BMW E30 - '85 316 with 2.8 M52 Conversion

Thread in 'Drift cars for sale' started by E30Dan, Oct 1, 2012.

1. E30Dan

E30Dan Member

My ’85 M52B28 Chromie, affectionally known as the ‘Snotter’ due to it’s uncommon colour.

Bought in March this year as something to drive during evenings & weekends aswell as a little project to keep me occupied after splitting up with the other half. I have been offered the opportunity to extend my detailing hobby into something nearing a part time job so a more suitable load lugging car is needed– E46/E39 Touring. I’m trying to keep my fleet to a minimum and four cars is too much.

I have lavished many hours and a lot of money getting it to a standard that I’m happy with.

Spec & work done:

Body:
    -Standard very early pre-facelift, non sunroof – 75k miles.
    -New rear arches previous to my ownership.
    -Both sides painted.
    -New front valance (awaiting second new valance to be painted after an altercation with a Muntjack deer).
    -Very slight crease to nearside wing near bumper from the 'Muntjack'.
    -Welding to front sill jacking points on both sides (factory jack location).
    -Welding beneath battery in the boot.
    -Weld repairs by previous owners inspected and corrected where required.

After any welding all areas were cleaned to bright metal, zinc primed, seam sealed and painted. Then depending on the location undersealed, stone chipped etc.

The welding was done by my brother who is a welder fabricator by trade.

The sills were taken back to bare metal, sprayed with a coat of zinc oxide and stone chipped black paying particular attention to making a crisp line against the green body colour.

I spent a week cleaning the underside and arches with TFR/brake cleaner ready to treat with Dinitrol rust proofing products after masking off all components (I actually removed the front struts as it was easier).

The underside is treated with Dinitrol Metallic Underbody Wax: Dinitrol Metallic Underbody Wax (500ml) | Frost Auto Restoration Techniques

Cavities including sills, boot pockets, rear quarters, chassis legs etc treated with Dinitrol ML Cavity Wax: Dinitrol ML Cavity Wax (500ml) | Frost Auto Restoration Techniques

New chrome trim to front and rear screens.

And the paint in general was subject to my OCD detailing/polishing.

A Cat' 1 alarm has been fitted by a reputable installer and I watched the whole process, I'm an 11kv Cable Jointer so therefore very particular when it comes to this sort of thing.
    Not one nasty scotch lock was used

Engine/Transmission:

-Previous to my ownership an engine conversion was carried out by Richard and Nathan at Big Bavarian Beauties, below is taken from the BBB invoice:

To carry out M52 engine conversion on B151 EAV, convert from automatic transmission to manual; tidy engine bay, supply exhaust and customise to fit new engine; custom engine loom; convert to PAS and fit E36 quick rack with custom made mounts, linkage and pipe work; fit M50 big bore inlet manifold prepare custom pipework for this conversion; custom high flow and high pressure fuel pump; fit new discs and pads to the front and convert to vented discs over solid with replacement callipers and pipework; using new parts in the conversion over second hand parts as requested by customer.
    New Parts: Clutch, exhaust gaskets, sump gasket, electric fan, radiator, propshaft centre bearing, engine mounts, discs, pads, thermo switch, fuel pump, water pump and thermostat; engine loom; rack mounts and linkages; 5 metres fuel pipe; electrical wire; engine bay covers;
    Fluids – engine oil, PAS fluid, Brake fluid, Anti freeze; clutch slave cylinder;
    Other parts: Engine, sump and oil pick up; M50 inlet manifold; E36 PAS rack; front callipers; 318is gearbox; propshaft; rear differential; custom gear linkage; pedal box and pipe work; electrical relays; dash clocks

I cannot remember the exact mileage of the M52, somewhere around 98,000. Richard is coming back to me.

Not a drop of oil or water used between changes.

The car also gained a disc brake rear axle while at BBB.
    Since I have had the car the oil and filter have been changed twice.

I have also fitted a 3.73 LSD and filled with the correct Castrol fluid along with a new bush.

Suspension & brakes:

I received the car with 51mm front struts, disc brake rear axle, powerflex axle bushes and an H&R Cup kit lowering 60mm front and 40mm rear.

Since then I have fitted:
    -Lemforder front control arms.
    -Lemforder E30 M3 eccentric control arm bushes.
    -Lemforder anti roll bar links.
    -H&R coilover suspension with negative camber top mounts. (This is a very firm but still comfortable ride). Easily changed if not your cuppa tea.
    -Racing Dynamics anti roll bars (Not included in sale).
    -Recent front discs & pads.
    -New rear discs, pads & handbrake shoes.

Wheels & tyres:

-A choice between two sets of 15” BBS or possibly Compomotive TH1680 fitted with Toyo T1R’s.

Interior:

-Cloth comfort seats as seen in the pictures which the drivers seat has collapsed and the carpet is torn near the throttle pedal OR a complete cloth sport houndstooth interior (sourced but yet to be collected).

The car will come with its original front speakers and without a head unit.

If I keep the car my next tasks will be:

-Repair the only remaining rust in the offside inner arch in the boot where the fuel filler neck bracket is located ( 2 inch square). Currently treated with POR15 metal ready and zinc oxide spray. Visible from the boot by removing the carpet trim.
    The only reason behind this not being tackled at the same time as the other welding was due to my brother needing to finish his VW in time for its debut show.
    -Fit an E46 067 steering rack.
    -Fit the E30 M3 Scorpion exhaust system I recently acquired.
    -New rear bumper.
    -All new bumper trims.

MOT until May 2013 and Tax until the end of November 2012.

The price:
    - £4200 ono with BBS' and the current interior.
    - If I can collect the already sourced early 325 sport interior it will be an additional £350.
    - I have some Compomotive TH1680 alloy wheels and these will be £450.

No parts are for sale separately so please do not ask.

No moaning about price, any seller is entitled to ask however much they want whether they get the figure asked is another issue.

Sourcing a car as good as this with no sunroof in an uncommon colour, converting to an M52, replacing all suspension components and preserving the shell would cost considerably more than I'm asking.

Located not far from Cambridge - Dan - 07885 977604

No part exchanges.

Further pics to be added shortly. Please feel free to request any particular pics/details.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pics of work:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 E30Dan, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  2. 00ironst

00ironst Member

this is one mega e30, such a light car with a 2.8 in. i had the e36 328 sport and that was quick best this goes like sh*t off a shovel.

3. E30Dan

E30Dan Member

It does go very well, very lively in the wet even in 4th.

4. 00ironst

00ironst Member

glws bud, if only i had the dolla's!

5. Ed

Ed Anti-Dibs

Woah, that's was too nice an E30 for DW's :nod:

6. E30Dan

E30Dan Member

Thanks, I thought it might serve as a retro daily with the reliable M52 fitted.

7. dicko

dicko Member

That is awesome, if i had moola id be all over it. Perfect daily in my eyes. Sure you dont want a 350z that well known load lugger? :)

8. E30Dan

E30Dan Member

PM or email the 350Z details over to bmmaddan@hotmail.co.uk, no harm in having a gander.

9. dicko

dicko Member

I think i have emailed you but im not sure if it worked. Could you let me know if you got it by messaging me on here. Tried using some one elses work email but may have failed miserably
    Cheers theo

10. SY__GT

SY__GT Member

Wow, that's awesome. Deffo worth the money you're asking. Very nice!

11. E30Dan

E30Dan Member

Thank you, it'll be a shame to see it go but something more suited to long journeys is needed.

12. E30Dan

E30Dan Member

13. dicko

dicko Member

sent you an email. 350z not take your fancy? :)

14. E30Dan

E30Dan Member

I'm still pondering at the moment. Researching 350z's at the moment.

15. Craig_sir

Craig_sir Member

Damn fine looking e30. This could be just what I'm after. What sorta power this puttin down?

16. E30Dan

E30Dan Member

Approximately 220bhp guys.

#16 E30Dan, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  17. E30Dan

E30Dan Member

18. E30Dan

E30Dan Member

And again.

19. E30Dan

E30Dan Member

Monday afternoon bump.

20. E30Dan

E30Dan Member

Right chaps, the car is hardly being used at present and I'd like it gone.

I'm flexible on price, £3500 ? Drop me a PM, email to bmmaddan at hotmail.co.uk or call on zero 78859776zero 4.