200sx s14a Anti Lag System

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Silviafan, Apr 15, 2013.

1. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

Where else have you seen it? Pulsar?

2. Silviafan

Silviafan Member

Yes, pulsars are good cars for rallycross and rally. I have seen some with ALS too

3. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Pulsars and SR20 engine rallycross cars, yup.

One I remember the most about 2000 when a mate got a Collins Performance or someone to supply him a chip for his Pulsar (this is back in the day where 'superchipping' something was literally the thing everyone did). They didn't have one but got one from somewhere for him.
    Fucking thing was obv' a GrpN rally chip as jesus fuck didn't it have some anti-lag on it, was fucking ridiculous.

4. kam

Dunno why everyone doesn't tune on EPROM tbh, if it was good enough for old WRC, F1 it's good enough for 99% of stuff now.

5. Munkul

Munkul Active Member

you're taking the piss, right?

6. Lasse

Lasse Member

ALS.is just awesome...

Gaz Whiter and Fanga Dan ran ALS og their cars in 2010..

7. Lasse

Lasse Member

Dave Briggs is also using ALS on his sr24vet this year in FD..

sounds very beasty..

8. Silviafan

Silviafan Member

I never heard of that engine, which car has it? :O And it sounds like a monster

9. Lasse

Lasse Member

It´s a stroked sr20det with a neo VVL head. take a look at Mazworx.com they have all the good (expensive) stuff there..

10. chidley

chidley i like fingers

cheers for clearing that up, i know the difference between lean and rich, just couldnt figure out which way round this would be :)

i know what your saying about that kid, i watched it and thought, fuck, im older than this guy! what the hell does he know? but it did enlighten me of what anti-lag essentially does.. im quite interested in this, not to do on my car as im guarenteed to just cause detonation and melt my pistons, but still interested never the less :)

11. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

it wont ever cause detonation and melt pistons?

not sure how right/wrong the lad on pootoob is, had a quick browse thru, he was annoying, so i didnt watch it all. knowing 99% of anti-lag explanations on the net he's probably at least part wrong mind lol.

12. Silviafan

Silviafan Member

I tried to explain how it works in one of my previous comments, you can believe me, atleast thats how we build als for evo's and subaru's and for my silvia. And yes it runs very rich, it "doubles" my fuel consumption when it is turned on :)

13. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

I know YOU know how it works! I agree with what you said! I ran a similar ALS setup to you. You're correct. :)

14. chidley

chidley i like fingers

fair sniffs about the det, just figured with it throwing fuel in with a retarded spark it would cause the fuel to detonate a bit late, and possibly cause damage to the pistons but im probably wrong, i just replace engines when they go wrong instead of rebuild them :p

would be cool to see what an sr20 with ALS is like, if it is how you explain ALS to feel like Stavros..

15. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Right Chidley, essay time, this might help a bit lol...

Det is caused by fuel igniting too soon, rather than too late. Det is generally when the combustion happens when the cylinder is still on the way up and the valves are shit, so the combustion can't escape from through the valves and can do nothing but try to force the piston back down (not gonna happen), so the pressure and heat in that combustion chamber gets mega high mega fast, so shit either pops, melts, or bends.

High EGTs are caused by fuel lighting too late though.

For ALS to work properly the ign is retarded hugely for two reasons- To prevent the engine itself from making power (so accelerating or just not slowing at all) when the throttle bypass valve(s) open and combustion is taking place, and also so the combustion is taking place so late that the exhaust valves are open, so it goes straight out of these, so the turbine of the turbo receives the energy from the combusion, rather than the piston being pushed down.

ALS in all its forms basically turns the turbo in to how a jet engine works. In this form the engine is basically doing the job the combuster normally does on a jet engine.

And yeah, it's pretty impossible to describe the feeling of a correctly working ALS system properly, need to feel it really, but as I'm sure OP will agree with, it just feels like a massive N/A engine of the same peak power and torque levels of your current little turbo engine. Fuck, when first experienced it on a mates car I moved bloody heaven and earth to have it, the difference was that big.
    No matter how small and unlaggy the turbos (even the most modern turbocharged engines on diesels and little shopping cars, never mind performance cars), anyone can feel the difference in throttle response, throttle control, and power delivery between a turbo engine and a big N/A engine with the same peak power and torque levels.
    But ALS makes them feel the same, basically. There's no turbo kicking in, its already there.

#35 Stavros, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  16. kam

Nah, all "stage" chips are cool too.
    Loads of people tuning on stock ECU's no problem.

17. Munkul

Munkul Active Member

Kam, go play with a real ecu and then tell us that eprom chips are cool.

For that matter, have you ever tuned an ecu at all? Do you even know how chip writers and emulators etc work, as opposed to modern standalones with rewritable eeprom memory? Do you know the hassle that it gives, as opposed to the modern real time tuning and memory burning?

Sorry to off topic like this, but your random comment praising up aincent technology like you knew what you were talking about just annoyed me, thats all.

Sent from my personal telephone, like a boss.

18. kam

Didn't praise anything, didn't say I know anything.
    Wish I had a life that un-involved that I was annoyed about a random forum post :wack:

19. Munkul

Munkul Active Member

I dunno what you mean :D

I'm a self-confessed tuning geek, so anything that makes life easier for self-tuning is a plus... buggering about making changes, burning chips and connecting emulators etc is nowhere near as easy as plugging a serial/USB cable into an ecu... and the features you get on most standalones are far superior to the features on most standard ECUs... there are very few ECUs that have a 2-step launch or flatshift built in, for example, never mind full-blown antilag. (the pulsars never had this on their stock ECUs so there must have been some sort of hardware changes as well as a chip involved, on the one stav was on about)

yeah Nistune works pretty well because it has the emulator and EPROM built into it and the whole system just apes a standalone. Still not as simple to tune as a megasquirt/DTA/Link/etc etc, though, because of the AFM instead of MAP for load, and because it was never designed to be modified, its all calculated through injector pulsewidth (as in, the ignition timing is linked directly to the injector/MAF resizing through the load scales, what a backwards arse-over-tit way of designing a tuning device!)
    As opposed to simple TPS and/or MAP blended tuning, where injector size or MAP sensor capacity has nothing to do with the load scales.

Anyways that's enough bitching from me.

#39 Munkul, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  20. Silviafan

Silviafan Member

And there are very big differences between "professional" ECU-s aswell. My friend's evo 9 had a motec ECU. and we decided to to try out a Link ecu. Simply changin the ecu (same guy programmed it, nothing changed in car but the ecu) meant 7 HP and 13 Nm. Which doesnt sound much, but in rally it IS a lot of change. It's kind of suprising because the motec is said to be way better, and the Link costed the 1/4 price of that. Guess it depends how the system handles a specific engine, or idk.

Here is a vid about that car too, if anyone is interested :