Skating

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by drift-bitch, Feb 16, 2013.

1. LTM

LTM Member

ok, just picked up a new pair of shoes from the local skate shop.. much talk of hitting up the ramp I used to go to a lot. Only about 3ft high and made of timber for a soft landing lol.. tempted. a little

2. Damien

Damien ~London Folk~

Where have you been hiding!?

I still rock the K2 skates every now and again but was never much for the pipe... prefer rails, steps and ledges. I once tried to blade to work (about 10km) through central london, ONCE and NEVER again. The tiny little wheels combined with the potholes and general shitty roads was a waste of time.

Nice hair by the way.. both before and after ;)

3. theholty

theholty OH NOES

I skated for about ten years but gradually dropped off in my early 20's due to booze/women/cars/work and didn't really bother for about 6/7 years.

Still bust out my Xsjado's from time to time and keep up with whats happening but it's a bit depressing how shit I am these days! Totally lost my ability/nerve when it comes to handrails too :euge:

I'm still just about alright with gaps and park stuff thankfully! Had a few nice sessions cruising around the local bowl last summer :thumbs:

I'm still shocked everytime its been mentioned over the years on here how many former rollerbladers end up getting into drifting!

4. chri5

chri5 Active Member

Not done any proper skate boarding in around 15-20 years.
    Once I started driving and going out etc it kinda went on the back burner.
    I did go with my nephew around 5 years ago to the local skate park after telling him what we use to get up to.
    Dawned on me then how old I am and I'm nowhere near as good as I thought.
    Not that I was ever very good anyway. But I did use to have loads of fun ;)

5. Matt.

Matt. lemon party

I still have a push now and then but I bought a boat and have moved on to wake boarding, and well i always surfed but I do it a lot more now. I think with age my skating is more sensible I really like long boarding now.

6. cromwell

cromwell down under

I'm 25 so not that old really but still skateboard in the summer and go kickboxing once a week. You're never too old to do something you enjoy as long as you physically still can.

7. the hat

the hat Active Member

The only photo I have from back before mortgages kids and trying too keep old rwd cars on the go

[​IMG]

8. akinadan79

akinadan79 Active Member

Same here...was 1992 in fact!

I was the young brother that always tagged along with my older brother and his mates copying what they did and generally breaking bones seeing if dropping into skips from car parks would hurt!! Most nights were spent skating around Newport (at the old haunts like Beejams....which then became Iceland, Beechwood Park and Cambrian Car Park).

It's strange how it pans out, back then as a young lad I was in awe of my brother and his mates and in turn they were in awe of the older skate gods Pritch, Dainton and Pancho (the Dirty Sanchez lads) who skated the same areas and had this posse of hangers on trying to follow them and copy what they were doing (This was well before they started filming each other drinking tramp piss and gargling vomit etc).

It's weird because my brother's now well into his second career, is in his late 30's and studying at Cardiff Uni' for his doctorate....the last time I saw Pritch and Pancho on TV was about 2 years ago on Channel 4.....they were stapling each others nipples or something like that!!

Anyway my young lads well into this stunt scooter lark now so naturally he wants to go to the skate parks. I can see many a long night in A&E looming.....and that's just after I've tried giving demo's let alone when my boy try's to impress the older boys

9. GmoLargey

GmoLargey New Member

Is that a mindgame Beanie I spot there ;)

Never caught my best moments on tape, which looking back at stuff I done I really couldn't ever imagine doing now, some of the gaps and rails I attempted were just plain stupid, either so massive it could have possibly killed me (never wore helmet) or the landings so sketchy if you did land you had another problem of stopping before crashing into something else.
    I remember putting a frame through the bottom of a brand new pair of brown Brian shima razors( last skate to have the awesome reign liners ) parents- who just bought them for me after nagging them for so long weren't particularly pleased especially on the way to a&e.

In the end all my mates who I used to skate with just seemed to stop, then we all just disappeared into working life.
    now when I do meet one of them we chat for ages about the old skating days, after all it was all of our youth and did actually keep us sort of on the straight and narrow,after the property damage and trespassing that is:D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

10. Jonny_L

Jonny_L Member

I wish I had never given up skating, it was the only sport I was ever interested in/good at!
    I miss the days at my local ramp with my mates skating all day and night, only stopping when its too dark to see.
    I would like to get back out on my board when the weather is decent enough, although even at only 25 it took its toll on my knees... And broken bones at this age are slightly worse than when I was 15.

11. akinadan79

akinadan79 Active Member

I think that's a fair point, being good at it later in life probably has more to do with continuity rather than age. It only dawned on me today that Tony Hawk is in his mid 40's and though technically retired he still skates and does expo's and I dare say is still pretty bloody good at it

12. drift-bitch

drift-bitch Member

Well went to the indoor skate park on Monday..... Epic fail! Spent more time on my arse and my knees ( no rudeness ) than I did on my blades!
    Forgot how slippery indoor ramps were... Came out with a sore backside, ripped leggings, bruised knee and a bigger bruised ego lol!
    However I am going to try again next week! Maybe ill try drop in off the 4ft ramp instead of the 8ft one again lol[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. LTM

LTM Member

/\/\ that looks awesome :)

14. mindgame007

mindgame007 Member

15. bell

bell Without patience

started skateboarding in 96 hashed it in about 2006' left knee is fucked and prolounged clutch kicks at drift days cripple me for a week after let alone cold weather where it aches like hell.
    that said i try to go once a year or so, but i now suck even worse than i did.....

[​IMG]

memories man

16. BMWsean

BMWsean Member

god damn I miss skateboarding :( been years since I did it properly, have still got my board tho! and on the odd occasion I jump on the addiction and 'try' and do some flips around the workshop....then I put it back after 10minutes because im fucked!....every once in a while this happens....and it brings back great childhood memorys :)

17. mint

mint touch my fruit

I was boarding last night ! :p But on my Zip Zinger with my longboard setup. Was alot of fun but didnt have gloves on which I usually have for sliding it about to slow down so was a bit sketchy.

Planning on getting a new deck soon though. :) Im 26 by the way and I still board.