mx5 will not start

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by dacky20, Dec 7, 2012.

1. GO79

GO79 Member

He'd know if he emptied the 'water' aka acid out of his battery. If its a standard mx5 battery they at some sort of gel/glass fibre thing, so don't leak.

2. dacky20

dacky20 Member

ive 100% not severed a fuel line i jacked it at the very front of the sill with a trolly jack unless with the rust its crushed and trapped some hidden wiring in the sill?

3. GO79

GO79 Member

Did it deform? I can't imagine you crushed something if it didn't. Like I say. Auto electrician will cost about £30-45 to diagnose it. Then you can have the fun fixing it!

4. dacky20

dacky20 Member

im going to try and find an ignition diagram so i can check everything that you and pandacar said ! basicall pull all the fuses and relays and if any even look discolored im going to replace them ! and no the sill didnt really give way just about a few mill but nothing substantial !
    if all else fails tomorow ill get the sparky out Tuesday and let him earn his money

To me its defo something on the ignition because i havent heard the pump prime ( i will stick my ear to it tomoz) or starter clicking its tits of so it has to be between the key and whatever relay is next

5. Pandacar

Pandacar New Member

I was really joking about this one as you have to turn it on it's side to drain the battery. And absorb glass mat (agm) is what you were thinking of.

6. dacky20

dacky20 Member

well im going to give everything a good wiggle and test and change relays and fuses and see if the fecker starts today

#46 dacky20, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  7. dacky20

dacky20 Member

right ive established that there is no power to the starter motor and the pump is not priming either is there anything in perticlar it could be ?

8. dacky20

dacky20 Member

get ready for shits and giggles when sparky comes tomoz and diagnoses it :)

p.s ive found a silver box like a ecu up behind the dash like where a passenger airbag would be and as i turn the key its clicking like mad so now i think its and old alarm (toad) thats done it with a tilt sensor :)

9. Glenbmx

Glenbmx Member

Does it have an immobiliser then? I bypassed mine the other day after losing the key fob.

10. dacky20

dacky20 Member

yes i believe so how did you do it ?

11. TeamCommit

TeamCommit Member

Hi I am Tims (dacky20's) brother.... His car is on my drive at minute and as you can imagine he is getting rather frustrated with this one :mad:.

I am slightly more mechanically minded than Tim and this has got me stumped. Symtoms are really simple but actually finding what part of the ignition system is to blame is an other thing.

Battery 100% fine
    Main fuse supplying fusebox under bonnet, Fine
    Starter motor fine, bridged with a spanner and it turned the engine over. (constant 12.5v to the starter also)
    Various relays clicking when key turned from position one to two and a silver alarm box up behind dash... this has never caused a issue before though not even when battery was took off, so doubting this to be the issue!!

NO fuel pump active on position 2 of the key
    no spark
    No Starter on turn of the key
    No noise from the starter

Probable and most likely causes of ths issue:
    - relay in the ignition wiring
    - barrel itself
    - ECU Fried

I am hoping the last one in the list isnt true????

Auto Electrician BOOKED :cry:

#51 TeamCommit, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  12. dacky20

dacky20 Member

right the cars fixed ... long story short
    sparky came out 15mins later cars running
    it had a immobaliser thats kicked in when ive jacked the car up now its removed coilovers fitted
    lets get drifting :)

13. TeamCommit

TeamCommit Member

best £50 spent lol, instead of hours of head scratching

14. dacky20

dacky20 Member

not sure about that i think the welded diff was the best £50 but needs must just glad to hear the thing running lol

#54 dacky20, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012