cheap ebay dished steering wheels ?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by rockers, Nov 29, 2012.

1. -Tommy.

-Tommy. Member

I had a cheap nasty one with a name no-ones ever heard of.. was quite flexible but never went out of shape. Not ideal though!

2. dustyjake

dustyjake Member

I've had 2 cheapos one fractured and I threw it in the bin, the second split a whole spoke so that got launched in the nearest bush. I HATE cheap shit, can't underestimate the importance of being able to steer. Saying that I have no power steering so that would be a consideration.

3. classicvin

classicvin Member

Had a cheap dished 350mm steering wheel off ebay on my last car, had no problems with it and was fine for the money. No i'm rocking a 330mm omp suede rep non dished and also no complaints! (even came with a genuine omp hornpush :D

4. macharper

macharper Member

got a Mcgills wheel with their weld-on boss and quick release coupling, I have used and abused it for several months, several crashes.... and its doing really well.

their is a touch play in release setup but it was £60 for the whole lot, I have used OMP.Momo and Sparco with various brands of bosses and this setup is mint for skids but not oem haha

hope this helps!

#24 macharper, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  5. dacky20

dacky20 Member

6. weddy1988

weddy1988 New Member

Own a deep dish mcgill motorsports as does a friend found they were the cheapest around and cant fault it

7. luckyluke13

luckyluke13 Active Member

Anyone using a richbrook silicone grip wheel?

8. nkroogman08

nkroogman08 Member

Dafuq lol ain't seen that yet hahah

9. Mike@TDSW

Mike@TDSW Active Member

I had a sparco and it kept coming undone from the boss, the suede wore off and when I crashed it folded up pretty well.

I've now got an eBay special, the nastiest rough finish on the spokes that I've been swinging my 30st self in and out the car on for 2 years no problems.

10. Dex

Dex kut!

Vivid racing steering wheel, allmost 8 years now, including the NRG snap-off. no problems EVER. fecking love it, been in dont know how many cars

11. cory

cory Member

Unfortunately they do bend. I was in a crash with mine and it looked like it was on backwards

12. Big Bear

Big Bear Member

Is it worth getting one for a road car? I'd imagine they have a better feel and better control of the car, would this be apparent on day to day spirited driving?

13. stacky

stacky Family 4door drifter

I have had an OMP and a cheepo McGill's one..... The cheep one was "almost" just as good. Infact, i just bought my second cheepo one last week....

14. pwalker

pwalker Member

iv had a cheep one on for bit now and it's absolutely spot on...it says omp but iv never believed it :p...il try find the link

15. pwalker

pwalker Member

16. cory

cory Member

I had one from mcgills on eBay. It was fine until a drunk crashed in to me head on
    [​IMG]

17. Munkul

Munkul Active Member

Did you consider that maybe it was supposed to deform like that? I may be wrong though. But tbh most of the aftermarket wheels would do that, and at least it didn't snap and drive a spoke through your face.
    At the end of the day, anything with exposed metal and no airbag is gonna be pretty shitty in a crash.

Sent from my personal telephone, like a boss.

18. m.d.

m.d. Active Member

The amount the a pillar is bent id say that was a savage impact and I would be surprised if any aftermarket steering wheel didn't bend with that

19. Gooly

Gooly Member

Alot of talk here about cheap bosses, I've got a weird no-name one that came with my S13, its grey, quite slim and has 70/74mm fittings on it, should I be worried? How bad can a cheap boss be? It seems pretty sturdy...

20. 93s13nick

93s13nick Member

Iv got a fake MOMO one, identical to the snapped OMP one photo'd on this thread :gulp: used it in cars for years and it never flexed like the Driftworks video one, infact I never noticed it flex at all, its connected to my logitech G27 nowadays so even thou I regually crash at 180mph it seems fine, :p