Bmw m20 b25 Anygood?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by identiti, Oct 8, 2012.

1. identiti

identiti Member

Long story cut short ive recently purchased an e30 with the 2.5 lump in it allready done the head gasket due to oil leaks now runs smooth and well looking to do first dwyb with it any hints or tips for keeping it running for a days abuse?

Ie cooling mods and or general reliability issues with the m20's when driven hard. thanks all!

2. R32 GTR

R32 GTR Active Member

cooling, cooling, cooling oh and cooling. Thats the only thing you need to worry about.

Take lots of spare fluids and replace water pump before you go.

3. pipcarder

pipcarder Member

Stop ya flapping its going on a trailer

What's the worst that could happen.....

4. Paz

Paz -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY- UK Drift Since 2001

Rocker arms.

5. turbokick

turbokick Member

Very relyable engine IMO. You have a rock.

6. identiti

identiti Member

Okay so whats to be done with the cooling then? im going to try and plumb an elecy fan in before we go and its just had a new water pump and thermostat so other than an ally rad is there much to be improved?

You say rockers i assume u mean they snap if u hold it on the red line for too long?

Yeah but be nice to actually drive it for a day not have it shit it self and then me watch u guys ass dragging all day lol.

7. identiti

identiti Member

yeah? you had some good experiences with them then? I definatley favour the steel blocks on the m20's!

8. turbokick

turbokick Member

Yeah, this is an engine that's hard to be broken IMO (I know some people trying seriously to kill M20s for years and they can't), this engine has no vanos, M20 has some internals that came originally forged, it takes a lot of boost stock if you decide to force induccion it, I have seen some scandalous results!

#8 turbokick, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  9. gstuning

gstuning Member

M20´s don´t have any forged internals.

10. chidley

chidley i like fingers

nope, just super strong ones (from what ive been told)

mine seemed to do well at pod, even running on 5 cylinders i was brave enough to hit the big track and do the smaller corners of it successfully in the dry, and there were 1 or 2 others linking majority of the main track :)

11. 69rat

69rat Member

i did this to mine
    [​IMG]

threw a rod that hit the old dizzy/oil pump drive and threw it out the side of the block!

12. turbokick

turbokick Member

You're an young monster man! I see you have a really heavy right foot! Know some people running M20s on 1,5bar on stock internals and still there!

#12 turbokick, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  13. identiti

identiti Member

So overall a pretty strong engine when in comparrason to most other lumps? Must say I do love the simplicity of the m20 setup! roll on the first dwyb day then!

14. Paz

Paz -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY- UK Drift Since 2001

Yeah man, its happend to a couple of our M20's in the past. Probably worth re-setting the tolerances if you got time..

15. identiti

identiti Member

16. bell

bell Without patience

[​IMG]
    this can happen and usually only happens to the front cylinder.
    make sure the spray bar is free of gunk, if your going to skid it take a can of oil with you and check your oil levels, id advise putting a little more than recommended in there as drifting causes a fair bit of slosh about inside the engine and can cause the car to starve the engine of oil.
    by the way r0ckers are only about 10 quid each off the bay, its just the hassle of removing the headbolts to get the rocker bar free from the head thats a bit of a twat.

id definatly recommend a zone wild chip makes the car come alive i feel.

17. identiti

identiti Member

Ah yeah its just had a head gasket done so i cleaned the spray rail out. so whats the main cause of failure for a roocker to snap?? metal fatigue??

18. Jamie1st

Jamie1st Member

You're in the same boat as me, ive just picked an E30 up with an M20B25 lump in.

He had over heating issues when drifting, now rocking an elec. fan and big ally M3 rad, first drift day at pod on Saturday so will see how it goes!

19. identiti

identiti Member

Cool whens your first drift day then? Oh nice guessing youve got a pull fan then?? bloody tight between the rad and the engine tho! couldnt find a fan slim enough down the scrappy to fit it!

Is the m3 rad a straight swap then??

20. Jamie1st

Jamie1st Member

Just seen this man, my first drift day was a few week back at Pod, the car ran faultless all day, not using oil or water! The rad is some after market M3 rad in ally, and it looks to be a straight fit (was already on the car). The viscous fan has been removed, and an elec fan fitted infront of the rad (between the rad and front bumper)

It does have a tendency to creep just above the half way point when drifting hard/high revs, but n0thing to worry about!