Youth Group Drift Project

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by timsmr2, Oct 3, 2012.

1. chidley

chidley i like fingers

happy days :)

2. timsmr2

timsmr2 Member

3. winston

winston Member

Fair play mate , I wish I had this opportunity when I was a nipper :) lucky kids :)

4. Momanatorz

Momanatorz Member

What are the plans so far? Looks drift ready to me :)
    Where will you guys drift? Difficult to find places to allow young people to drive?

5. chidley

chidley i like fingers

good point, where can you teach teenagers to drift? im guessing you can approach them as a charity rather than a private individual though so might get further, could just inform them that you may invite a few experienced people to help teach etc. definately nowhere with walls though, dont want to see them get hurt

6. timsmr2

timsmr2 Member

The main issue is going to be insurance. As you guys said most track days are 18+. Also none of them can drive.

We have been working on the driving side, and so far we have agreement from the insurance company for them to drive the car in the car park (on and off ramps etc). We also have a possible second location which is an MOD parade ground that we have used before to do an under 17s driving course.

As far as driving goes, first step will be probably to get them to do some sort of normal driving so they can get used to driving plus some slow laps of the car park and possibly a couple of go kart days.

For drifting we are hoping to get permission to use the local parade ground, then we will have to sweet talk the insurance. I think they will be wanting things like a roll cage & harnesses before they will insure, we were also thinking of fitting dual controls.

Also we will need to get the insurance company to agree on who can instruct them.

7. chidley

chidley i like fingers

could just tell the youths that they can only drift it when 18 or over, gives them something to look forward to and hopefully stick to until said time.. sorta like a goal?

8. rs_cabby

rs_cabby Member

Love this, great project for the kids hopefully you will get everything in place so they can learn to drive/drift it clearing out my garages over the next few weeks full of e30/e36 parts il give you a shout if there anything of use!

9. timsmr2

timsmr2 Member

Yeah hoping that with the right safety features and instructors we should be able to get insurance to agree.

10. timsmr2

timsmr2 Member

Anything you do have would be greatly appreciated thanks :)

11. timsmr2

timsmr2 Member

Last Saturday we had a car session to remove all the rest of the sound deadening

[​IMG]

clean as much of the residue off as possible

[​IMG]

and finally spray over the grey areas in prima and BMW Alpine White

[​IMG]

Don't think its an exact match (haven't seen it since it dried) but its definitely an improvement .

Next step is to tidy up the wiring and then get things like the seat fitted :cool:

We were also out Tuesday (as its half term) looking for sponsors. The guys got a good response from some local businesses and also Tesco Tidworth who are letting us do a fundraising day on the 13th July.

more details on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/YouthDrift

#71 timsmr2, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
  12. timsmr2

timsmr2 Member

Just a quick update we have been working hard to get the car ready for our first show tomorrow (Tidworth Fair)

we have most of the cabling tidied and have fitted the seat and added one of the harnesses we were generously donated by Neil Dawson (although harness isnt secured behind yet).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We sticker bombed the the steering wheel

[​IMG]

Finally the car was picked up by probably the coolest car transporter ever (Thanks to 2 Royal Welsh)

[​IMG]

13. Ross.

Ross. Active Member

That's awesome that you're getting a helping hand with this!

When'll the kids be skidding it??

14. Neild

Neild Member

A worthy cause for the harnesses mate, no point them sitting on a shelf here and never being used. Wish there was something like this around when I was growing up. If I ever have anything that I'm not going to use kicking about it will be in the post. Hopefully get down from Scotland in the future and see the young lads giving it big skids in the future
    Cheers
    Neil :D

15. rover

rover Guest

Lol these kids own a better car then I do.

16. timsmr2

timsmr2 Member

It been a long time with no update as the group doesnt run over the summer holidays.

First thing to say is a big Thanks you to Mo & Superstyle Garage for the Sponsorship

We now have these to install :cool:

[​IMG]

We have also been looking at getting a cage for the car. We are thinking Bolt in due to it being easier to

install and also easier to move to a new car (incase we damage this one too much).

Can anyone recommend a good bolt in cage for the e36 saloon ?

Also has anyone used a Safetydevices cage before ?

17. taylorwallace9

18. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

safety devices make good cages. they are a known quantity/FIA approved.