reduncency

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by dori_wey, Jan 22, 2013.

1. dori_wey

dori_wey Member

6 years in the army and 2 tours of Afghanistan and was told today im pretty much down in line to be made redundant, how has this effected people in other walks of life
    and im not guna lie ive never had any real experience working in civilian walks of life, were can you look and whats recommended jobs wise from Bristol if this is any help, i know this is a bit of a weird one for DW but knowledge is power and all that good stuff

2. akinadan79

akinadan79 Active Member

Will you get a full resettlement package then or does the redundancy null and void that?

3. the midnite drifta

price of beer gonna hit you the most.

4. d6yme

d6yme Member

What did yo do in the army mate might help people think of jobs.

5. dori_wey

dori_wey Member

redundancy package aint the best tbh but its better than it could be a lump sum a years wages pretty much and some resettlement but not rely sure what im entitled too yet, and im in the Infantry mate so apart from a passion of cars my skills i would say aren't that transferable, can shoot stuff :wack:

6. dori_wey

dori_wey Member

i think i get half resettlement but im not even sure about that by the looks of it unless you've done 12 years not a vast amount have you served ?

7. akinadan79

akinadan79 Active Member

Yep, small world...

8. AdDaMan

AdDaMan Active Member

Well whatever happens. Mucho respect to you for doing what you've done.
    Good luck in civvy street.

9. el_bandido

el_bandido Member

have you thought about private security? I imagine infantry would be desirable experience for that and you could probably earn a lot of money.

10. derbyr34

derbyr34 Member

I'm ex army and signed off, so didn't get thing

My mate though is up for redundancy and he's a lance jack and been in 6 years in the signals.

He's been offered £32k, and will probs leave with around £27k

Hope that helps

11. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

Do private security in asia. earn up to 100k a year.

12. J_K_P

J_K_P Active Member

Or shoot Somali pikeys from boats. That seems to be a good earner if you can get into it.

13. akinadan79

akinadan79 Active Member

Out of interest how many military/ex military are on DW?

14. Mattyboi

Mattyboi Active Member

Loads.

I can think of about 10 off the top of my head. Me and Matt are the best because we were Royal Engineers, Gods Corps.

15. hug - lo

hug - lo Active Member

Very close friend of mine was in the same situation as the OP just over a year ago!

He now does close protection (bodyguard) throughout the arab states - Gets tax relief as he spends less than half a year in the uk a year and is on real money £60k - £70k. House paid for, Car (armoured merc) paid for as well as a living allowance on top!
    Nice perks, then again if/when the shit does hit the fan your earning your money i suppose!!!

How about G4s Amoured devision???

Train as a Personal Trainer... Build your client base and market your self off the back of ex-military training!
    I'd say i'm fit but not nearly to the standard of army fit!

Just a few thoughts for you!!!

16. docwra

docwra Active Member

Private security has to be worth a punt, have you got an HGV license as well?

Also look at any retraining grants you might still be able to get, if I was in your shoes Id do 6 months trainng to be a gas fitter then never turn up at peoples houses because Im already too rich to have to bother :D

17. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Two of my oldest mates left the Army and Marines after a long time in and now do private security in Iraq.

Boring as fuck, but plenty of time off, mega money, and still get to play with guns, winner. Spend half the working time on FB bored!

Not sure how easy it is to get in to, both were in and served a long time so had a lot of proof of their shit, so wasn't hard for them.

18. akinadan79

akinadan79 Active Member

In my opinion the golden years of CP have been and gone and genuine decent contracts (not your run of the mill bragging down the pub with your mates contracts) are few and far between. There was a point where far too many bullshitting muppets, having written fictitious CV's, bagged TL jobs that they were way underqualified for and that was more dangerous than the job itself.

Jack might have the right idea with the whole maritime thing but again it all boils down to who you're working with I suppose. Get a job with a reputable company and you can't really go wrong however if you get a job with a bunch of clowns look forward to your orange boiler suit and getting some Kember treatment from Abu fucknuts when it all go's Pete Tong!

With regards to going down the Personal Trainer route, I'd say yes but only if you're happy to put a lot of effort in early on with very little reward to show for it.
    If however you can get a tidy overseas contract sorting out some arab sheikh's third wife's gut then definately go for it!

The UK fitness industry however is not particularly well paid for the hours that you put in, that's all I'm sugggesting.

I did the Total Immersion qual' with Future Fit from 2008 onwards and have diplomas coming out of my arse but to be honest I haven't used it once and only have it as a fall back option if everything went pear shaped, so quite possibly have wasted £6k on a load of certificates.

CP/Maritime is fine for a quick fix but (1) You've got to know who's operating beside you and (2) It's all very well earning a decent wage driving some press packer from A-B in Baghdad but it's fuck all use to you if you're not around long enough to spend it...

the other route that I suggested in the PM mate would in my view, be a far better long term bet for you

either that or try to get some low level consultancy work with a company like Allen Vanguard providing R&D support for the next gen Valon/ECM etc

or as Martyn is planning to do, drive trains for a living when he gets out.....it surprised me when he came out with that one at Christmas but each to there own etc!

19. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

As mentioned above, once you passed the years training (which is really really bad money), train driving is MEGA money for what you do, which frankly is next to cock all. 50% of your shift sitting on your ass waiting for the next train to drive.
    Not easy to get in though, often thousands of applicants per job.

20. akinadan79

akinadan79 Active Member

Well as long as the entrance test isn't too demanding my lil' brother Martyn (who works with the OP) should be alright....if he has to fill out any paperwork or write his name with anything other than a crayon he's fucked though!
    He's a propper Newport boy...