HPI Sprint & Yokomo YR-4

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Impressive G, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Impressive G

Impressive G New Member

As I don't have the balls to skid my RX8 just yet I figured I would get into RC stuff again.

I picked up a job lot of two cars from ebay for a steal a HPI Sprint and Yokomo YR-4
    [​IMG]

I still had some radio gear from the 80's when I used to race Schumacher Cats and Cougers indoors and outdoors so just picked up a modern motor, ESC and battery together with some skid wheels, got my AE86 shell I bought for my Nitro RS4 and here you go
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Yokomo YR-4 I am restoring as best as possible with new/old stock as it wasn't complete so needed to get the top deck and damper and a battery strap and it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both cars will have new shells but I need to get the practice in drifting the HPI before I commit to a good shell. The yokomo will be OK as that will be my grip car.

Hope you like

G

2. Impressive G

Impressive G New Member

Got myself sorted with new shells for both cars.

Toyota Crown for my HPI
    [​IMG]

And RX7 FB for the Yokomo
    [​IMG]

Here they are painted up
    [​IMG]

The RX7 I painted like the JDM legends FB which I love hence the homage.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New wheels for both and stealth mounts for the HPI came last weekend so happy bunny with the results. The Yokomo has a 15 double vintage Reedy motor which I thought would be too quick for skidding turns out its not bad but I'm convinced ill just use the HPI for drifting for now and hopefully use the Yokomo for track racing as its very quick indeed with grip tyres.

3. Shaun1982

Shaun1982 Member

Looks like some quick progress there! Have you used the stealth mounts yet? Mine are starting to do my head in trying to get my news15 shell to sit properly. It's always touching the front or back of at least one wheel.
    My stealth mounts just turn around at free will at the minute making it awkward to take the plunge& stick the shell on

4. Impressive G

Impressive G New Member

[​IMG]

This is the HPI with the stealth mounts on.

[​IMG]

Being honest I don't think the quality is very good but the design is.

Seems to sit ok too really

[​IMG]

Are yours the same type?

5. Shaun1982

Shaun1982 Member

Nope mine are the little plastic ones with the rotating ball to get the right angle to fit each shell. Yours look much better than mine! Lol

6. Impressive G

Impressive G New Member

Update

project drifter HPI sprint is no more. Just can't be ar5ed with replacing £10 belts every time I use it so after a coincidence conversation with a fellow car nut I acquired a Yokomo YR4-J which is the long wheelbase version of the compact.

Looks like this (no pics of mine to hand, will come soon)
    [​IMG]

A day or two later the same nut offers me a brand new Yokomo YR4 compact, in the box, unbuilt with Elise shell for a steal.

Not got it here yet but he sent me some pics (kit was missing a bag of parts which, hopefully I have spare anyway)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feel almost bad wanting to build it, the thing is 16 years old and snug in its box :o

7. Impressive G

Impressive G New Member

Update.

Stripped the HPI of electrics to get it ready for sale and started to put things into the LWB YR4-J. Motor, servo and smaller 27mhz receiver in (not sure if the receiver works yet, was a freebie from my bro) so all I need to do now is ask Santa for some saddle lipos, a lipo charger and new ESC that copes with lipos. Also need to drill holes in the front bumper to mount the stealth front mount.

For the time being ill have to use the compact RX7 YR-4 to do any skidding. It's awesome just feathering the throttle on a 15 double powered car. Didn't think it would work with such a high powered motor but the gearing seems just right if you're careful with it

Anyway, pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come...

8. Impressive G

Impressive G New Member

Yokomo YR4-J

Update...
    New ESC fitted, stealth mounts finished, front camber (which can be more but need to try first)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just need funds for lipos and a charger now

9. Dan_Q

Dan_Q New Member

that thing is coming on a treat matey, good work- hope father xmas brings you lipos and chargers!

i've not been skidding for weeks now- haven't even driven my ta01 with the new esc yet :(