IS200 1jz Conversion

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by LowRed, Nov 17, 2012.

1. LowRed

LowRed Member

Evening all,

I'm usually a browser on the forum but needing direct advice on this one.
    The plan as the title suggests is to 1jz my IS200, it's a old twin turbo from a 1991 Soarer.

So far I know I'll need custom engine mounts and to either source a IS300 subframe or modify the sump to fit.
    Any more ingredients or advice please let me know, I have a Leccy for the wiring etc but that's pretty much it.

Answers on a postcard please :)

Regards in advance
    LowRed

2. brennon

brennon Active Member

Wiring will be the main problem, from what I understand it is a massive pig. If you do get it to work I'll be very interested in how you do it!

Is300 sump not fit? Along with engine mounts? I seem to remember reading something about gs300 mounts fitting

3. supernova-dw

supernova-dw Active Member

It won't be a nightmare to fit, bring it to Thailand where they put 1/2JZ in Every conceivable car you can think of! Would cost you about £400 for labour for a drive in/drive out service!!!!

Anyhow as I very much doubt that your going to put it on the boat! Mounts from a IS300 or GS300 will see the engine sat in there and then of course you have the wiring to sort, It will be easy to get it running, it little more hard labour to get all the clocks etc...working nicely.

Try Thor Racing who make specific conversion parts for the IS200 1/2JZ Conversion.

4. el_bandido

el_bandido Member

Thor make 1uz conversion parts, not sure about 1j.

I think the IS200 front subframe is the same as the IS300, it's the altezza ones that might be different. You will need a front sump for the 1j and just save some time by going stand alone from the beginning. The expensive bit will be getting a JZX100/soarer R154 or a V160. Both of which will fit the IS200 without modification of the transmission tunnel. You will probably want to lower the rear diff ratio, which is somewhere around 4.1 if you've got the sport diff.

Steering gubbinz might also be an issue, I think you can use GS300 mounts for the engine. Though you're probably better off checking with someone who's done it.

Be prepared to spend 5k to get this done properly.

5. a2pen

a2pen Member

Gs300 mounts but it will sit a little high in the bay. R154 with remote shifter will fit with slight hammer to floor. Fuel return line.
    Your biggest hassle is turbo down pipe past the steering column. Front sump off is300.
    Altezza diff and shafts or u will snap shaft bolts

6. LowRed

LowRed Member

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, I'll be saving on the major expense by keeping it Auto for now to get it all running (don't think bad of me) :p

I'll get some mounts fabricated on the basis of the GS300's and source a IS300 sump in the meantime. Can I assume I need a custom fuel line too?

Keep the advice coming everyone. More input needed :)

7. el_bandido

el_bandido Member

you will need to fit a fuel return line, as the IS200 doesn't have one.

8. brennon

brennon Active Member

Why get mounts made up if the gs300 ones fit? Bit of a waste o time?

9. el_bandido

el_bandido Member

might want the engine to sit a bit lower?

10. LowRed

LowRed Member

How much higher are we talking on the engine? I'm raising the bonnet on the back and don't mind some hacking if required ;)

11. el_bandido

el_bandido Member

1j will fit under the bonnet no problem.

12. LowRed

LowRed Member

Ah that will be fine then I don't mind it higher than standard fitment if it's still snug under the bonnet, I just need to find some specifications on the mounts now :)

13. el_bandido

el_bandido Member

there is a guy who has just done a vvti 1j altezza in the project section, might be worth asking him some questions.

14. Sifeizai

Sifeizai Member

toyota altezza 1jz vvti swapped using aristo 2jz mount. posting it as a reference regard engine sitting a little higher.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. brennon

brennon Active Member

1j is a shorter block than the 2j isn't it? So even if it sits a little higher I can't see it being a problem at all

16. vibra-technics

vibra-technics New Member

GS300 mounts 105mm high unladen (same as IS300). If you want to go lower you may want to consider the JZX100 mount. This has the two studs at the bottom, the same as the GS300 but are M10 rather than M12. This mount is only 85mm high unladen. Both should fit your IS200 crossmember.

The only other thing to watch out for is the JZX100 mount has only 36mm of stud at the top so make sure it is long enough to go through the engine bracket.

#16 vibra-technics, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  17. Sifeizai

Sifeizai Member

vote on him, no one more accurate than the guy who make engine mounts.

18. LowRed

LowRed Member

Excellent info on the mounts guys :) does anyone have access to specs or blueprints for the IS300 mounts? My fabricator can sort to copy them. What part of the sump will I require? Just the lower pan or the entire lower sump to swap ends. Advice is all sinking in well ;)

19. brennon

brennon Active Member

To be honest your cheapest bet is probably to buy a whole 2jz-ge from a gs300 at a scrap yard, ask them to leave the engine mounts on and you will probably get it cheaper than the price of the sump alone from forums

20. vibra-technics

vibra-technics New Member

I agree 100%

One final note on engine mounts. Apart from the IS300/GS300 most 1Z/2JZ mounts are around 80-85mm high. Supra MK4 facelift, Supra MA70 and Soarer (not v8) are all single bolt top and bottom and are interchangeable (apart from the dowel which can be easily cut off) and have 12mm stud at the top and 14mm stud at the bottom. The JZX90 is the same but has M12 top and bottom.

The IMPORTANT thing for performace is that all the IS, GS, JZS and JZX mounts are very soft at around 25-30kg/mm vertical stiffness. The Supra MK4 (facelift), MA70 and Soarer are all much stiffer at 50-55 kg/mm stock. So if you have the option go for the Supra mount. f you swap mounts make sure you carry over the metal bracket that fits around the top of the mount.

If you are going for the two bolt chassis fixing (JZX100, GS300 style) then consider using the Nissan GTST OEM mount. This is aproximatly 72 mm tall and is 55kg/mm, much stiffer than the standard Toyota part. But you will have to compensate for the height difference.