Youth Group Drift Project

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by timsmr2, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Nutter

Nutter Member

Get in touch with Asda, they look to sponsor local efforts.

Looks like a good project aswell. Keep up the good work

Tom

2. J--T

J--T Member

Brilliant way to get the youth doing something productive, it will give them experience behind the wheel too so they will be better drivers too. well done

3. TommyB

TommyB Member

this is an excellent way to get youths involved in cars. wish there was something like this near me! will be watching this closely as it develops.

4. liamjrhodes

liamjrhodes Member

Just a recommendation, I can't see a brand on the steering wheel and if it it one of the cheap ebay ones they are known to be very weak and bend during drifting/hard use so be careful

5. V2GPG

V2GPG Member

:) this is awesome wish I had something like this at that age gd luck with it :)

6. Wackojacko.

Wackojacko. Member

Excellent work.

Best of luck with the project.

7. DIoX|DaZ

DIoX|DaZ Member

Best luck to your project! :)

8. timsmr2

timsmr2 Member

It is an ebay one that we got. But it does seem strong also a few other members have said that they have had good experiences with this brand.

Drifting Steering Wheel Black Suede/Spars Race Dished 350mm Deep Dish Drift E36 | eBay

9. timsmr2

timsmr2 Member

We have fitted the coilovers (JOMS) the fronts are fine (if anything they need to be raised)

[​IMG]

but the rears are too high. We have even removed the adjuster completely so that its just the spring and the 2 bits of rubber above and below. Here is how it looked a couple of days after install.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(tyre sizes are 205/55/16 which i think is standard for e46 alloys)

I have heard that JOMs need up to 2 weeks to settle but will they really go down that much or is there something we have done wrong?

Another thing i was thinking is that the car is completely stripped at the moment so maybe it needs more weight to settle properly.

Any ideas?

10. Boo_kong

Boo_kong aka boo_kong

cut the spring down and put the adjuster back in. cut it enough so the car sits at it's lowest with the adjuster on min: that way you can lift the car to whatever.

11. timsmr2

timsmr2 Member

Does that height look normal for newly installed jom rears as I have been looking around Google and most seem a lot lower.

I am hoping to rule out any product/installation issues before we look at cutting.

Also the car is stripped and has not been driven since install would some extra weight over the rear help things settle?

12. chidley

chidley i like fingers

as silly as it sounds, try getting a couple of lads to put there weight on the back end, you might find the spring itself hasnt sat into the rubber, as there quite a tight fit, i used to put the rubbers on the spring first then put them on the car that way id know everything was seated correctly.

failing that just cut a third off the old springs, that should make it sit lower

13. timsmr2

timsmr2 Member

Thanks, we'll get them to jump up and down in the boot next session and see what happens.

14. Bartman

Bartman New Member

Really impressed with this, keep up the good work :).

15. kiruji

kiruji Active Member

Echoing everyone else, this is a brilliant project. :thumbs:

16. pwalker

pwalker Member

you should open a donation thing on here through pay pall or something.... id be willing to donate a couple of quid....especially if people can see on here what there donations are getting for the car etc. aslong as theres plenty of pics etc

17. Haynesey

Haynesey Active Member

Good idea, introduce them to the proper way of doing it while learning all about it etc!! I am involved in a similar thing down our way but with an elise engined rover 45 track car.......brilliant fun!!

18. chidley

chidley i like fingers

+no wonder your 14's never finished haynesey! agree with the donation thing though, thats a good idea for sure

19. timsmr2

timsmr2 Member

I would love to hear more about your project, we are just really finding our feet here and it would be good to have contact with other similar projects so we can swap notes.

20. timsmr2

timsmr2 Member

Good call! We got them to jump up and down in the boot and it now looks to be sitting much lower.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]