did I miss the date on there though?

4. MJG

MJG Active Member

Edited - I have no idea how that got missed out. I copied and frickin pasted it! Haha.

5. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

So this isn't open to non-ODC drivers?

6. greenbug22

greenbug22 Member

good result, cnt wait maybe repeat last years result???

7. MJG

MJG Active Member

Correct - this is only for ODC drivers who qualify in the top 32 of the championship.

Stu - best of luck but competition will be fierce! you've certainly qualified well though so far :thumbs:

8. a2pen

a2pen Member

Happy days I will be there with a car full of tyres, currently ranked number 33 so hope to bag another round and be in the top 32 :)

9. mike_s14

mike_s14 Member

Superb work and the 2013 twinning is going to be mad :smokin:

Mrs due on the 24th so lets hope there's no delay.....

10. The Hols

The Hols Member

Absolutely amazing work done by all!

Looks like another busy month for the Drift-Inc marshals, and I am so looking forward to having the final on pembrey! :-)

11. Towlie

Towlie Member

Nice one. On my birthday too! Time to get the E30 ready methinks!

12. jeffries

jeffries Member

Awsome can't wait to see this happening. Gutted it isn't an open day aswell.

13. jonofd3

jonofd3 Active Member

SWEEET, looks like I'm going to need a few days overtime in the bank!! and need to get another round in at pembrey too just to get in the final!! Realy hope I can get there with the truck.... should be fun!

14. MJG

MJG Active Member

Jeffries - pretty sure there have been plenty of other open days at Pembrey, so I can't really apologise haha. But if you want to get involved then join the ODC next year!

15. jeffries

jeffries Member

Yea I've just done the last two drift days at pembrey and got the bug lol.

16. MJG

MJG Active Member

Just echoing my other post today, I will be emailing the top 16 drivers as of the 8th October and requesting £40 paypal payment for their place in the final. After this date there will be one potential date at Smeatharpe (13th Oct) and one date at Birmingham wheels (21st Oct), then I will make the final results table and send emails to those drivers in the top 32.

For reference, all future paypal and emails can be directed to UKODC@hotmail.com

If you can't attend the final at Pembrey, regardless of you qualifying or not, please email me so I can reshuffle those final invitations around. If you are expecting to qualify and attend the final then please keep £40 ready in your paypal to avoid any delays and last minute hassle.

Also, if you are hoping to qualify then obviously get your tyres and stuff ready to avoid the crazy rush in the last week before the final! There's a payday or two before then so hopefully we won't get too many excuses about it being £80 in fuel away from where you live :D

Oh and there will be a cash prize for the top 3 drivers, as well as DW hoodies for the top 3, every ODC competitor gets 25% off at SFSperformance hoses, and with a bit of luck there'll be some other goodies too ;)

17. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Sounds great mike, top work matey

18. Skyline pickup

Skyline pickup New Member

I'm gonna win the odc who is rich grind rod lolololol can't wait

19. MJG

MJG Active Member

I will be updating the scoresheet shortly but please all check your inboxes as I've sent out invites to the top drivers, allowing for a bit of a shuffle round after Birmingham wheels this weekend!

We do have an update for the final though - the owner of Pembrey has kindly given us permission to run more than just the TRI oval for the Sunday's competition, this means we have some crazy fast corners to add on to the track as well as a huge backwards initiation! The only catch is that on the big track we need to run fireproof overalls of some sort!

So Saturday, no problems, passengers allowed, running on the kart track with twinning and all kinds of craziness....

Sunday, big track, OVERALLS REQUIRED, and a bit more serious and competition orientated!

These overalls can be any old crap as long as they are a bit fireproof. This is a proper race track and as such we have to obide by the sensible safety rules. Obviously this is late in the day, but it's an opportunity we shouldn't pass up. So get on ebay and search "fireproof overalls" and buy whatever you like, these can be as cheap as £20-25!

If the majority have a big issue with this, then the fall back option is to stick to the TRI oval, but this is just a sequence of 3 right hand turns and is not as awesome as 3rd/4th gear left hand sweepers! So HOPEFULLY despite it being so late in the day, people will have time to get hold of some overalls.

Anyway check the score sheet shortly for the latest top 32 drivers, and remember there is still a Birmingham wheels round to go, but the standings are going to give you an idea of if you will qualify or not.

Please give me some feedback on this, as it's YOUR championship, I'm just trying to steer it in the right way.

20. Tara

Tara Member

Looking forward to seeing the updated table