Minty.Fresh Franken'14

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Jites, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Jites

Jites Active Member

Thanks man, cheers for those fuses, wouldnt of got home without them!

The celica has to be the best tow vehicle ive seen haha! savage.

good effort! you have a CA gearbox to go in though so at least you have the parts

Plans this weekend are to fix that loom and patch the bumper back together with fiberglass this time. Again, not used fibergalss before so will be a good learning experience for me

Placed some stickers on my car last night. been collecting them for a while until I thought they needed to go on to show some support
    [​IMG]

2. Jites

Jites Active Member

So this weekend went well (thats odd... usually its a shower of shit) anyway, ordered up a soldering iron from ebay and got a few pointers from Herman and Stu_ how to join wires and heat shrink them and went to work
    [​IMG]

Was a bit gutted when I tok the loom apart and found that almost all the wires were needing sections replaced and joined. This took ages, I had a lot of help from Stu who took out all the plugs in the cabin as I takled the wires
    [​IMG]

The mental alarm system I have didnt make it easy, had lots of random wires and crap everywhere
    [​IMG]

Had to cut the little triangle out a bit to fit the large plug through
    [​IMG]

This took all day haha!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This mess was the alarm system of doom. Wasnt too hard to put back, just really annoying
    [​IMG]

While I was wiring I thought getting the boost controller wired up. Nice easy job compared to what I was expecting
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All back together. Roughly set the controller up, hits .7 bar right away then creeps to the target of .9. Needs a little tweeking but its soo much better to drive and doesnt feel like its being held back like before. Well happy with the results so far and there is still more to come

I also tied the bumper back together roughly and got the windows to go back up. I must of blown a fuse or relay or something when the loom got munched and they didny got back up until i took off the door cards and connected the battery to the motors directly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And back home
    [​IMG]

#182 Jites, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  3. mint

mint touch my fruit

full of win!

4. stuart.col

stuart.col Member

good to see that the car is out again man after a long time in intensive care, might head up on the 16th to get a wee day out and catch the bug again and get my finger out and maybe buy something to slide about for drift land opening

5. jonny mac

jonny mac 1jzS14

so did you pull the loom through the arch then just re route over the strut top? I was going to be doing that with mine but I want to move the fusebox when my engine is out so that'll all change things :S

6. Jites

Jites Active Member

cheers guys

I just disconnected the plugs from inside the car and pulled them through. Drift tengoku style, think there is a video of it on youtube

Good plan, you can do it from there as well but its more of a fuck around im lead to believe. so when is your jz s14 going to be ready?

7. Jites

Jites Active Member

After the last drift day one of my coolant lines decided it had had enough and pissed all over my drive. Under closer inspection it had been cooked at the end which attaches to the turbo and had split a little. Down on time and the fact that normal lines wont fit because of the conversion i have i had to cut it and refit the same line. Will look into replacing them on payday

Random snap when i went out for a test drive to test the line. all was well so I could go drifting
    [​IMG]

went out on Sunday to Crail for some seat time before Drift Land opens up as I need it bad

Got the car ready as usual and headed down
    [​IMG]

After ripping the loom out the last time I hadnt fixed the windows or air con and neither work. It was a boiling hot day and the 2 hour drive there was savage. I felt as if id been soaked with water by the time we arived, that needs some attention, thinking its either some wires that are broken or a fuse thats blown but ive not had a chance to look at it yet. probably look at it this weekend

Ended up smashing the rear bumper in exactly the same place as last time... at least it didnt break any more
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Properly blew a tyre up
    [​IMG]

Started to be link the oval by then end of the day and the car ran spot on. Just had a little issue with it over heating a bit. I guessing its because the track is so tight and quite easy to keep sideways there wasnt enough air getting through to cool it so a ne rad is defo on the cards as well as new lines
    [​IMG]

All in all though it was a great day to improve skills and test out the car before drift land on saturday. Now its a rush to service the car, collect wheels and change tyres. CAN'T WAIT!!!

8. kevinLee

kevinLee Member

I'm building an s14 na and want to turbo it, so ill be reading though this tonight.

9. Koncept_drifT

Koncept_drifT Member

10. peterpan101

peterpan101 Member

good work m8.

11. Jites

Jites Active Member

Ive nothad a chance to update this in a while, will get on it later. Kevin, if you are going to do that Ive got an S14a chipped half size ecu for sale if you know someone who can use osterich (sp) to map it. but IMO swap out the DE stuff for DET and keep the DE cams and throttle body as they are an upgrade and sell the rest. makes for an easy life or you can turbo the DE block but its more of a ball ache. PM me if you are interested

Cheers guys, will be hitting driftland again this saturday. Cant wait, sorted out a few issues, have solutions to others and a few media pics of me trying to skid lol

12. Jites

Jites Active Member

Been mega busy getting this car sorted. Not got many pictures this time round so will be a bit of a crap update

First off I got new front hubs. Nissan wanted £380 (with discount) each! sack that. almost £800 for two front hubs! managed to get a set via ebay for £150 delivered from the states. I started work, fine and easy job but took much longer than just swapping them over...
    [​IMG]

I had to swap the extended studs over as well, ended up snapping one. Thankfully I had a spare!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As per Driftland regulations I needed to fit tow straps, picked up a pair of these for £20 and fitted them. didnt notice until it was on but that is upsidedown... meh... will look at that when the bumper is off again
    [​IMG]

Went to driftland, had a blast! learned loads and i had a fair share of off's this time. Met up with our buddy Cam on the way home after he picked up his sick JZX100 Chaser
    [​IMG]

Didnt get much media this time round but this was one of my favourites
    [​IMG]

Id bent one of my tie rods at dirfland so bought a pair of Tein's from Drifworks. they were the same price as the japspeed ones i replaced but much better looking and quality. Used some string to roughly align them with a little toe out. Need to redo it as the steering wheel went off centre so a job for this weekend
    [​IMG]

Pete and Bigniks came round to help out
    [​IMG]

The aero had taken a beating from all the track action its seen recently, Mint was kind enough to fix it all up bar the filler with carbon kevilar. its super stong now and all one piece, thanks bro
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This picture just because.
    [​IMG]

13. mint

mint touch my fruit

Nice updates man! :) :)

14. chrisS14

chrisS14 Member

nice work man. did the front hubs come with the bearings? if so thats a really good price!

15. Jites

Jites Active Member

forgot to add, I was having problems blowing gaskets. Tried everything but a flexi section to solve it so bought on on eba for £5 and welded it in one night last week. I took insperation from PSM and Daze as he was having the same issue and i mounted the flexi where the 3 bolt flange used to be. This gave me the option of raising the downpipe up a bit and keeping clearance from the grouns and body
    [​IMG]

So far so good but i need to get the exhaust raised at the back. After doing this it kind of moved the low point down the exhaust but ive booked it in to get corrected as there is loads of room to shift it up further

Also got an H-Dev stage one chip put in and will be getting the boost set this weekend. Need to see a bar, its only at .7 just now and with the freshened up exhaust it feels a good bit better than before but still got room for impovement

16. Jites

Jites Active Member

yeah they did, TBH its just a bearing and a machined bit of metal, not £380 worth of precision work imo so check the american ebay, just search wheel bearing s14 and i got that as a result

17. Jites

Jites Active Member

Ive been enjoying driving the nissan the past few weeks, nothing has gone wrong strangely and since fitting the modded downpipe the gasket blowing issue has stopped and its been running well. I tweeked the boost controller a bit so it comes in harder sooner. Feels pretty good but its not perfect, going to check for boost leaks next weeekend as ive not done that in ages.

The driftland weekender is coming up on the 28/29th, getting the car ready for that will be easy, the hard part is trying to get some tyres. Ive almost ran out and im doing to really large sizes to need to go raid the local tyre pile and see what i can get. Will have some new wheels to built up before then hopefully, the powder coating should be done today :) other than that im going to tweet the alignment a bit as the toe out setting im running is way too savage on the road and is too twitchy so ill take it down to 0.1* toe out as im something like .25* each side iirc.

Some grainy images

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Trystan19

Trystan19 Member

lookin sweet buddy :)

19. Pete_the_Russian

Haha! At this point, you are the only one with a fully working car :D Little Datsun beats Toyota and Mazda.... for now

20. Jites

Jites Active Member

Ive been super lucky with this car recently, all ive had to do is drive it. so with that in mind i did a few things ive been putting off for one reason or another.

I dont have pics but on saturday night I went out to Minty Fresh HQ and tested the intercooler pipework to 2.5 bar without leaks. Was happy with that result, I thought it might have a leak but couldnt find any.

After that the front wheel alignment was re set. I had far to savage a toe out setting to changed it to almost 0* toe which is far more stable and better to drive on the road. still turns in fast but isnt snappy like it was before. the toe setting was pretty retarded tbh.

Yesterday was a chilled kinda day, woke up about 12, went to the garage and started work

Picked up the centres on firday before going on a tyre raid
    [​IMG]

Got the barrels, these were already polished but needed a final machine polish to get them proper shiny
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They didnt fit back easily so i had to take off a layer of powder coat and crud left on the barrel
    [​IMG]

Brand new bolts and nuts went in, had to cut out the old ones as they were propper fucked
    [​IMG]

Fronts
    [​IMG]

All done
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They look mega, the are enkei RS evo's for the rear but not sure what they are on the front, sizes are 17x9j et22 all round, not sure if im going to run 17/18 staggered yet, need to get some tyres on and have a play

All thats left to do for driftland is tape up my loom for protection, swap tyres and pack car, cant wait!