Southwall Smokers Lydden Hill Drift Day 22nd June

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by lezbrucelee, May 14, 2013.

1. Momanatorz

Momanatorz Member

Also agree the wall should be continuous, but i'm no longer scared of it lol. more scared of the gravel pit damage my rims, but then i don't care when it actually happenns... what am i doing with my life

2. emil_b_g

emil_b_g Member

I agree with Lez on everything guys this is a drift day on a proper fast race track. I was in the intermediate group and was a passenger a few times in the novice group and cannot understand why people slow down before devils elbow and form a que. Most people are now drifting Chessons and are coming out on high speed drifting out of Chessons blind to find slow cars dragging their ass before devils elbow. Fine your skills dont permit you mental entry but that doesn't mean you need to approach devils elbow at 20 miles per hour drive fast and slow down to a comfortable speed before the corner.

2ndly you need to be predictable so if you are not going fast that means you have either broke down or have a flat tyre either way if you gas is not flat out somebody behind you is flat out and let them pass. That way drifting will keep flowing.

Lez maybe its time to get rid of the novice group and make 2 experienced 2 intermediate. In the Novice group i knew 5 people were to be booked in the intermediate but due to lack of space ended up in the novice and in the novice group there were some kamikadzes really keen on drifting but not having enough skills one silver e36 in front of us span on the entry into Chessons than instead of taking it eazy started drifting the rest of the corner and lost control on the way out of chessons almost totaling the car on the inner barrier. I will try to post the video.

I know everybody is keen on drifting but spinning 4 times in one lap i am sure all the guys in the novice group will be upset with drifting like that.

3. xborninthefightx

xborninthefightx JZX BOSS

err I think there needs to be 2 novice groups as there was a lot of people which shouldnt of been in intermediate:

Spin out group
    Can hold it group
    Able group
    turning pro group
    Fully sick group

4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Member

yer sorry m8 fucked it up about 5 times in a row. Thanks for not hitting me will let you past next time if i see you.

5. Rhys

Rhys Member

I think the only problem is lydden is not a novice track at all if one person spins with 24 others out on the track it creates a bottle neck that doesn't clear for the hole session, i watched some people spin pretty much every lap, i know everyones gotta start somewhere but i dont think lydden is the place for complete newbies to start learning and the amount off people i see that spin and then roll back into the cars path thats following is scary !

6. spaniel

spaniel bigballs small brain

Thats cool i just grabbed the hydro before i took your rear quarter out

7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Member

Will give you a big hug if i see you next time lol

8. spaniel

Its in the video i ou in the media section. Towards the end of the one my mate filmed from the grandstand. Got a few bits of you in it

9. lezbrucelee

lezbrucelee Southwall Smokers

We're going to try with 5 groups, Don't worry it wont effect the amount of seat time people get, with the extra money lydden are going to pay the marshalls to work through lunch and later in the day, so it will work out you'll all get more seat time,

What it will effect is the paddock space so from now on all trailers will be parked on the gravel behind the toilets, if a car/truck/van isn't full of your tools/wheels it must be parked in the top gravel car park so we can have enough room in the paddock for all the drift cars.

The 5 groups will be
    Novice
    Novice/inters
    Inters
    Inter/pro
    Pros

There seems to be a trend of people saying they are inters when clearly your not, there is no shame in being in the novice group, its there for people to learn and get to grips with drfting.

10. Phil-Me-Up

Phil-Me-Up Member

I disagree, with the kill the novice people, I did my 1st EVER!! skidding at lydden last year, forced me to try and learn harder.(*and now im super pro d1 spec hero) people going slow and spinning as they aint got the skills yet, thats what Nov is for :) my m8 went out 1st time ever and at the end of the day was getting the hang of it... if ur not in nov then its not effecting you so just dont worry about it... people saying it should be taken out so thers more room in inters / pro is silly just book early.... lydden are prob seeing how popula it is and will end up having them more often.. the 5 group plan sounds good, as les said will go on later ect so seat time will be the same..
    bring on the next one :D hope the cars done by then haha

11. matt|H

matt|H Member

This will work well but only if you let people pick the groups (or they aren't randomly assigned at least).

When someone books intermediate they shouldn't be placed in whatever intermediate group has space but what one suites their driving and experience better. I know people that should be placed in a mix with pros in the inter/pro and I myself would prefer novice/inter if I were to move into intermediate.

12. spaniel

Yeah i think the groups could work well but the only problem is as spaces fill up people will have to go in which ever group there is space so there will still be a mix.

Personally i would like to stick in the intermediate group as i dont spin too much just the odd fuck up or when i get a bit cocky but i think the nov/inter would be to slow for me. I was getting annoyed last time at the slow entries into devils elbow.

13. Milton

Milton Member

as a spectator i loved the event, the weather in the morning wasnt the best but the cars made up for it :D.

The drifting all the looked great from my eyes and i only saw a few spins that looked like normal mistakes etc.

once the track dried up the amount of smoke was insane and the noise was great. the track looked great to drift on. well worth the 2 1/2 hour drive to watch. also seeing lex going out first on the dry track and link the whole back section and the amount of smoke was insane biggest smoke all day.

i want to say a big thanks to LEX and his partner for chatting with me all day and Mr Colgate for driving me up there. also to lex partner for even taken me out as a passanger in the dry was amazing she is a great drifter and i loved it ! also thanks to couple of others but didnt get your names :)

14. Phil-Me-Up

Phil-Me-Up Member

maybe if people when people book they look at it something like this (can change but its just an thought)

Novice (New to the game and have little to no seat time)

Novice/inters (Had a few drift days and feel confident enough to go faster and start linking)

Inters (Can link, keep good speed on entry and exit. and even if not skidding the back corner to save rubber still able to keep good speed)

Inter/pro (on way to besting the whole track)

Pros (Balls out the window style / BDC drivers)

Maby if people looked at it like that b4 booking they can slot in somewere???

15. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

call me a cunt but i really dont think lydden hill is a place for novices. if you are new to drifting/track driving go and learn the basics somewhere like santa pod. as sooner or later someone will end up getting hurt or writing off someone elses car due to their driving.

and its not fair on everyone else who has paid their money that dont even get the chance to drift more than one corner without someone spinning out.

16. Phil-Me-Up

Phil-Me-Up Member

Cunt...... :p hahaha i kid i kid, i see wat your saying but the Nov group is for just that thing tho, they all spin about doing there thing, there going alot slower ect and i haven't seen any crashes in Nov just on ya own style stuff... because there new there keeping well away from eachother

I agree that b4 taking on lydden have some basic skills (roundabouts / pod ect) but dont get rid

17. Milton

Milton Member

i was gonna say it but thought beter of it ;) and you cannot mean on public roads on roundabouts that would be illegal and we wouldnt do anything like that :wave:, as a spectator i saw hardly any spins. there was more spins at santa pod in my opinion as there is no groups there you can get couple of novices on big track fist time and couple of BDC legends linking the whole track. (im not slating pod at all or lydden)

18. lezbrucelee

ur a cunt;)

19. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

i said it on the last thread this was discussed, seems to be the norm... but 5 groups.. lez honestly mate i dont see this working... the pits are already crowded and moving trailers etc, well now its basicly a bdc event and the whole relaxed chill out vibe will go...

it will be rush rush rush..

for me personally i wont be coming back while 5 groups are running... i cant see how it will work better and give more seat time...

call me a cunt if you like but lydden hill is NOT a novice track... simple as that really... i went and learned at pod, like others who also used norfolk etc...

i have first hand experience of being in the novice group at last day by accident.. if i was a newb i would have learned fuk all as a car was spun on every corner of every lap...

ill pay £150 if it meant more seat time...

20. lezbrucelee

I dont think moving trailers out of the way is really an issue if people arrive on time then the day would run as normal.