Julian Barnes: Thief - Severnside imports - Achilles Tire - Low Brain Drifters

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by PhilMorrison, Jan 8, 2013.

1. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

So it seems the rumours surrounding this man are true! I feel particularly stupid writing this as I've given him the benefit of the doubt when we've heard of him ripping people off in the past. Now I've experienced it first hand I can only presume that everything we've heard is true, and he is in actual fact a quite proficient thief.

A brief run down of what happened.
    I agreed to sponsor him a set of Geomasters Hub Knuckles for the Achillies Tire car for the period of 2012. As a lot of you know (as lots of people ask for sponsorship), we do not sponsor people as we don't need to because we have our own cars. But I figured it would be a high profile car, and as our friend and someone who we previously sponsored (Dan Chapman) was driving it we'd do it.
    So a set of Geomasters were supplied and fitted to the car. In July I noticed that he had removed the Geomaster front knuckles and fitted another brand of front knuckle. This of course wasn't going to work for us, as a DW sponsored car running another brand of front knuckle isn't great advertising for us.
    So after explaining my disappointment to Julian, and him refusing to see my point (because to him it's just more free stuff) it was mutually agreed that he would remove the Driftworks decals and remove our Geomaster sponsored parts and we would have them collected.
    Then follows roughly 7 months of me trying to have them collected by our couriers, and asking him to just send them if that was easier. All the time I'm being fobbed off with 'they'll be ready for collection soon' or just ignoring my communication. Now I've just asked him for a fifth time if he can send them back or let me know when they are ready to collect and this is the reply I've received.

Julian Barnes wrote: - "listen i never had any hubs off you i had them second hand from dan when he drove our car we had no agreement with you to dishonour you had exposure on our car for most of the season , i will be keeping the hubs for payment of advertising i have had legal advise on this and i am with in my rights, its up to you take me to court if you want i don't really care ."

So lot's of people are going to say "just go get them back" or the usual idiotic "just kick his head in", but I have no interest in violence of any kind. Nor do I have any interest in increasing my blood pressure over this guy any more than I have. I'll just have to write the debt off as loss, learn from my experiences, and hope that this message may at least help save the next person or company that thinks about having anything to do with Julian Barnes or any company he chooses to represent himself as -Low Brain - Achillies Tire - Severnsides Imports. Whatever name he's currently using! Do not trust him!

2. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

Shame. I remember when the community used to look after each other.

3. CrabsterDrift

CrabsterDrift Callum Craddy

Well. That sucks! Never thought Julian was like that :\

It's this reason why new guys find it so hard to get any sort of sponsorship for competing in championships! You trust one person you believe you can and it gets shot back in your face...

4. OtakuHunter

OtakuHunter JZXBOSS

Fucking shame indeed.

5. 200sx_

200sx_ PS13 x TD Power

The Julian I know is a good guy, I've not been involved in this or anything to do with the Low Brain PS, except help out with little bits here and there. But. When I couldn't get my SR to fire, he went out of his way to help me get going again, including an ecu which he lent me on trust, as well as countless hours working at the garage which he charged me nothing for.

Like I said, this isn't my battle and don't want to get involved but just wanted to say he's helped me at HIS expense.

Jordan.

6. jeffries

jeffries Member

Julian's been dodgy for years. The main one that springs to mind is between him and Stephen Hemsley over an rx7 sold to a member on here that wasn't what was described when purchased or infact the same car. But Julian resold the car and the first buyer never saw the correct car or his money. And I've been the victim of his accomplice in Japan Stephen. Anyways sorry to hear that he's done it to you guys but at least it might all come to light about how much of a tool he really is.

7. II TimmiTwoMillTurnover II

II TimmiTwoMillTurnover II Darkside Warrior

Sound bloke IMO. Gave me free seats for my shitheap 13 and let my bro in law rebuild his engine in the workshop.

Moral of the story is don't give shit out for free especially if you already have doubts. Trust no one, any good businessman should know that...

8. scouse

scouse Active Member

Fuck with the amount of crap or dodgy dealing's go on it's going to be hard to
    know who is good and who is bad.

Jordan people can be good or kind natured, still doesn't stop them
    from telling lies and stealing,
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Then follows roughly 7 months of me trying to have them collected by our couriers, and asking him to just send them if that was easier. All the time I'm being fobbed off with 'they'll be ready for collection soon' or just ignoring my communication. Now I've just asked him for a fifth time if he can send them back or let me know when they are ready to collect and this is the reply I've received.

Julian Barnes wrote: - "listen i never had any hubs off you i had them second hand from dan when he drove our car we had no agreement with you to dishonour you had exposure on our car for most of the season , i will be keeping the hubs for payment of advertising i have had legal advise on this and i am with in my rights, its up to you take me to court if you want i don't really care

9. 200sx_

200sx_ PS13 x TD Power

Like I said, not my battle to deal with just wanted to express what I think of him.

10. docwra

docwra Active Member

No, any good businessman knows the value of advertising and other marketing. If you can tell me how to get my company promoted for free Im all ears.

11. R32 GTR

R32 GTR Active Member

Phil i feel your pain and well done for not rising to it. Its a shame that these things happen but we live and learn.

12. II TimmiTwoMillTurnover II

Lmao. Simple, provide a service better than your competition like we do. Hence why we don't advertise and turnover over 2 million pounds each year constantly. As if I'd tell you how lol

13. Hazzles

Hazzles Member

Not sure which initial post you read, but nothing was provided for free.

14. docwra

docwra Active Member

Only £2m, is that all? Perhaps you should try advertising or something. :D

Anyway, enough of this OT bollocks, back on thread. :)

15. II TimmiTwoMillTurnover II

I tend to find taking payment when supplying items or having our customers on a 30 day net payment system works..

Rather than handing stuff out with marketing stickers which are pretty useless if everyone knows your there in the first place.

Written agreements help too, from a business point of view.

16. MJG

MJG Active Member

Line 1 "dan gave me the hubs"
    Line 2 "I'm keeping your hubs as payment"

Errrrr?

17. II TimmiTwoMillTurnover II

LOL if we advertised we would probably lose business as motor factors don't like you treading on their toes.

Between 5 members of staff I'd say that's a reasonable turnover especially with idiots bastardising the market, anyway it's all about profit.

18. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

I'm dead confused, remembering right back to when the car was being built, I thought the hubs and a few other things were brought over used by Chapman? God knows, but that was what I always thought, looked far from new.

I've always got on with him for years, and couldn't be nicer or more helpful, but I never get involved with 'business' stuff with anyone.

19. Dex

Dex kut!

ive spoken/hangout with him couple of times, noting wrong, bought the nissan president off him, was a little worse then the advert said, but tbf, thats with 99% of the cars that are for sale. I had a 3 hour delay when picking it up, but he had no problems waiting and directing me to where the car was and he gave me some money back since it was pretty low on fuel.

20. ilovelamp

ilovelamp New Member

I need to grow up

#20 ilovelamp, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2013