AE86 drift/rally project- angle grinders at the ready

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by jamesg6r, Apr 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. jamesg6r

jamesg6r Member

Got it's MOT today. Super excited about testing it up at Santa Pod this month. It's been a long resto,but well worth it. :wack:
    [​IMG]

2. jamesg6r

jamesg6r Member

Small update. Ive had the car on the road for over a month now, and done one drift day so far. Like anything with a new car, the setup was all wrong haha. Lex was very helpful in lending some advise, as I'm used to driving more powerful BMW's aha. Loved it after a couple of laps on the EDC. The coilover spring rate was far too harsh, especially up at pod which can be a little bumpy. To fix this i have ordered some 220lbs coilover springs to replace the 300lbs ones. And whilst I'm working on the coilovers I bought some Techno Toy Tuning steering arms for extra lock :D seeing as the standard lock isn't great.

I'm doing an autosolo/gymkhana championship this year through my motorclub, and hopefully I can set up the car better and get more confidence at drift days etc. Might even do the Retro Drift Championship license day for a laugh with 130bhp of 4age powerz :o Probably more like 100bhp, but who gives a shit about horsepower anyways!

Photos from my first drift day in the car. Photos by Stylecase.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. jamesg6r

jamesg6r Member

Got some goodies in the post :) Got my first gymkhana event next week, so looking forward to testing these new T3 knuckles and altered coilover rate. [​IMG]

4. jamesg6r

jamesg6r Member

For St Patrick's day not only it being my birthday but my motorclub ran a gymkhana at Bovingdon Airfield. It was a huge laugh and loved the new setup on the corolla. The T3 knuckes meant I didn't even come close to spinning! It was mediocre. And the new setup on the coilovers too mean't the car actually turned into corners.

Here are some action shots of me and my mate's S14 hammering it around. Wish I had some video, but none for now. I used pretty sticky Dunlop rally compound tires for extra grip when sideways. Pretty chuffed I came 3rd in class, 9 seconds slower overall than a 250bhp kitcar, which I mean weighted about 500kgs and flew like shit off a shovel, so the trusty little corolla done well!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Friend's s14, who was ripping hard!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/63949_10151309431817027_883022764_n.jpg

5. hansen

hansen Member

well this turned out really well! loving the fuel set up dude! very nice! :)

6. jamesg6r

jamesg6r Member

Thanks for the positive feedback mate, it's good to know what people think. Looks like you have an 86 too, have you got a build thread? :thumbs:

7. littleT_23

littleT_23 Member

What an awesome car.